Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
It sounds like 2 things hurts us:

1. They liked the gulch, but that site isn't shovel ready. I wonder if the Atlantic Station property was undeveloped that would have been enough.

2. Lack of tech talent. I think this is more regional than just the metro. Cities in the NE can pool the talent.
That area is also much more educated in general, than down here.

I believe that Amazon would have really benefited the northern suburbs here more than the city of Atlanta because when you move executives and so forth, they aren't going to be satisfied with the low quality of life Atlanta as a city offers. It would have ended up just like a lot of the other corporate moves to Atlanta, where many people did not want to come down if they made good money at the current HQ. It was the folks who were in the middle that got the benefits from the low cost of living here and moved down.

Seattle offers far more than Atlanta as a place to live, granted sometimes a change is good. DC and NYC have other things to offer. Dallas would also be a tough sell to someone who lives in Seattle.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:09 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machotaco View Post
That area is also much more educated in general, than down here.

I believe that Amazon would have really benefited the northern suburbs here more than the city of Atlanta because when you move executives and so forth, they aren't going to be satisfied with the low quality of life Atlanta as a city offers. It would have ended up just like a lot of the other corporate moves to Atlanta, where many people did not want to come down if they made good money at the current HQ. It was the folks who were in the middle that got the benefits from the low cost of living here and moved down.
Couldn't wait to start trolling right away, eh?

Quote:
Seattle offers far more than Atlanta as a place to live, granted sometimes a change is good. DC and NYC have other things to offer. Dallas would also be a tough sell to someone who lives in Seattle.
Like what?

Old 11-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Homelessness? Cloudy days? Passive-Aggressive people?
Lol

Seriously the only thing I can think of is a wider variety of water-based recreation due to geography.

Still waiting to hear about this supposed low quality of life though. Now we know that APS needs some work but corporate executives are more than likely sending their kids to private schools anyway. I'm not sure what the northern suburbs could provide them that Buckhead can't. And I'm guessing he's completely unaware of the slew of corporate headquarters that have recently moved to the city, with another F500 headquarters on the way.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Like what?
I'm sorry if you think the post was trolling. Seattle offers a much better summer climate and lower crime, richer population, outdoor recreation etc..

I don't think very many people would think Atlanta on par with any west coast city in terms of quality of life. Or any North East city for that matter. If it makes you feel better, many people are not moving to Dallas even though a major Atlanta employer is relocating most employees there. The reason is folks think Atlanta is a better place to live.

And, like I was pointing out, folks in Seattle would not be inclined to move to Atlanta for the exact same reason.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:05 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if you think the post was trolling. Seattle offers a much better summer climate and lower crime, richer population, outdoor recreation etc..

I don't think very many people would think Atlanta on par with any west coast city in terms of quality of life. Or any North East city for that matter. If it makes you feel better, many people are not moving to Dallas even though a major Atlanta employer is relocating most employees there. The reason is folks think Atlanta is a better place to live.

And, like I was pointing out, folks in Seattle would not be inclined to move to Atlanta for the exact same reason.
It's not a "thought" clearly you are

The northeast crime rate in DC and etc is litteally similar to Atlanta, as well as not just winter but in general The Atlanta "climate" is better then the northeast. Atlanta is the southeast not Brazil. Also Atlanta is in the southern piedmont region. The northern half of the metro is litteally consider Appalachia, there's a national recreation area bordering the city, and just to north of metro their national parks. While Seattle beats Atlanta in outdoor recreation the irony is Atlanta is still one of top metro in that area sure as heck beat the northeast, the error of what you stated is just because Seattle beats Atlanta in some areas doesn't make Atlanta to bottom of the list, the irony is Atlanta beat most cities in the county in most of the things you stated. Making all those statement pointless.

Also "richer" population is a generalization. Not the entire metros are going to be working for these companies. If your suggesting Atlanta lacks Affluent areas in or near the city like city is depress, this also would be inaccurate and Silly, With in the city their Buckhead which is litteally of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the county, Also in town Atlanta Midtown, Eastside, West midtown, are going through a infill boom. Atlanta itself ranks as one the most educated cities, and Amazon or not Atlanta is one the fastest growing cities in tech.

Last edited by chiatldal; 11-10-2018 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 02:26 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Ugh, looks like the Cagle/Delta feud really did sour Atlanta's chances. If they were concerned over that, then I can't imagine they'd be happy over Kemp winning with his love of the Religious Liberty Bill, NRA, etc.
Yep. GOP has become the party of clowns. Can't blame Amazon and other companies for not wanting to deal with that drama. There is a reason the economic engines of the country are blue.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:56 PM

163 posts, read 138,747 times
Quote:

Just because Atlanta doesn't (or didn't?) offer you a better quality of life doesn't mean that other folks here have an overall low quality of life.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I fail to see how any of this translates to "far more to do." Seattle may provide more outdoor recreational activities, but they are far from being wholly absent in Atlanta. In terms of other things to do, I'm not seeing some drastic difference between the two.

How is Seattle's climate in spring and autumn?

Quote:

Whether Atlanta is on par with any West Coast or Northeast city in terms of quality of life is debatable (and subjective), but that hardly means that Atlanta has a low quality of life. And there are a lot of reasons people don't want to uproot and move from one city to another, even if the employer is paying for it. For some it may have to do with perceived QOL differences and for others, it may not.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:27 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Like what?
I've lived in both places. The answer is nothing.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:56 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Superstar Effect Wins Again as Amazon Chooses New York, Washington for HQ2/3 | Newgeography.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta