Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
How would you route the line out of Lindbergh to Cobb?
Probably the best way to accomplish that (besides the I-285 route I mentioned above), would be to have the NW line run southbound from Lindbergh, using existing platforms and tracks (which would be a little strange, but signage would explain it for riders). No construction required at Lindbergh.

Then right around here somewhere:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8024.../data=!3m1!1e3

You'd split it out there, and run it in GDOT ROW along I-85 for a sec and then I-75 all the way, I guess. Or along the Norfolk Southern corridor and then the Tilford Yard corridor and then out that way, maybe.

Or, split it out here at Peachtree Creek:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8155.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then it would run along the NW Beltline/CSX, then run to Cobb either along I-75, Tilford/CSX, or maybe the Silver Comet.

Those corridors are the options, unless you do a deep-bored tunnel under the residential parts of Buckhead, which would take forever and be very expensive. So I just don't see that happening. Mary Norwood is basically just saying it would be cool to have, I don't think the idea is really going anywhere. But maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 PM

While we're talking tunnels under Buckhead, I think it would be so cool and useful if Northside Pkwy continued in a tunnel eastward from here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8394.../data=!3m1!1e3

And popped out here as Sidney Marcus Blvd at Piedmont Rd, which is also at Lindbergh MARTA station:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8258.../data=!3m1!1e3

Like a tolled tunnel for cars, and with a BRT or LRT line in the middle of it, that would then continue out in the median on Northside Pkwy/Cobb Pkwy.

Then, combined with a new East Paces Ferry exit on 400 (which is planned by Buckhead planners), via Sidney Marcus that would allow an easy new access to the Lenox Mall area from Cobb. Also Buford Highway, and a new way to get to I-85.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:25 PM

Or, less ambitious/expensive but maybe even more useful version, have the tunnel pop out due east, at Pharr Rd @ Peachtree, then you'd access Lenox via Peachtree, and maybe a Cobb BRT could run to Buckhead and Brookhaven stations.

That would relieve poor West Paces Ferry, which desperately needs some kind of relief. (Or widening, which ain't likely.)

Old 11-16-2018, 06:42 AM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I’m assuming you mean ALL UNDERGROUND ... a true “subway” line?
Up until you reached I-75.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:28 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,536,606 times
If we're going to the expense of tunneling, a far better service to both Atlanta and Cobb would be to tunnel down along Northside Dr. and have a commuter rail transfer station somewhere near 10th st. Something like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DL...Hr&usp=sharing
Yes, I also have a Cobb HRT line on there for grins and giggles. But from a budgetary perspective, ignore the Cobb HRT line for now and run CRT out to Acworth or Cartersville.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 AM

23,478 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
If we're going to the expense of tunneling, a far better service to both Atlanta and Cobb would be to tunnel down along Northside Dr. and have a commuter rail transfer station somewhere near 10th st. Something like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DL...Hr&usp=sharing
Yes, I also have a Cobb HRT line on there for grins and giggles. But from a budgetary perspective, ignore the Cobb HRT line for now and run CRT out to Acworth or Cartersville.
Looks good to me. And why not HRT in Cobb? Bite the bullet and make it an effective transportation line.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,536,606 times
Because for now CRT IS effective for Cobb. I'm also showing this in terms of limited budgets. If we build the HRT to Cumberland, we may not be able to build the CRT to Kennesaw/Acworth/Cartersville.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:46 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times
I will have to give Norwood credit for thinking outside the box.

The tunnel idea seems pretty doable to me. The COA just dug a 5 mile tunnel 12 feet in diameter for $300 million in connection with the Reservoir Park project. Not long ago Cobb dug an even bigger tunnel (6 miles and 27 feet in diameter) for about the same price.

So the costs should be manageable.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:41 AM

23,478 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Because for now CRT IS effective for Cobb. I'm also showing this in terms of limited budgets. If we build the HRT to Cumberland, we may not be able to build the CRT to Kennesaw/Acworth/Cartersville.
I do see your point...there is rather an "either-or" situation here.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:03 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,885,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Actually, I was referring to certain comments on a previous thread.

Atlanta mayoral race: Poll shows Mary Norwood with early lead

That bolded statement I quoted was directly from Norwood's policy page.

I am still not a fan of her NIMBYism approach to many things, but she did seem to come around in the campaign and take a more moderate stance. And if you remember, I ended up voting for her in the runoff.

As for this idea, we will still need a lot of details. If it is an all underground line 100% funded by private partnerships and maybe something like congestion charges on Buckhead streets, then sounds great! But I do not think that is likely to be the case.

I will be interested to see the details of this route and how it will get funded. Until then I remain hopeful that it can happen but skeptical that it can be built and funded with minimal disruption and controversy considering there has been basically no serious study into a route like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta