Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I have an idea. Lets force blacks to buy houses in these two areas by holding guns to thier head.

Or the government can create a program that gives blacks special loan terms for homes bought in Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. It would entice more blacks to the area to make it 'more diverse.'

That way the PC liberals who are bothered by majority white areas will finally be satisfied. Never mind the fact that racial percentages shouldnt matter, or that maybe blacks dont want to live in Dunwoody or Sandy Springs, or maybe that blacks cannot afford it, or maybe there just arent enough backs for every area to be 25% black. After all, its racist for an area to be majority white.

I found the dry wit amusing , while seeing some truths in it. Why should an area be a certain percentage of race and so forth? That makes no sense. If you like a place, and can afford to move there, by all means do it. Regardless of who lives there. Your money, your choice.

Why is this topic even a thread? I see no sense in it. A simple statistical data research would have been sufficient imho. No one is forced to stay or move anywhere (talking about people with the funds to do it), so there is little value gained from such topic. To each their own. Move where you want to.

I do have to say that I prefer a diverse area (I dont care about percentage of races, as long as I can see variety, I'm cool), but if it is not, I wont suffocate or kill myself over the matter. Life goes on.

I'm starting to believe people do have time on their hands. They just dont know what to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:48 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Maybe black ppl prefer to live amongst other black ppl.. nothing wrong with that.. maybe they find living in the donnie and marie, lilly white northern burbs not quite their style. Is that so wrong?? Does that make them racist or anti-white?? I don't think so.. I just think sometimes ppl like to be amongst what's familiar.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 17,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
The simplest answer is affordability. Most Whites can't afford to buy in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs. But if modern-day segregation is to be successful, then affordability will have to play a major part. Factor that in, and it's not so simple anymore.

I'm one of those African Americans who rents in Sandy Springs. When we're ready to buy, I hope to be able to buy here also. I won't be scared away. At the same time, I plan to do what you're doing and actually say what's going on instead of pretending like I don't see it. The process of fighting against any kind of segregation today is tough. The local news begins and ends with Black faces and Black crime in the same old neighborhoods. So as long as this continues, folks will feel justified in their presumptions that Blacks=crime--no matter where they live. And they'll feel justified in their self segregation. On the other side, the Black folks who are law abiding and taxpaying, church-going, hard-working citizens have been way too silent about this living arrangement. They don't feel welcome as potential homeowners in the areas you mentioned. While this is self-imposed, it's definitely part of the plan.

I agree with you 100%, jewel: it's ridiculous. The first place me and my family visited was the Dr. King historic site. How ironic it is that so many civil rights victories came out of Atlanta--yet it's still one of the most segregated cities in the country. It's shameful if you ask me.
Hey I totally agree with you. There is STILL a segregation going, a subtle one of course. even when black and whites are working in the same settings, I notice whites only want to serve whites, blacks serve blacks, asian serve asians ,etc. I'm asian and I needed help finding something at a computer store. This girl handed me over to a white guy, and I guess he thought it was more suitable that an Asian customer representative help.
A cop came up to me at a gas station (white of course) and accuesed me of stealing, while I was only just looking at the product deciding if i wanted it or not. Then he asked me if I spoke english. I got so angry that I yelled out DISCRIMINATION and RACIST in that whole store so everyone, workers and customers, alike, hear. It's such a taboo in society that I decided to break the silence.
He also waited outside my borther's car for me to come out to check if I didnt steal anything. It was as if he was EXPECTING it, even after he warned me of not stealing in the gas station. Would he STILL think I'd steal after he warned me in the gas station?
So yeah I agree with you. There is STILL segregation going on. Several of the white people I have come across the metro area are just vicious.Like one time a group of policemen stopped my borther and I pulled us out worngly accused us of smuggling cocaine in someone's backyard (??!?!) put my brother in handcuff and threw him into the backseat, interrogated me (almost forcing me to tell a lie that I DID do something bad when I didn't) put me in handcuffs and had me sit in the middle of a cul-de-sac. One of the scariest moments of my life but it is a good thing that I have God by my side... He saved me that day like most other days

Old 06-27-2009, 11:00 AM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Student Ethnicity Source: GA Dept. of Education, 2007-2008 Ethnicity
Black 46%
White 36%
Hispanic 11%
Asian 4%
Multi-Racial 4%

This is the demographics of North Springs high school in Sandy Springs, GA.

Student Ethnicity Source: GA Dept. of Education, 2007-2008 Ethnicity
White 46%
Black 32%
Hispanic 13%
Asian 6%
Multi-Racial 2%
American Indian <1%

This is the demographics for Dunwoody high school in Dunwoody, GA.

These numbers don't scream segregation to me.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,968 times
Default Honestly They Don't Want Blacks Here

I purchased from out of state. I have lived in a condo community for almost 3 years now. It is predominately white. I recently had an incident with one of the white board members in my community. Most of the people here are older caucasian women. I here them making comments like the community is going to the slums. When I addressed the possible discrimination issue with one of my neighbors, she stated that they were not referring to blacks. They were referring to Brazillians that are renting in our community. I had to inform her that any kind of discrimination is wrong. Plus, if you are not happy with Brazillians living here than odds are you are not happy with blacks either. The caucasians in this are can be very rude and unwelcoming. I speak to people and they will not part their lips to speak back. Honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I would not live here. Thank God, I will be moving soon.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
Do you live in a condo in Dunwoody or Sandy Springs?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 12,631 times
Im black and i moved from new york to atlanta 2 years ago i bought a mansion in dunwoody cause it a nice area and its been a area i liked way before i moved down here from new york but hey it dont matter how much money ya got or dont got it wat you like and where you want to be

Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Title of this thread made me lol....

Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 AM

194 posts, read 618,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
This is my problem, why is Atlanta Georgia still self segragating? Is this 2006? This is where the heart of some of the most historical civil rights events took place. All so we can still be race segragated? Ridiculous.
Respectfully-speaking, you appear to be perpetuating the syndrome you complain about.

You like Dunwoody / Sandy Springs but are considering foregoing it because of the lack of Black representation.

If you like that area and can afford it, move there.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV188 View Post
Im black and i moved from new york to atlanta 2 years ago i bought a mansion in dunwoody cause it a nice area and its been a area i liked way before i moved down here from new york but hey it dont matter how much money ya got or dont got it wat you like and where you want to be
Let me guess, you earned all the money for your "mansion" by teaching english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta