Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 08:49 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,455,266 times

Advertisements

Home Depot just announced a major IT expansion in Atlanta. Most new jobs will be in ATL.

"Home Depot Inc. (NYSE: HD) will add about 1,000 tech jobs as part of a $11.1 billion three-year strategic investment plan.

The expansion positions the Atlanta-based home improvement giant to better defend against a burgeoning Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN)."

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...tech-jobs.html

Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,882,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'm reminded of the catch line of the Houston Metro rail vote, "What if we didn't build it and they came anyway?"

Metro Atlanta hasn't built much of any form of transportation since the Olympics and they keep coming. The latest proposals need to result in action if the area isn't going to strangle itself and drive business off. Economic development officials have been saying for years that traffic has discouraged companies from coming here. Similarly, Cumberland/Galleria officials have been saying lack of transit has stifled their growth. I imagine the same is true of Gwinnett Place.
I have said this time and again when the argument about building roads causing sprawl.... It sprawled anyway! That metro Atlanta is not more interconnected by freeways is one of the lasting detriments to an otherwise wonderful city and why I believe it will never catch Dallas or Houston. Sad.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,910,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have said this time and again when the argument about building roads causing sprawl.... It sprawled anyway! That metro Atlanta is not more interconnected by freeways is one of the lasting detriments to an otherwise wonderful city and why I believe it will never catch Dallas or Houston. Sad.
If this would have been built:

We would not have a wonderful city we know and love now.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:21 AM

16,721 posts, read 29,587,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

Yes, this is too much. It would've destroyed Atlanta.

This is all Metro Atlanta needs...

*1. An Outer Perimeter that is further out than originally planned. It would "ring around" the exurbs. It would also serve as a connector/pathway for secondary areas of Georgia.

*2. An extension of 1-675 northward for:
A. A Spur to I-20
B. A Spur to Lakewood Freeway

3. An Atlanta-to-Rome-to-Huntsville-to Memphis interstate. It would come through Metro Atlanta from the northwest through Paulding County, southwest Cobb County, and far eastern Douglas County--it would follow 278/Thornton Road and connect with an extended Lakewood Freeway* in the Sandtown/Wolf Creek area*. We would then have a new interstate highway that starts in Stockbridge and goes all the way to Memphis (see #2 above)

4. Make 316 a limited access highway all the way to Athen just like GA 400. Rename it "GA 300."

*5. South Fulton Parkway becomes a limited access highway just like GA 400, stretching from the Airport/Hwy 14 all the way to Carrollton. Rename it "GA 100."

*6. A limited access highway just like GA 400, stretching from near where 41/Upper Riverdale Road meet I-75 all the way to Griffin. Call it "GA 200."

*7. The "Fayette Connector": An interstate spur that starts at Hwy 54 near Piedmont Fayette Hospital and then connects with I-85 near Flat Shoals Road or Red Oak Road.

8. Extend and connect the Ronald Reagan Parkway directly with I-85.

*These would be built with strict land preservation/greenspace preservation protocols. The highways would get built to be as minimally intrusive as possible. Similar to many limited access highways/parkways in affluent parts of the Northeast U.S...and GA 400 through a lot of Buckhead.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
See my idea/post above.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:34 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,286,792 times
If all that had freeway network had been built out from the get go, maybe we could have avoided "freeing the freeways" and overly widening the few limited access highways that we do have, back in the 80's-90's era.

Like, same # of freeway lanes we have now, but just spread them out everywhere. Instead of these 10-20 lane monsters, I wish we had twice as many freeways, and they were all 6-lanes.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:

This would've been horrible for Intown Atlanta. See my much more modified (and still doable) solution above.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:14 PM

651 posts, read 478,326 times
Quote:

We wouldn’t be the poster child for bad traffic. Quality of live would be greatly improved due to less commute times.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 PM

23,509 posts, read 44,182,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
We wouldn’t be the poster child for bad traffic. Quality of live would be greatly improved due to less commute times.
Not for residents of Grant Park, Kirkwood, Edgewood, Reynoldstown, Inman Park, Candler Park, Poncey-Highland, Virginia-Highland, Morningside, Druid Hills and Decatur it wouldn't.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:39 PM

711 posts, read 686,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
I agree with CQ. This would have devastated intown, which at the time those freeways were proposed, cities everywhere were destroying their downtowns and inner neighborhoods. I knew the Freedom Parkway was an aborted attempt to connect to Stone Mountain, but I had no idea GA400 was supposed to go through Druid Hills and continue south all the way to the airport. That would have totally ruined all the eastside neighborhoods.

I travel 285 everyday, and I'm constantly thinking if only we could get these trucks off the road that are just passing through the city to get to Florida, traffic would be so much better and the cracks and potholes wouldn't be so bad. The Outer Perimeter would have been completed by now if they hadn't shot it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta