Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:39 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Executive Park REALLY needs something but the Sembler project was not it - agreed.

I think Emory Village will work out because Emory U is very powerful and will heavily influence whatever goes on there. Emory AND CDC both have a big smart-growth initiative.

I've talked to lots of people who say that Decatur used to be nothing but a suburb to Atlanta. But, it has done well for itself and it IS a great place to live.

And some things are a tourist attraction, like the concerts on the Square and such.
There are some intense discussions over what will be done about Emory Village. I don't think much alcohol is going to be allowed over there. Beer/wine but that's probably all that will be allowed. Emory is adamant in what it believes. cough--The Methodists. It does seem that John Wesley's ideas are simple enough to work pretty well. (Having heard more than enough about those ideas from my Mother--retired from Candler/administrative assistant.) At times I think if I hear another word about religion I will go insane. Faith is easier, but 'you know' how Mothers are. Can never seem to stop parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,718 times
Quote:
I think I can understand the OP's perspective. He/she came as a tourist looking for some wowswer entertainment. Thing is, Decatur, along with other intown neighborhoods, isn't a tourist destination. It's a great place to live. When you live there and have everything it offers at your fingertips THEN you can really appreciate what Decatur is.

Decatur is - close to where most people work, 100% good schools, walk to anything, access to downtown Atlanta from MARTA, fun activities to do for the whole family on a regular basis, good restaurants, full of people who love living there.

Not much of an attraction for tourists, true.
This is one of the best things that I have read in a long time! I have never really thought of it that way, but it is so true. I never really been impressed by Decatur or understood its massive appeal, especially on this forum (like the OP), but I completely understand what you are saying about living somewhere versus visiting. There is so much to be said about having everything at your fingertips... even if it is not a great "destination". In essence, it is not one thing that makes Decatur great, but everything in its entirety!

As for us, we are currently building in Pine Hills and will be moving there some time next year. We are moving to Pine Hills for most of the same reasons that you like Decatur. However, it is not a place to "visit". In fact, before we originally lived there, I never really understood the appeal of the Lenox area. However, after living there for 2 years, we fell in love with it and could not wait to move back. I guess there were so many intricacies associated with living there... things we never noticed before "visiting". Decatur is probably the same way (and many other in-town neighborhoods as you put it)! Thanks for the insight!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:03 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
I generally have this opinion of the entire city of Atlanta. I keep reading these articles about how Atlanta is such a generic, cultureless city and how there's nothing here that you can't really get in some fashion someplace more exciting. And I think, Are these people in the same city as me?

That's when I realized the people who wrote the articles didn't live here. They came here, looked around, and left.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM

Atlanta, from its inception, was a center for commerce.

'Corporate' -- I don't consider corporations that 'Interesting' but that is how it is.

I find the culture of North Georgia or the Coastal Empire to be more intriguing.

Atlanta is 'Home' to me, love it deeply whatever it is.

'Peggy' explained it well. Fascinating Atlantan and the literary greats of the area are some of the Greats. jmo.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM

288 posts, read 959,278 times
Staywarm, I feel ya on Decatur! It has kinda a laid back vibe, but other than a cool little town type feel and a couple decent pubs, there isnt much else IMO. I work not too far from there, and of what popular restaurants they have, there isnt much, or they are old places like Ruby Tuesdays, who even goes there anymore? lol! The people vibe too never seems like what everyone makes it out to be, like a hip young place, but maybe it depends on your view of whats hip!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
I work not too far from there, and of what popular restaurants they have, there isnt much, or they are old places like Ruby Tuesdays, who even goes there anymore? lol!
You are either ill-informed, or joking.

Off the top of my head:

Watershed
5th Earl Market
Depeaux
Cakes and Ale
Brickstore
Taqueria Del Sol
Carpe Diem
Crescent Moon
Wahoo
Cafe Lily
Sage
Feast
Cafe Alsace
Thinking Man Tavern
Twain's
Chocolate Bar (might have the name wrong on that one)

All of these are within EASY walking distance of the Decatur Plaza/Marta station.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:53 PM

151 posts, read 527,020 times
Quote:
I generally have this opinion of the entire city of Atlanta. I keep reading these articles about how Atlanta is such a generic, cultureless city and how there's nothing here that you can't really get in some fashion someplace more exciting. And I think, Are these people in the same city as me?

That's when I realized the people who wrote the articles didn't live here. They came here, looked around, and left.
I think this is very much true. And if all they see is the area around the aquarium, world of Coke, etc. then they have seen one of the least appealing areas of Atlanta, I think. Atlanta is about the neighborhoods, not destinations for tourists..unless you like strip clubs and sports bars.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM

513 posts, read 1,632,542 times
Quote:

I was about to say the same thing before I read your post. I've said this to people for years. And I can totally understand how a "hit and run" to Decatur might not make it seem like the most exciting place on Earth.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprime View Post
I think this is very much true. And if all they see is the area around the aquarium, world of Coke, etc. then they have seen one of the least appealing areas of Atlanta, I think. Atlanta is about the neighborhoods, not destinations for tourists..unless you like strip clubs and sports bars.
Bingo! When folks come in from out of town - I don't really have many touristy spots to take them to. If Atlanta is not a tourist attraction (which I think that many of us believe to be so) then why is that those that like living here like it so much?

The wonderful enclaves that each neighborhood seems to offer is a wonderful attribute of the city. I also think it's the lifestyle and the people. Of course we have rude folks - you would be miserable too commuting into the city on I-285 everyday!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
Staywarm, I feel ya on Decatur! It has kinda a laid back vibe, but other than a cool little town type feel and a couple decent pubs, there isnt much else IMO. I work not too far from there, and of what popular restaurants they have, there isnt much, or they are old places like Ruby Tuesdays, who even goes there anymore? lol! The people vibe too never seems like what everyone makes it out to be, like a hip young place, but maybe it depends on your view of whats hip!
You have to understand the Scots who started the ball rolling. Others from all over the nation and world have moved there because they liked what was done to create a good place for families to live.

I know that they have some sort of a big festival in the fall and there is all kinds of music, many exhibitors and partying. They haul sand in around 4th of July and do a beach party--plenty of jukin' and jivin' then, too.

Doubtful that they would do it differently, FWIW. DeKalb County Commissioners are just like Stone Mountain--resolve as hard as granite, in my experience. When they decide, after listening to community input, what they feel is best you have two choices--be grateful or move on.
That is just the way it is. I have been several times to discuss my priorities with my commissioner, Kathy Gannon and that is what I learned--not that I didn't already know that.

Things are much more relaxed now than they were 50 years ago. 'Some' would have tried to rebel against the tight control had they been around then. Might have gotten to be a guest of DeKalb County in its jail which needs major improvements, FWIW.

What with all the crime 'around' Decatur the DeKalb PD have their hands full and will not tolerate any sort of bad attitude.

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'...that is the motto. Decatur is certainly diverse and progressive but the fundamental values preserve the character that is desired by the community.

Go live in Cobb county and see what it is like over there.

Actually pretty much the same since they got their community building ideas from Decatur--it has won all kinds of awards for being a model community.

If you want a place like LA--then no one here will stop you from going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta