Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
How much a difference does it actually make in your life if you walk to a trail or get in a car and drive 3 minutes to one?
One less car trip. Less air pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How much of that walkable trails, shopping, etc. are you able to walk to (if you choose)?
I can't speak for the others, but I walk to all of that and more. Walked up to the Square for trivia, a beer and a light dinner on a whim just last night, actually. On Saturday, we will walk to the farmer's market and for me to get a haircut if the weather is good.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
There are a lot of suburban areas where people can walk to trails and parks. It's also common in suburban areas for walkers to use the streets on a shared basis with cyclists. Traffic is typically very light and slow moving and drivers are respectful of pedestrians. We know some folks who live on a cul-de-sac and it's a gathering place for the kids and grownups nearly every evening.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
No way, I could live in Bartow or Paulding. Hell, I hated the trek out to Rockdale after I moved. I don't know how I did it all those years.

I remember, I took a class in Paulding and I was shocked how something that looked so close on the map is so damn far away.
Distance is all relative.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:00 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
There are plenty of intown neighborhoods that are full of kids to play with. Go visit many of the parks in these areas and you will see it full of kids, birthday parties, etc.
Relative to a lot of OTP neighborhoods, these areas are empty of kids.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
I can't speak for the others, but I walk to all of that and more. Walked up to the Square for trivia, a beer and a light dinner on a whim just last night, actually. On Saturday, we will walk to the farmer's market and for me to get a haircut if the weather is good.
Historic Marietta is built on a human scale. Walkability is high, which drives the prices for that area. A gem in the low density, car-centric county of Cobb.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Quote:
There are a lot of suburban areas where people can walk to trails and parks.
Yup, there are, but i think it's also worth pointing out that we need to be a lot better at it.

For example, I live in a neighborhood with sidewalks. I am located within easy walking distance of the Chattahoochee River and a large shopping center. The problem is, there are no sidewalks on Peachtree Industrial Blvd., so I can not safely walk there. The county is building a multiuse trail on the road, but the problem is it is on the OTHER side of the road from me and there is no safe way for me to cross the road. It's also on the opposite side from the shopping center, so I'd have to figure out how to cross PIB, then walk on the sidewalk, then cross the road again. So that means I drive to these extremely nearby places.

I asked the mayor about this, and she told me that it's actually the county, not the city, that does these projects. She said not to hold my breath for a sidewalk on my side since the county is spending so much money on the other side and that in order for us to get a crosswalk where I need to cross the road would require a red light and the county would have to do an expensive traffic study to determine whether they should do that, and they probably won't. Kind of sounded to me like the old wisdom....."we won't get a red light until someone dies at the intersection." And truth be told, we don't need a red light. What we need is a cross walk with a light that never turns red unless someone is pressing the button waiting to cross the street.

So....while I think cqholt's argument about not driving a mile or two to trails and parks to reduce carbon footprints is a little ridiculous, a valid point is that the suburbs still have a lot of work to do on walkability. It's getting better, but there's still much to do. I don't see walkability to my nearby park or shopping center anytime soon, but hopping in the car and driving to them is such a small deal that I also don't see how it's a problem at all.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:12 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,027 times
Quote:
Historic Marietta is built on a human scale. Walkability is high, which drives the prices for that area. A gem in the low density, car-centric county of Cobb.
Thanks... I appreciate the kind comments. We certainly enjoy living in the area. It was already great when we moved there two years ago, yet it's amazing how much it's improved since then.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:19 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No way. I'm not saying the burbs aren't loaded with kids, but some intown hoods have just as many. Go to Grant Park on any given evening, and especially on weekends, and all you see are families. Until I had a kid, I felt like it was actually really difficult to meet people in the neighborhood because there are just so many families with young kids. The Grant Park Parents Network organizes events weekly for families in the park or surrounding area. There is a new art store opening on the corner of Ormond and Grant St that will have art classes for kids. Across the street is a new playground, constantly loaded with kids. Restaurants like Dakota Blue cater to families, providing chalk and games for kids in the restaurant. Every weekend there are birthday parties in both the large park and small park in the neighborhood. It is an extremely family-oriented intown community, which I don't think you could have said about it just 10 years ago. This is all in a walkable, bikeable in town community. I think the vibe is just different from a lot of suburban neighborhoods with cul-de-sac parties. It's a good vibe for some, not for others - to each his own.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:24 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Lots of kids live in Ansley Park, for instance. My children always had nearby buddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta