Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Iconographer, I'm just defending myself from all these folks who seem to think I have recommended that we "codify" or legally ban alcohol on Sundays. (See, e.g., fourthwarden's post that I am responding to). I haven't said any such thing.

What I said was that it's legal, but still sort of sad that folks can't hold off on their first drink of liquor until noon.
My mother and her fellow Bridge Club members met twice a month. They had a routine they adhered to during those times that they never veered from in 52 years.

Coffee and rolls at 10:30
Bloody Marys or Wine at 11; Bridge commences
Lunch at 12:30
"Refreshers" at 2:30
Departure at 3:30

To my knowledge, those were the only times I knew her to have a drink before 6 PM. I never considered it sad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:57 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times
Quote:
What I said was that it's legal, but still sort of sad that folks can't hold off on their first drink of liquor until noon.
Then don't drink. Simple as that. Live and let live, right?

What the rest of us are saying is, don't pass judgement out of some sanctimonious notion of "self-control".

As I said earlier in this thread, you didn't like it when others judged your suburban lifestyle in other C-D threads. So, why do you get to judge others?

Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Then don't drink. Simple as that. Live and let live, right?

What the rest of us are saying is, don't pass judgement out of some sanctimonious notion of "self-control".

As I said earlier in this thread, you didn't like it when others judged your suburban lifestyle in other C-D threads. So, why do you get to judge others?
Folks can drink all they want but they can't demand that everyone else pat them on the back.

As for my suburban lifestyle, I have never objected to anyone criticizing it. It doesn't seem all that suburban to me but why should I care what people say about it?

Old 03-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My mother and her fellow Bridge Club members met twice a month. They had a routine they adhered to during those times that they never veered from in 52 years.

Coffee and rolls at 10:30
Bloody Marys or Wine at 11; Bridge commences
Lunch at 12:30
"Refreshers" at 2:30
Departure at 3:30

To my knowledge, those were the only times I knew her to have a drink before 6 PM. I never considered it sad at all.
Sounds like a lovely group of ladies, Iconographer.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if they demanded that the bars open up by noon on Sunday because they needed a drink.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:25 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times
Quote:
Folks can drink all they want but they can't demand that everyone else pat them on the back.
Literally nobody is making that demand.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:29 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,841 times
I think it's more a problem for people who do attend church. Is it the fear that church attendees will go off and get drunk and forget to go to church? A great deal of people don't attend church because they are not Christians or it just don't like organized religion. Perhaps there should be a special law that anyone who identifies as Christian can't buy alcohol before 1230. That way Christians can respect their own traditions.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 AM

198 posts, read 148,988 times
Did those same Christians that don't want people drinking on Sunday morning have sex before marriage?

Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
Did those same Christians that don't want people drinking on Sunday morning have sex before marriage?
Absolutely not!!!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Literally nobody is making that demand.
Sounds to me like that's exactly what folks are saying. "Don't just tell me you are okay with going to the bar on Sunday morning being legal. You've also got to tell me you have no personal criticism of it whatsoever!"

P.S. My view on slamming back cocktails in the morning is not based on Christianity. It's legal and folks can do so if they please, but they can't expect the rest of the world to say, "Hey, that's great, man!"

Old 03-15-2018, 10:44 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
P.S. My view on slamming back cocktails in the morning is not based on Christianity. It's legal and folks can do so if they please, but they can't expect the rest of the world to say, "Hey, that's great, man!"
Wholeheartedly agree with you. We've all done it on occasion, but I don't feel as if I am deprived of a constitutional right if I can't order a Bloody Mary at 11:00 am on a Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta