Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:10 PM

234 posts, read 144,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Girl bye! I just don’t see homeowners and powerful Atlantans letting it go through some of the prices and best neighborhoods in metro Atlanta. Will the line extend from Art Center above ground or underground.
Cobb can connect to Lindbergh by the same railway that goes down towards Arts Center.

If im MARTA or Atlanta, I look for ways to connect with the existing system and expand intown stations (“Uptown”, Atlantic Station, “West Midtown”). Yes the green line already extends westward. Unfortunately it is outside walakable distance to many rapidly densifying neighborhoods and boasts some of the lowest riderships per station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 PM

23,489 posts, read 44,146,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Incorrect, that is just the type of lies that Bottoms campaign was spreading.
Actually, I was referring to certain comments on a previous thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Did you even bother to read those links? They are all basically NIMBY / anti-development including this gem direct from her policy page you linked to:

"[Mary Norwood will] Prohibit large-scale development in at-risk neighborhoods."

Really? You think cutting off the new housing supply in "at-risk neighborhoods" is the solution?

And of course she also was a backer of keeping bike lanes off Peachtree in Buckhead.

I have talked to her in person at a couple different public meetings. Not impressed. She is not offering any new solutions that Mayoral candidates weren't talking about in the 70s. You don't deserve to be mayor just because you have waiting in line the longest.

And if you notice, her transportation page notable leaves out transit on the Beltline as something she supports. If she is elected expect to see good minds in our city like Ryan Gravel and Tim Keane pushed out.

Atlanta mayoral race: Poll shows Mary Norwood with early lead

Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Cobb can connect to Lindbergh by the same railway that goes down towards Arts Center.

If im MARTA or Atlanta, I look for ways to connect with the existing system and expand intown stations (“Uptown”, Atlantic Station, “West Midtown”). Yes the green line already extends westward. Unfortunately it is outside walakable distance to many rapidly densifying neighborhoods and boasts some of the lowest riderships per station.
I don't get the idea of connecting the NW line to Lindbergh when there is already a NW tunnel constructed just north of Arts Center station. Why not utilize that? Seems like it would involve a lot less condemnation of valuable property.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't get the idea of connecting the NW line to Lindbergh when there is already a NW tunnel constructed just north of Arts Center station. Why not utilize that? Seems like it would involve a lot less condemnation of valuable property.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the northwest tunnel doesn’t even cross the connector. Chances are there are going to be some heavy costs no matter what and it’s best not to pigeon hole ourselves to one idea. Best to keep an open mind to what’s best (in addition to cost effective). I’ve ran a few analysis and while I have my preferences, am stil not convinced what would be best for additional HRT (and particularly NW) line(s)

Old 11-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the northwest tunnel doesn’t even cross the connector. Chances are there are going to be some heavy costs no matter what and it’s best not to pigeon hole ourselves to one idea. Best to keep an open mind to what’s best (in addition to cost effective). I’ve ran a few analysis and while I have my preferences, am stil not convinced what would be best for additional HRT (and particularly NW) line(s)
That's right, it doesn't. The tunnel stops short of where the portal would open; it's intent as I understand it was to bridge the connector over to Atlantic Station and proceed towards Cobb from there.

The last of the unbuilt lines is the Northwest line. The provision for this line is between Arts Center and Lindbergh Center. It lies in the subway tunnel north of Arts Center. This entire provision is underground with no clue above ground that is there. The tunnels diverge to the outsides of the mainline tunnels and slope upwards before coming to an end, short of where the tunnel portal would be built. The trackways in the two tunnels are similar to the trackways at the Tucker-North DeKalb provision.

Best View from train: On a northbound train, facing through the front window, you can clearly see the turnout on the right side of the train. The halogen tunnel lights are on the right side of the tunnel, so they veer off along with the tunnel, giving an excellent view of the trackway. On the southbound train, facing through the back window of the train, you the see the turnout on your left. The tunnel looks the same as the northbound one.

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/MARTA...Northwest_Line

How would you route the line out of Lindbergh to Cobb?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:09 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times
You know what they could do, that would be a lot better and would be a whole lot less expensive and a whole lot faster to build, is build a new infill MARTA station at Glenridge Connector right around here (along with new towers and TOD stuff):

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9029.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then after Johnson Ferry where it goes into the tunnel under the interchange, split the line with a new, little bit deeper tunnel that curves out to the NW to I-285 (all of this completely within/underneath the GDOT-owned ROW area):

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9091.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then it can run in a much cheaper and easier cut-and-cover tunnel (instead of needing to deep bore), just ITP along the south edge of the GDOT ROW, out to a new station at Roswell Rd around here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9109.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then a Powers Ferry station somewhere around here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9052.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then finally a Cumberland MARTA station at the Galleria right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8859.../data=!3m1!1e3

Which would connect nicely to the Battery/SunTrust Park via the pedestrian bridge, and also connect to Cumberland Mall via the other pedestrian bridge. Would make all of the Galleria development and those towers all a big TOD, and would be in walking distance to Cobb Energy Center, and Akers Mill Square.

For commuter park&ride, maybe just allow MARTA parking with validation or with a special MARTA parking pass or something, at all of those places (Mall, Battery, Galleria- all have tons of parking spots).

Besides all the cost savings and construction savings (and a good bit shorter route than I-75 to Midtown is), it would allow for a single seat ride from Cumberland to Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown, and the Airport.

(The only reason for the Glenridge infill is just that so you can transfer there from the new line to access the Perimeter Center area stations, instead of having to go all the way down to Buckhead just to transfer to the Red Line.)

Or, heck, instead of the Glenridge infill, have the new line be 2 new color lines, and the other one would run to Medical Center and then a new station at the Ravinia towers/Perimeter Center East area, then a Chamblee Dunwoody station, then have a new platform at Doraville station with the Assembly development, along Motors Industrial here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9056.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then it curves and runs to the new Norcross station, which may eventually end up at Gwinnett Place. So then you could have a Gwinnett to the Braves game MARTA line, and to Perimeter Center and Cumberland jobs, in addition to Gold Line.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:12 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,949,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
It should hit I-75 either at West Paces or Moores Mill. Probably the ideal route from a ridership standpoint would be west from Lindberg parallel to Wesley, then up Peachtree to West Paces Ferry and then west over to I-75. Then up I-75 to Cumberland Mall.
I’m assuming you mean ALL UNDERGROUND ... a true “subway” line?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
You don't need to condemn property if you are tunneling under city streets.

Arts Center doesn't connect Cobb County to Buckhead except in a way that is characteristic of Atlanta's street plan. You have to go all the way in to town and then back out.

Also, most of Buckhead is not served by MARTA. It runs to the far eastern edge. Basically everything west of Piedmont is not served. And along Peachtree are some of the densest employment and residential areas.

Lindberg is a much more logical hub in today's Atlanta than Arts Center. And its a logical counterpart to 5 points.

This line would connect Buckhead, Midtown and downtown to Cobb County. And it would make taking MARTA to Perimeter Center, the largest collection of office space in the area, perhaps a rational alternative. Going all the way to town and then going out to Perimeter Center from Cobb County is not a reasonable commute.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
That's right, it doesn't. The tunnel stops short of where the portal would open; it's intent as I understand it was to bridge the connector over to Atlantic Station and proceed towards Cobb from there.
Could you or anyone else drop (rough) GPS locations of what was planned from one side of the connector to the other?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:38 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times
Quote:
Could you or anyone else drop (rough) GPS locations of what was planned from one side of the connector to the other?
I believe the original NW line official MARTA plan (which a stub tunnel provision was even built for, and never used), was that it would emerge right here above where the NE line emerges (after the tracks split off):

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8001.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then it would have ran elevated over the Buford Spring and over I-85, then into a tunnel at Brookwood Hills, then the next station (called Brookwood), I think was supposed to be at Peachtree at 26th St underground, I guess the station would have replaced the Mellow Mushroom:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8021.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then, still in a tunnel, it would have ran to a Northside Drive station I think somewhere around Holmes St:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7992.../data=!3m1!1e3

Which would have then continued out along Chattahoochee Ave and then Atlanta Rd out to Marietta. Keep in mind, it was planned before the Cumberland area was a thing (the Atlanta Rd was more the main corridor), and it was well before Atlantic Station. That was a steel mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta