Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,646,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
LOL!!! Spoken like a true flagger! I'm sure the "negroes" or "coloreds" over in Alabama have no problem with your rebel flag.
Yet it is acceptable for people to use terms like "cracker", "redneck", "trailer trash", etc.? Usually the same people throwing these words around are the same people who jump down your throat if you use the terms colored or Negro.

I've read through this thread in its entirety and I'm happy to see there's still a sense of pride in Georgia. People have only started walking over proud Georgians and arguing against the recognition of a proud and legitimate history because of the influx of transplants in the Atlanta metro.

I hope it is a long time before this comes to be an issue in states like Mississippi or Alabama.

Amazing that in this day in age, Americans talk about stopping global killings and apprehending war criminals, when the biggest war criminal of all (Lincoln) is honored in a holiday.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,908,491 times
Since when does a sense of state pride = flying a Confederate flag? The Confederate flag isn't the Georgia state flag nor is it particular to the state of Georgia. Just fly a Georgia state flag if you want to display state pride.

LOL @ "coloreds."

Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Since when does a sense of state pride = flying a Confederate flag? The Confederate flag isn't the Georgia state flag nor is it particular to the state of Georgia. Just fly a Georgia state flag if you want to display state pride.

LOL @ "coloreds."
There is also a sense of regional pride at play though, Akhenaton. It is clear from reading this forum that many have pride in the West Coast, New England, the Mid-Atlantic, etc., so why must this be muted in the South, and its symbols disrespected? Having some sushi joints in Atlanta isn't going to change the fact that Georgia is a dyed-in-the-wool Southern state, and unlike many, I don't see that as a pejorative in the least bit.

This issue will not die so long as men and women are forced to hear disrespectful comments about their glorious history of resisting aggression by people who move down there just to thicken their wallets.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:11 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,844,859 times
Another ancient thread revival...no replies in almost 2 years! Is this topic really important enough to bring back to life?

Old 02-21-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Another ancient thread revival...no replies in almost 2 years! Is this topic really important enough to bring back to life?
Well, after reading through it all, I wanted to offer my 2 cents, even if the original poster probably isn't even around here anymore. But it's still very much a poignant and relevant discussion, regardless of the date. I find it extremely upsetting when people try to demonize the region's culture/history.

And for what? Because a century later some branch of the Klan used the flag in a ceremony or when committing a violent act? People fighting under the Union/American flag waged war on a sovereign nation that wanted peace and independence, ravaged homes, and burned cities; not to mention the sanctioned ethnic cleansing and forced deportation of Amerindians that occured under the stars and stripes. But people who try to dump on the South don't seem to have a problem with flying that flag.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Well, after reading through it all, I wanted to offer my 2 cents, even if the original poster probably isn't even around here anymore. But it's still very much a poignant and relevant discussion, regardless of the date. I find it extremely upsetting when people try to demonize the region's culture/history.

And for what? Because a century later some branch of the Klan used the flag in a ceremony or when committing a violent act? People fighting under the Union/American flag waged war on a sovereign nation that wanted peace and independence, ravaged homes, and burned cities; not to mention the sanctioned ethnic cleansing and forced deportation of Amerindians that occured under the stars and stripes. But people who try to dump on the South don't seem to have a problem with flying that flag.
It's an old tired argument that I frankly think most people are sick of. I see no reason to bring up an old thread on the subject from June 2008. Sorry.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
It's an old tired argument that I frankly think most people are sick of. I see no reason to bring up an old thread on the subject from June 2008. Sorry.
Well again Deacon J, I disagree. There are many topics people are tired of ranging from war to religion, but as long as the big questions remain unanswered and the issues remain unsolved, they are bound to keep surfacing in any public medium worth its salt.

People still discuss Ancient Rome and Classical Greece, and the original issue here goes back a century and a half, so I don't see a thread being from 2008 having anything to do with the original issues discussed.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Well again Deacon J, I disagree. There are many topics people are tired of ranging from war to religion, but as long as the big questions remain unanswered and the issues remain unsolved, they are bound to keep surfacing in any public medium worth its salt.

People still discuss Ancient Rome and Classical Greece, and the original issue here goes back a century and a half, so I don't see a thread being from 2008 having anything to do with the original issues discussed.
Of course topics like this keep resurfacing...because people like you keep bringing them up. I think it's been talked to death and there is nothing to gain by rehashing it - but by all means continue. I'm sure you'll drag someone offended by one side or the other into this 2 year-old thread.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Of course topics like this keep resurfacing...because people like you keep bringing them up. I think it's been talked to death and there is nothing to gain by rehashing it - but by all means continue. I'm sure you'll drag someone offended by one side or the other into this 2 year-old thread.
Yeah, there are certain threads I feel that way about too.

That's when I don't post.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,035,082 times
The confederate flag, on it's BEST day, represents a terrorist group. No other group has such a following for waging war on the united states so they could own themselves some slaves. I doubt any "supporter" of the flag can tell you what the war was based on to begin with. But hey, while we're at it, I'm going to sport a swastika to show my German heritage. The only difference being the swastika existed hundred of years before Nazis, and stood for peace, while the confederate flag's ONLY purpose is to "honor" the south. But I'm sure racists will be happy to come up with more excuses to use it for "southern" (white) pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta