Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,734 times

Advertisements

I've been here in Atlanta my whole life, Sandy Springs and Dunwoody just does not seem attractive to me. I'm not comfortable living there. In my girlfriends class at Ga. State, they did a study and it shows that Blacks don't feel welcome in Roswell or Alpharetta. It's probably the same with those two cities. There are a lot of blacks around the city that could afford to live there, I guess we just don't feel too much welcomed in the area. There are plenty of people that live in South Dekalb, South Fulton, Fayette, and Atlanta that can afford to live there, but I guess it's just not our cup of tea. I don't see Fayette County on here. I've lived in North Fayette area for years right around Holyfield's house. VERY low crime, best schools in the state, house values were great for the longest until the current market crash and foreclosures hit the fan. It's a large black wealthy side of town, you don't hear to much about it, because it's Fayette County and I'm sure that's how they like to keep it there. It's been that way since the late 80's. But

Last edited by Dreman1731; 02-22-2009 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreman1731 View Post
I've been here in Atlanta my whole life, Sandy Springs and Dunwoody just does not seem attractive to me. I'm not comfortable living there. In my girlfriends class at Ga. State, they did a study and it shows that Blacks don't feel welcome in Roswell or Alpharetta. It's probably the same with those two cities. There are a lot of blacks around the city that could afford to live there, I guess we just don't feel too much welcomed in the area. There are plenty of people that live in South Dekalb, South Fulton, Fayette, and Atlanta that can afford to live there, but I guess it's just not our cup of tea. I don't see Fayette County on here. I've lived in North Fayette area for years right around Holyfield's house. VERY low crime, best schools in the state, house values were great for the longest until the current market crash and foreclosures hit the fan. It's a large black wealthy side of town, you don't hear to much about it, because it's Fayette County and I'm sure that's how they like to keep it there. It's been that way since the late 80's. But
I'm not comfortable living in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/etc. either...and I'm white. It's not my kind of area. But do you really think that the residents there make minorities feel unwelcome? I know and have known lots of people who live in North Fulton County, both black and white, and that doesn't describe any of them. I'm thinking the majority of people there don't really care about color.

Roswell is 11% hispanic, 9% black....Sandy Springs is 12% black, 10% hispanic. So it isn't exactly true that there are no people of color in those two cities.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM

722 posts, read 3,317,166 times
uh, hello... She'ree from real Houswives lives up there lol. But in all seriousness, I have lots of family in that area and I have not seen many african-americans. I feel like wealthy blacks are more comfortable on the south side of town where the population is more mixed.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Why does it matter? Should black people be forced to live there just because there are not many living there now? Why is it even an issue?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM

129 posts, read 389,979 times
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
People moving into Grant Park has nothing to do with race or comingling. I am Black and I would never consider moving into a community to gentrify it. This is because I don't want to live in a crime ridden community no matter how much the purchase of my home might translate into a lucrative investment. Most Black people are not buying those new homes in the city. Whites are. This is because Whites want to live in the city now and Blacks, of ALL classes, want to get the hell out.

I think Whites are so willing to move to areas like Grant Park, Mechanicsville, and Kirkwood because they are cheap areas in good proximity to downtown and will eventually bring back a good return. Poor Blacks live in these areas but these yuppies would move into these communitites to buy cheap real estate regardless of what race lived in the area.

I understand your point. Regardless of how you grew up or your race, most folks would not want to deal with the grind. Personally, I believe the mixing of socio-economic groups can be good for all involved, but ,obviously,it doesn't always work.

That said, does it not strike you odd, that African-Americans, in general, don't do the revitalization "thing"? In recent years, you see this trend taking place more often in NYC and Chicago ( areas with cultural significance like Harlem, Clinton Hill, Bed-Stuy North Kenwood-Oakland etc.),but you do not see nearly as much of this in Atlanta.
Collier Heights or Cascade Heights

As for self-segregation...diverse neighborhoods are best, but they may not be for everyone. The key is not EXCLUDE anyone who can afford to live where they choose.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM

207 posts, read 940,542 times
Some people want to live in rural areas, some in gated communities, some in urban settings, some in ethnic neighborhoods, some in old neighborhoods, some in new. People will live where they feel comfortable, it is a personal preference. Why does it have to be racial?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,626 times
Because they are free not to? Same reason i didnt buy there perhaps.. didnt want to pay inflated taxes and only get an address in return.

Gee weird topics lately.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
Some people want to live in rural areas, some in gated communities, some in urban settings, some in ethnic neighborhoods, some in old neighborhoods, some in new. People will live where they feel comfortable, it is a personal preference. Why does it have to be racial?

In atlanta, unless an area is 90% black, its racist. Didnt you know this?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
Thankfully, in some areas of the metro it isn't, or isn't as much, anyway. But I'm sure many of the traditionally black and white areas would probably stay that way for some time ... even if some people didn't have a preference ... through simple inertia if nothing else.

I didn't even think of the racial mix in our neighborhood until we started meeting our new neighbors. I thought it was cool to be somewhere where we all were white northern transplants.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
I wouldnt wanna spend all my money living out there i would rather live in Fayette because its cheaper for me the buy a house out there than in sandy springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta