Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 07:19 PM

390 posts, read 307,218 times

Advertisements

I am afraid that the housing prices are declining now. Homes on Zillow have been knocking $5K - $14K off of the asking price. A couple of homes in my subdivision (just north of the 285) of the same model as mine are selling for less than I bought mine.

Anyone else notice this?

Old 08-24-2019, 07:49 PM

184 posts, read 205,503 times
I think so, which is great if you have not bought yet

Old 08-24-2019, 08:37 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
I am afraid that the housing prices are declining now. Homes on Zillow have been knocking $5K - $14K off of the asking price. A couple of homes in my subdivision (just north of the 285) of the same model as mine are selling for less than I bought mine.

Anyone else notice this?
Homes in my area have risen sharply in the past 18 months. Even just over the past six months, we've gone from several houses available in the $400-$450k range to zero. Just a couple of years ago, they were in the mid to upper $300s.

I believe our neighborhood in particular is undervalued, so hopefully, we can hold on a little bit while everything around us goes down, and then I can sell our place and buy a bigger place.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:38 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
My feeling that non-new stuff both Intown and suburbs have leveled off, or gone down a little. I think new stuff Intown is still demanding a premium (but, it’s not like I am house hunting or anything, so my guess is not based off a lot of data or anything). School being back in session is probably going to suck away some of the demand—so I expect for folks who really want/need to sell to start taking reductions.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:42 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
On this side of town (Newnan), I'm seeing 2006 - 2007 signs. Construction in the uncompleted subdivisions that have just broken ground is grinding to a halt, while proposed projects are either being reduced in scope or cancelled altogether.

Part of it is the fact that we have to complete with the much faster growing northern suburbs for labor, and also that the cost to build these homes has exceeded what the local population can afford (given the lack of high-paying jobs).

With that being said, there's recently been an explosion of large multi-family projects (namely apartments) either proposed or under construction. These are getting a ton of NIMBY push back though on a number of fronts (residents have an irrational fear of "transients," they want to maintain a "rural feel" and not become "Atlanta" or "Clayton County," etc.). There's also been an explosion of projects specifically targeted towards seniors who are either retired but relatively wealthy or need assistance.

Last edited by citidata18; 08-25-2019 at 01:55 AM..

Old 08-25-2019, 07:31 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I think there are clear signs that the downward part of the cycle is either underway or coming soon. That'll feed on itself and make it a fait accomplis if it isn't the case already.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:47 AM

104 posts, read 61,491 times
I think things will slow a bit in-town just due to how enormous the growth has been over the past decade. You won't be doubling your house value every 3 years anymore. That said, I don't see any market forces indicating a crash. I think supply may be rising as high density units continue to become available with every passing month in new construction in Southeast Atlanta. Lots of stuff finishing construction or about to get underway as soon as you get to Memorial Drive and continue going south along Bill Kennedy.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:53 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,364 times
There haven’t been as many major headquarter relocations recently in Atlanta or its northern suburbs as there were in the past. I was just playing around on Zillow the other day and noticed that there are houses of various prices and locations that have been listed with discounts.

Our house sold in May at about 4% more than what we paid a year prior. Its Zestimate appears to be about the same as when it sold.

This is also anecdotal evidence, but has anyone noticed fewer "moving to Atlanta. Where should I live" posts? There seem to be fewer even in the last months than there had been a year or two ago.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
On this side of town (Newnan), I'm seeing 2006 - 2007 signs. Construction in the uncompleted subdivisions that have just broken ground is grinding to a halt, while proposed projects are either being reduced in scope or cancelled altogether.

Part of it is the fact that we have to complete with the much faster growing northern suburbs for labor, and also that the cost to build these homes has exceeded what the local population can afford (given the lack of high-paying jobs).

With that being said, there's recently been an explosion of large multi-family projects (namely apartments) either proposed or under construction. These are getting a ton of NIMBY push back though on a number of fronts (residents have an irrational fear of "transients," they want to maintain a "rural feel" and not become "Atlanta" or "Clayton County," etc.). There's also been an explosion of projects specifically targeted towards seniors who are either retired but relatively wealthy or need assistance.

2006-2007 was part of a massive US recession caused by subprime lending and other global forces. Localized price increases like have occured in Atlanta don't lead to 2007 level crashes. Those are rare events.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:17 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
2006-2007 was part of a massive US recession caused by subprime lending and other global forces. Localized price increases like have occured in Atlanta don't lead to 2007 level crashes. Those are rare events.

My point wasn't that a repeat of the subprime mortgage crisis is taking place, rather the slowdown right now in real estate construction feels similar to what occurred in the run up to the Great Recession (albeit for different reasons).

The fact that lending standards are fundamentally different today doesn't change my real-time observations caused by the headwinds detailed in my post.

And to be clear, what I described is only what I see in my part of Metro Atlanta. It could very well be different in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta