Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 06:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Now, I'm no CEO, or executive, or even a businessman...but I would think it would be a rather dumb idea to put your alternate headquarters in the same lowly-populated third of the country as your current headquarters. Especially a place like Denver, which, while probably a cool city, is still 500 miles from nowhere. Or a third of the country with about the same population as the Southeast or the Northeast alone.
Lowly populated 3rd? California alone has 39M, that's more than 1/10th of the nations total population. Yes it is sparsely populated, but that's from lack of water.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:54 AM

815 posts, read 709,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I don't get the willful ignorance by many on this forum and others. There are many cities that can accommodate Amazon. The questions that NOBODY can answer, but those at Amazon who are the decision makers is what of the criteria matters most, or the mix of criteria and city assets as they decide.

Nobody knows this. Of course Amazon has cities that it thinks are more likely than others, but this is big decision. This is more than simply having a city in mind and extorting more money.

What you just wrote here is obvious, so I don't get your beef and why you would use the term "willful ignorance" unless you're just trying to shut down opinions you don't like. If someone actually knew, then this thread wouldn't hae reached 100 pages. I posted what I believe Amazon will do based on the evidence that we have--the evidence which I believe points more and more toward Atlanta. I could be wrong, but until Amazon makes a formal announcement, we won't know.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
paradoxical....

There reason why over 200,000 plus collage age young adult was crowding Atlanta streets in the 90's.. for Freaknik. Instead of going to a beach. I'm 1,000,000 % sure their thought process wasn't Atlanta is "vanilla" and "not cool"......

http://www.ajc.com/rf/image_lowres/P...1207164847.jpg

90's Seattle Grudge music

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HeartyAnim...ll-max-1mb.gif

In the south not just Atlanta in particular was know for wilder and faster Hip hop with more Energy, Crunk was basically black Grunge or punk rock. And Atlanta basically became the cross roads of the south.

I'm Pretty sure it's not just "on this forum"

https://78.media.tumblr.com/250baa1b...qm7gtx_500.gif

Atlanta in the 90's for southern urban music genres and etc, was basically the same what Seattle was doing in Grudge Rock music..............but by the 2000's it went from a regional movement to a straight up take over the music industry. Not only did Atlanta become big in Hip hop but R&B, as well as general urban entertainment, Atlanta was rivaling Black Hollywood before tax credits even came.

Culture Wars - Trap Music Keeps Atlanta On Hip-Hop's Cutting Edge. Why Can't The City Embrace It?

Can Atlanta Become the Music Industry's Next Business Hub?

How Atlanta Became the New Cultural Capital of America

I'm posting this a lot lately... but this study wasn't shocking.... If you grew up listening urban music it basically common sense that Atlanta was dominate urban music to a extend it was generally dominating the music industry.

A new study ranks Atlanta, not New York or L.A., as the most influential on our musical tastes.

In last 15 years it seems like half of artists you heard on urban radio across the country was Atlantan. it's to a point if people hear a trap beat they assume an artist is from Atlanta until they learn others wise.

Usher 1 Diamond 4 Platinum, 1 gold Album

Monica 3 Platinum, 2 gold Albums

112 3 Platinum, 1 gold albums

Ciara 2 Platinum, albums

xscape 3 Platinum albums

Jagged Edge 2 Platinum, 2 gold albums

Outkast 1 Diamond, 5 Platinum albums

TLC 4 Platinum albums

TI 5 Platinum 2 gold albums

Ludacris 5 Platinum 2 gold albums

Jeezy 2 Platinum 2 gold. albums

Lil Jon 2 Platinum 1 gold. albums

Future 2 Platinum 4 gold albums

Ying yang twins 2 Platinum albums

Arrested Development 1 Platinum, 1 gold albums

Migos 1 Platinum album

2 Chainz 1 Platinum album

CeeLo Green 1 Platinum albums

Others Atlanta sings that went gold...... lloyd, Bobby V, Keri Hilson, Gucci mane, The Dream, Goodie Mobb, Dem Franchize Boyz, Yung Joc.

That's 26 different artist or act from Atlanta since the 1992 that received at least gold albums.

Babyface, Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, Neyo, Keyshia Cole, Nelly, Nas , Akon, ..... are multi platinum artist that one point lived in Atlanta.

The Soul train award has been in Atlanta 3 times.

BET has it's Hip hop awards show in Atlanta annually........

http://www.dailyherald.com/storyimag...H=800&noborder

aries4118 comments are pretty much on point.
I wish I could give you some rep points for this post! Takes me back down memory lane. Yes, I definitely see the parallels between grunge.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:04 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Wow this thread is reaching new lows.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:06 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Amazon wasn't successful in Seattle because of the grunge scene and Amazon won't pick Atlanta because of the hip hop scene.

Oh, and they won't pick Denver because of weed. lol.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:31 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Quote:
What you just wrote here is obvious, so I don't get your beef and why you would use the term "willful ignorance" unless you're just trying to shut down opinions you don't like.
Not at all. You apparently didn't read what I wrote.

Quote:
If someone actually knew, then this thread wouldn't hae reached 100 pages.
And your point is...?

Quote:
I posted what I believe Amazon will do based on the evidence that we have--the evidence which I believe points more and more toward Atlanta. I could be wrong, but until Amazon makes a formal announcement, we won't know.
We don't have evidence. You don't have evidence. You have speculation.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Amazon wasn't successful in Seattle because of the grunge scene and Amazon won't pick Atlanta because of the hip hop scene.

I don't think anyone is saying Amazon would pick Atlanta because of that. It's just interesting to note the parallels between the two cities.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:26 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post

Thats not my point a writer wrote atlanta had a lack of "coolness" and that could affect amazon picking Atlanta. Which is silly in itself, and then silly because Atlanta is one of the most profile cities that set trends in pop culture.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
paradoxical....

There reason why over 200,000 plus collage age young adult was crowding Atlanta streets in the 90's.. for Freaknik. Instead of going to a beach. I'm 1,000,000 % sure their thought process wasn't Atlanta is "vanilla" and "not cool"......

http://www.ajc.com/rf/image_lowres/P...1207164847.jpg

90's Seattle Grudge music

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HeartyAnim...ll-max-1mb.gif

In the south not just Atlanta in particular was know for wilder and faster Hip hop with more Energy, Crunk was basically black Grunge or punk rock. And Atlanta basically became the cross roads of the south.

I'm Pretty sure it's not just "on this forum"

https://78.media.tumblr.com/250baa1b...qm7gtx_500.gif

Atlanta in the 90's for southern urban music genres and etc, was basically the same what Seattle was doing in Grudge Rock music..............but by the 2000's it went from a regional movement to a straight up take over the music industry. Not only did Atlanta become big in Hip hop but R&B, as well as general urban entertainment, Atlanta was rivaling Black Hollywood before tax credits even came.

Culture Wars - Trap Music Keeps Atlanta On Hip-Hop's Cutting Edge. Why Can't The City Embrace It?

Can Atlanta Become the Music Industry's Next Business Hub?

How Atlanta Became the New Cultural Capital of America

I'm posting this a lot lately... but this study wasn't shocking.... If you grew up listening urban music it basically common sense that Atlanta was dominate urban music to a extend it was generally dominating the music industry.

A new study ranks Atlanta, not New York or L.A., as the most influential on our musical tastes.

In last 15 years it seems like half of artists you heard on urban radio across the country was Atlantan. it's to a point if people hear a trap beat they assume an artist is from Atlanta until they learn others wise.

Usher 1 Diamond 4 Platinum, 1 gold Album

Monica 3 Platinum, 2 gold Albums

112 3 Platinum, 1 gold albums

Ciara 2 Platinum, albums

xscape 3 Platinum albums

Jagged Edge 2 Platinum, 2 gold albums

Outkast 1 Diamond, 5 Platinum albums

TLC 4 Platinum albums

TI 5 Platinum 2 gold albums

Ludacris 5 Platinum 2 gold albums

Jeezy 2 Platinum 2 gold. albums

Lil Jon 2 Platinum 1 gold. albums

Future 2 Platinum 4 gold albums

Ying yang twins 2 Platinum albums

Arrested Development 1 Platinum, 1 gold albums

Migos 1 Platinum album

2 Chainz 1 Platinum album

CeeLo Green 1 Platinum albums

Others Atlanta sings that went gold...... lloyd, Bobby V, Keri Hilson, Gucci mane, The Dream, Goodie Mobb, Dem Franchize Boyz, Yung Joc.

That's 26 different artist or act from Atlanta since the 1992 that received at least gold albums.

Babyface, Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, Neyo, Keyshia Cole, Nelly, Nas , Akon, ..... are multi platinum artist that one point lived in Atlanta.

The Soul train award has been in Atlanta 3 times.

BET has it's Hip hop awards show in Atlanta annually........

http://www.dailyherald.com/storyimag...H=800&noborder

aries4118 comments are pretty much on point.
You forgot to mention that Outkast, Usher, AND TLC have diamond albums with TLC's Crazysexycool being the highest selling album in LaFace's history 23 million copies sold.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:58 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Now, why would Mr Bezos care about our music industry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta