Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times

Advertisements

Aren't we all like that? I started off all conservative (not just politically) with all these ideas of how a "nice girl" should conduct herself.

I'm only 33 but I already have Maxine Syndrome, otherwise known as Mad Cow Disease.

But I like myself so much better now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Aren't we all like that? I started off all conservative (not just politically) with all these ideas of how a "nice girl" should conduct herself.

I'm only 33 but I already have Maxine Syndrome, otherwise known as Mad Cow Disease.

But I like myself so much better now...
P, you must read 'Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady' by Florence King...it will change your life.

LD

Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 PM

41 posts, read 118,363 times
I just want to thank everyone who posted a reply. I am really enjoying the many message I have received. What Cities do any of you suggest? My family is interracial. So,Tell me more about Georgia. Also, I would like to share this with you. My father was born and raised in a city called "Pine Mountain" Georgia. He left there 70 years ago. He did not like Georgia because of racial strife and prejudice. We all know that the world we live in today is different.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM

I'm just trying to be honest with you...an interracial family will have a tough time anywhere in the south except for intown Atlanta or Miami... Pine Mountain? Oh, hell no.
I would like for you to have a great experience moving here, so read my previous posts...I'm trying to be as honest about this as possible.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Pine Mt is in West GA headed toward the Alabama line. Georgia is more progressive than AL but the closer you get to metro Atlanta the more latitude in beliefs, etc.

Emory University, Carter Center and the King Center. That is as good as it gets almost anywhere. (And I know many posters have differing opinions having moved from say the west coast and more established cities--but for the South Atlanta is progressive.)

Some communities/neighborhoods may be more involved than others. My own neighborhood is pleasant enough but people do not try to socialize and there are few young children. So we go to work and do whatever we do and nod at each other in passing. To some that might seem cold or aloof but that's just us. It is a somewhat diverse neighborhood.

I don't know what your price range is or exactly what sort of housing you hope to find but Tucker, GA and the Northlake Mall area is possibly a good fit.

There are a number of 60's/70's ranch style homes with nice lots and the town of Tucker is in the process of renewal. Many Emory employees living in this area.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Thanks for the tip on that book. I love the title alone!

My mother says Novenas that I will (A) return to Catholicism, and (2) learn to be a Real Southern Lady.

I asked her if that was anything like REAL Mayonnaise, like Hellmann's... Would salad dressing do?

Whoa...where am I going with that?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I asked her if that was anything like REAL Mayonnaise, like Hellmann's... Would salad dressing do?
You're touching on what was a longtime debate between my mother and her friends...Duke's vs Hellmann's...what is the ultimate mayonnaise?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You're touching on what was a longtime debate between my mother and her friends...Duke's vs Hellmann's...what is the ultimate mayonnaise?
Miracle Whip.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 PM

41 posts, read 118,363 times
I heard from my OLDER neighbors here in Detroit that there are several nice areas for middle class people in Georgia. But these people left Georgia decades ago. I am sure much have changed since the 1960's. What say you about: East Point, College Park, Macon, or Marietta? I did not get a good response about Pine Mountain. Is it really that bad? What about East Point, College Park, Macon or Marietta? Are they on the "don't move there list"?

Last edited by Tinnie; 05-08-2008 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Brackets

Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnie View Post
I heard from my OLDER neighbors here in Detroit that there are several nice areas for middle class people in Georgia. But these people left Georgia decades ago. I am sure much have changed since the 1960's. What say you about: East Point, College Park, Macon, or Marietta? I did not get a good response about Pine Mountain. Is it really that bad? What about East Point, College Park, Macon or Marietta? Are they on the "don't move there list"?
Oh, yes, much has changed since the 60's.
I was waving you off of Pine Mountain because I think that as a single woman you would be rather bored there.
Since you mentioned 'Atlanta Suburbs' in the title of your thread, I'm assuming that's where you want to be...Macon, I assume you know, is not suburban Atlanta (it's 90 miles away).
My impression is that you are fun loving and active, looking to find a network of other single people. Based on this, I would make a case for living in one of the intown suburbs: Buckhead, Midtown, Virginia-Highland, or as was mentioned by TakeaHike, the area around Emory University. These neighborhoods are the best located if you want good access to the city's cultural scene IMO.
Oh, and since you like to dance and like handsome men, you'll have to check out Johnny's Hideaway in Buckhead...such fun!
Tinnie, if you are open to other GA communities that might be fun for a 45 yo single gal, let us know...I'm full of ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta