Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times

Advertisements

Wow! Thanks for the Flickr research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 AM

3 posts, read 8,275 times
I am Robert Green´s son. I have all of my father´s original drawings that he did for his Atlanta houses.

Contact me at matchooman@yahoo.com if you are interested in talking.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
There are zillions of terrific mid-century homes all over the city, in just about every price range. If price is not your concern, I'd look at the Northside. Though Atlanta was not officially part of the Case Study program, these forms had enormous influence on Atlanta architects and many spectacular homes on wonderful lots were commissioned throughout Buckhead during the 1950s and 60s. A number of them were owned by well known architects themselves, such as Tony Aeck, Henri Jova, John Portman, Joe Amisano and many of the other leading lights.

A friend of ours owned this place and in my mind it is just lovely:

Harry Norman, Realtors® | Your Best Move in Georgia, North Carolina and International

We looked hard at this house one time, but it needed more work than we were willing to put in:

3707 RANDALL MILL Rd, ATLANTA, GA 30327 | MLS# 2879711

And don't overlook the west side. I've always enjoyed the serene architecture in Audubon Forest. Haven't been over there in several years but I assume it's still quite nice.

Last edited by arjay57; 09-07-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 AM

210 posts, read 454,869 times
Best of luck to the OP, but if he/she has any children moving into one of these homes it's a good move to get a lead removal business out there.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,532 times
This is an old thread, but I want to point anyone looking for midcentury modern homes in the Atlanta area to the Northwoods neighborhood in Doraville - just inside the perimeter. The neighborhood is currently going through the process to be listed on the national register of historic places (one of the few 1950s "California-style" subdivisions with shopping, schools and parks built in to have been built in Georgia). Some of the same developers who created Northcrest also developed Northwoods (which isn't far away from Northcrest, actually). In terms of its accessibility to the rest of Atlanta and the quality of the homes in the neighborhood, Northwoods is really a hidden gem.

If you're looking in mid-2012 for a place, I have one to point you towards... I went to an open house at a home in Northwoods last weekend & was wow'd by the great, nearly mint, condition that it's in. Check it out here. You can find out more about midcentury Doraville on this blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
I love mid-century modern homes. They are my favorite. There are a few neighborhoods around town that I know of that have some excellent examples and I'd love to find more. If any of you out there know of neighborhoods/subdivisions with true mid-century modern homes, I'd love to hear about it.

Here are the subdivisions that I already know of:

Northcrest - mostly mid-century subdivision
Amberwood - all custom homes, approximately half mid-century, a dozen or so by Robert Green
Pine Hills - a sprinkling of mid-century, some very good

Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-in-Doraville View Post
This is an old thread, but I want to point anyone looking for midcentury modern homes in the Atlanta area to the Northwoods neighborhood in Doraville - just inside the perimeter. The neighborhood is currently going through the process to be listed on the national register of historic places (one of the few 1950s "California-style" subdivisions with shopping, schools and parks built in to have been built in Georgia). Some of the same developers who created Northcrest also developed Northwoods (which isn't far away from Northcrest, actually). In terms of its accessibility to the rest of Atlanta and the quality of the homes in the neighborhood, Northwoods is really a hidden gem.

If you're looking in mid-2012 for a place, I have one to point you towards... I went to an open house at a home in Northwoods last weekend & was wow'd by the great, nearly mint, condition that it's in. Check it out here. You can find out more about midcentury Doraville on this blog.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ic-status.html

Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
I love mid-century modern homes. They are my favorite. There are a few neighborhoods around town that I know of that have some excellent examples and I'd love to find more. If any of you out there know of neighborhoods/subdivisions with true mid-century modern homes, I'd love to hear about it.

Here are the subdivisions that I already know of:

Northcrest - mostly mid-century subdivision
Amberwood - all custom homes, approximately half mid-century, a dozen or so by Robert Green
Pine Hills - a sprinkling of mid-century, some very good
Midcentury Modern | Newgeography.com

Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathingjane View Post
Check out Collier Heights, 30318 (N of I20 & inside I285). Funky at the edges, but wonderful Ranches and Split levels. Land was annexed by City of Atlanta in 50's/60's as a place for AfricanAmericans to live under the Jim Crow statutes of the day. Houses range from Tiny (less that 1000 sq ft) to sprawls (3000 +) because the area had to accomodate so many different economic levels of Atlanta black society in the 1950's - 60's.

Docomomo Atlanta has recognized the area, and done driving tours. Area has been submitted for National Historic designation.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...e-qualify.html

Old 05-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Now, when those "70's California Contemporaries" (that all my friends seemed to be buying back in the day) come back into vogue, I guess they'll be a huge surge back into Cobb and Gwinnett counties!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...hate-live.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta