Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 04:08 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times

Advertisements

Just saw on the news that this year the City of Atlanta property assessments are going up 35% - 50% year-over-year. Yikes! Some of you guys better start saving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:47 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Just saw on the news that this year the City of Atlanta property assessments are going up 35% - 50% year-over-year. Yikes! Some of you guys better start saving!
CoA doesn't do property assessments, the counties do. Do they mean Fulton or DeKalb?

Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
CoA doesn't do property assessments, the counties do. Do they mean Fulton or DeKalb?
I'm sorry - you are correct. FulCo.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:53 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Now I'm not calling the areas south of Atlanta or anywhere else as Undesirable, but if you think about it, Newnan is no further than Lawrenceville is to Atlanta...but I-85 in that direction is very rural all the way from there to Union City where as on the opposite end its a 18 lane super highway with development all the way up to Buford.
Where is 85 18 lanes (not including merge lanes from other interstate connections)?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:55 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Where is 85 18 lanes (not including merge lanes from other interstate connections)?
I was giving an approximate based on ALL the lanes totaled (for both directions)

Between I-285 and Jimmy Carter it is 14 Lanes
Between Jimmy Carter and Indian Trail it is 15 Lanes
Between Indian Trail and Beaver Ruin it is 14 Lanes
Between Beaver Ruin and Steve Reynolds it is 14 Lanes
Between Pleasant Hill and SR-120 (Exit Ramp) it is 15 lanes not including the feeder roads, which would make it 18 if they were included.
Between SR-120 (Exit Ramp) and GA-316 it is 14 lanes not including the feeder roads, which would make it 20 if they were included.
Between GA-316 and SR-120 (Overpass) it is 12 lanes not including the feeder roads, which should be included at this point given they never truly exit the highway but only provide access to local exits. Including them brings it up to 20 again.
It drops to 16 total after the Sugarloaf Pkwy overpass.
It maintains this configurations up till Lawrenceville Suwanee Rd.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:57 PM

332 posts, read 344,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
He's probably including those lanes, but it sure feels super wide at the 85/316 split both ways.

This is a great thread full of informative info, ya'll. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm sorry - you are correct. FulCo.
Makes sense. Fulton has been underassesing for a long time. Time to catch up.

Maybe some of that property tax money can go towards increasing police retention...

Old 04-26-2018, 10:11 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
---

Now I'm not calling the areas south of Atlanta or anywhere else as Undesirable, but if you think about it, Newnan is no further than Lawrenceville is to Atlanta...but I-85 in that direction is very rural all the way from there to Union City where as on the opposite end its a 18 lane super highway with development all the way up to Buford.
It's funny you mention this. All I hear is complaints from people about Newnan being so far out, yet those same people don't consider Lawrenceville or Cumming far out (because there's contiguous development between Atlanta and those cities).

Part of the reason Coweta County has been so slow to take off is because, for a long time, the County was very hostile to growth. I think back in the 1980s, they voted against building a sewer system that would have allowed for Gwinnett-type growth. Even today, while Coweta hasn't seen a development it doesn't like, it also doesn't actively go out and beg for investment either (via a ton of incentives or bending over backwards). Only in the last few months did Newnan start discussion about creating a business director-type position to do just that. That said, Coweta always been a sleeper. Increasingly more and more people are starting to seriously discover and consider Coweta to reside and invest in (thanks, in large part, to the significant lack of traffic compared to other parts of Atlanta, the significantly underutilized I-85 infrastructure, the still very cheap land, the significantly undervalued housing and its proximity to the airport, and plus, city / county leaders who are now trying to cash in on the real estate they own throughout the county), so I definitely think it's on the verge of really taking off like Henry and Forsyth Counties, especially with the 2 new I-85 interchanges coming on line soon.

Actually, I drove out of town today and happen to leave this morning. Unfortunately (I'll get to why shortly), I was headed northward. From the Bullsboro exit in Newnan at 8:30am to the Hartsfield-Jackson exit, it was a 15 minute drive exactly with no traffic congestion what so ever (in fact, I used Cruise Control until Fairburn). Beyond that point, it was still smooth sailing until I-20.

Then, from I-20 on the perimeter to I-75, I suddenly ran to gridlock traffic moving at a snails pace. It took 45 minutes to get through that mess (an additional 30 minutes longer to travel a much shorter distance than Newnan to the Airport)

So yeah, folks on the north side can have that crap. I'm perfectly satisfied with "way out there" Newnan and Coweta County if it means keeping my sanity, especially if I can get to places in Atlanta proper or the north side just as fast or even faster than folks who are closer in.

Last edited by citidata18; 04-26-2018 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 10:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's funny you mention this. All I hear is complaints from people about Newnan being so far out, yet those same people don't consider Lawrenceville or Cumming far out (because there's contiguous development between Atlanta and those cities).

Part of the reason Coweta County has been so slow to take off is because, for a long time, the County was very hostile to growth. I think back in the 1980s, they voted against building a sewer system that would have allowed for Gwinnett-type growth. Even today, while Coweta hasn't seen a development it doesn't like, it also doesn't actively go out and beg for investment either (via a ton of incentives or bending over backwards). Only in the last few months did Newnan start discussion about creating a business director-type position to do just that. That said, Coweta always been a sleeper. Increasingly more and more people are starting to seriously discover and consider Coweta to reside and invest in (thanks, in large part, to the significant lack of traffic compared to other parts of Atlanta, the significantly underutilized I-85 infrastructure, the still very cheap land, the significantly undervalued housing and its proximity to the airport, and plus, city / county leaders who are now trying to cash in on the real estate they own throughout the county), so I definitely think it's on the verge of really taking off like Henry and Forsyth Counties, especially with the 2 new I-85 interchanges coming on line soon.

Actually, I drove out of town today and happen to leave this morning. Unfortunately (I'll get to why shortly), I was headed northward. From the Bullsboro exit in Newnan at 8:30am to the Hartsfield-Jackson exit, it was a 15 minute drive exactly with no traffic congestion what so ever (in fact, I used Cruise Control until Fairburn). Beyond that point, it was still smooth sailing until I-20.

Then, from I-20 on the perimeter to I-75, I suddenly ran to gridlock traffic moving at a snails pace. It took 45 minutes to get through that mess (an additional 30 minutes longer to travel a much shorter distance than Newnan to the Airport)

So yeah, folks on the north side can have that crap. I'm perfectly satisfied with "way out there" Newnan and Coweta County if it means keeping my sanity, especially if I can get to places in Atlanta proper or the north side just as fast or even faster than folks who are closer in.
Excellent post, citidata18! I just hope too-fast growth doesn't ruin a great place.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That section is always busy going northbound in the morning from all the people heading to Cumberland and Perimeter.

But...the perimeter between Cobb Drive and I-75 is under pretty heavy construction (and has been for eleventy-billion years), and that slows it down significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta