Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 10:32 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I would have preferred it to run from Arts Center or Midtown as opposed to extending the Green Line.
Well the Green line is pretty much useless as is. It would make more sense to extend it, although I think the plan was always to go from Arts Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2023, 08:01 AM

276 posts, read 168,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well the Green line is pretty much useless as is. It would make more sense to extend it, although I think the plan was always to go from Arts Center.

The Arts Center spur was only ever meant to be a short one or two stop branch up to around 26th street and then across to Northside Drive.

Quote:
Floridians talk like Georgia is like a third-world country, while everything is perfect in Florida with the smooth roads without potholes and the Brightline train gave them bragging rights. Meanwhile guests from there that stay in our vacation home up in the mountains have a tendency to complain about everything not being "perfect". Not all Floridians of course but quite a bit of them.

I reeeaaaallly don't know if Florida is in a position to look down on anybody these days.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:13 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
The Arts Center spur was only ever meant to be a short one or two stop branch up to around 26th street and then across to Northside Drive.
In the Referendum Plan, yes, however it was also designed to eventually be extended further north to Cobb County if they approved MARTA.

At a minimum, MARTA should've built it (moving the Northside Drive station to Howell Mill) and had it parallel I-75 to Mt. Paran. Even better, they and GDOT should've coordinated to reserve space in the median of the Interstate when I-75 was reconstructed in the mid-80s as part of "Freeing the Freeways." Major missed opportunity.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:38 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Another north-south heavy rail line is needed to connect West Midtown-Atlanti Station-Cumberland.

Heavy rail lines to the following from DT Atlanta.
-Canton
-Gainesville
-Athens
-McDonough
-Newnan

Huge positive impact this would have.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:27 AM

537 posts, read 443,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampalive View Post
The real reason is the average person there and the average person on the city council there never lived in a real city with real public transportation (DC, NYC, Chicago) and used it daily there so they do not know any better.
Quote:
It is Marjorie Taylor Greene's state and a reflection of people who vote for the likes of her. Unfortunately no matter where I move to I'll always be a Georgia boy and I've experienced being laughed at just for being from here, especially in California and Florida. It's like the saying goes, you can take me out of Georgia but unfortunately you can't take the Georgia out of me.
Of all the really large U.S. cities in population, the Atlanta area has perhaps as low cost of living as you'll find. The cost of housing is so much less than other big cities like DC, NYC and Chicago. We're talking half the price or less. Low COL makes Atlanta's standard of living is just so much higher than the rest of the country. So much of the Atlanta housing market is relatively new, and swim/tennis communities are all over the place in the 4,000 square foot range.

Atlanta is a city of 506K residents, but the metropolitan region is 6.1 million people. The City of Atlanta mayor's job is nowhere the job of a county mayor in Cobb County, Fulton County, Gwinnett County or other places with far more residents.

Don't worry about Georgia being MTG's state as she basically represents Rome and the area around that one city. You need to be looking your big cities and an electorate that reelect politicians like Nadler, AOC, Cuomo, Gillibrand, Schumer, DeBlasio, Weiner, Jeffries, Adams and not least Hochul. They're all simply embarrassing.

Old 04-26-2023, 01:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post

Atlanta is a city of 506K residents, but the metropolitan region is 6.1 million people. The City of Atlanta mayor's job is nowhere the job of a county mayor in Cobb County, Fulton County, Gwinnett County or other places with far more residents.
Cobb and Gwinnett's commissioners (not called county mayors) do not have near the power of a city mayor, and they don't usually get involved in the governance of the incorporated areas within their counties (once those are factored in, the populations of the unincorporated areas end up being similar to the CoA).

Old 04-26-2023, 03:03 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Another north-south heavy rail line is needed to connect West Midtown-Atlanti Station-Cumberland.

Heavy rail lines to the following from DT Atlanta.
-Canton
-Gainesville
-Athens
-McDonough
-Newnan

Huge positive impact this would have.
The ROW and rails already exist, but it's not MARTA's problem but rather Norfolk-Southern doing everything in their power as far as they can to limit passenger traffic on their rails. They would probably not allow it at all if it weren't for AMTRAK.

Overall, this is the same problem everywhere when it comes to regional rail services and not just an Atlanta/MARTA problem. Unless your city already had tons of commuter rail services prior to the 1960s that remained like NYC, Chicago, Boston, or Philadelphia you can forget about it. Yeah, yeah, other cities have built commuter lines but usually it's just one and a bus could do the same job.

If we ever wish to change this situation the Feds would have to force the freight rail companies to do something. That's not likely to happen, especially when so many of our politicians would rather be concerned with someone in dressing in drag.

Edit: Technically one of those places you can go to by train today and it only costs $36 for a round trip ticket. AMTRAKs Crescent train stops in Gainesville twice a day.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:23 PM

712 posts, read 681,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The ROW and rails already exist, but it's not MARTA's problem but rather Norfolk-Southern doing everything in their power as far as they can to limit passenger traffic on their rails. They would probably not allow it at all if it weren't for AMTRAK.

Overall, this is the same problem everywhere when it comes to regional rail services and not just an Atlanta/MARTA problem. Unless your city already had tons of commuter rail services prior to the 1960s that remained like NYC, Chicago, Boston, or Philadelphia you can forget about it. Yeah, yeah, other cities have built commuter lines but usually it's just one and a bus could do the same job.

If we ever wish to change this situation the Feds would have to force the freight rail companies to do something. That's not likely to happen, especially when so many of our politicians would rather be concerned with someone in dressing in drag.

Edit: Technically one of those places you can go to by train today and it only costs $36 for a round trip ticket. AMTRAKs Crescent train stops in Gainesville twice a day.
Speaking of Norfolk Southern, I love the new building, but does anyone else feel insulted that they located their new headquarters directly adjacent to the North Ave. MARTA station? I'd be curious to know how many of their employees take the train or if they provide discount Breeze cards to their employees.

I'll admit to being a bit bitter the NS parking deck isn't accessible to the general public considering it used to be a public lot that was my go-to spot when I needed to drive to see a show at the Fox. The deck of the Courtyard hotel right next to the theater is super convenient but pricey.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:48 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Speaking of Norfolk Southern, I love the new building, but does anyone else feel insulted that they located their new headquarters directly adjacent to the North Ave. MARTA station? I'd be curious to know how many of their employees take the train or if they provide discount Breeze cards to their employees.
A few people in my building work at NS and they all take MARTA to work, even before the new building opened.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:25 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post

I'll admit to being a bit bitter the NS parking deck isn't accessible to the general public considering it used to be a public lot that was my go-to spot when I needed to drive to see a show at the Fox. The deck of the Courtyard hotel right next to the theater is super convenient but pricey.
Hasn’t NS directly interfered with passenger rail to ClayCo? If so F them that’s insulting they use MARTA like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta