Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,495 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
We are considering a move to Atlanta from California, probably this summer (’07). My wife will be working at CDC, near Emory. We have two elementary-school age children. A nice neighborhood that has great schools, that is clean and green, would be ideal.

I never imagined I could move to a “red state” after the nightmare of the past six years, but I recognize there are islands of sanity most everywhere. Your suggestions are welcomed.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:12 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkjgc View Post
Greetings,
We are considering a move to Atlanta from California, probably this summer (’07). My wife will be working at CDC, near Emory. We have two elementary-school age children. A nice neighborhood that has great schools, that is clean and green, would be ideal.

I never imagined I could move to a “red state” after the nightmare of the past six years, but I recognize there are islands of sanity most everywhere. Your suggestions are welcomed.
Same here. That would be a change for me as well. But not too bad I suppose.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 PM

85 posts, read 505,385 times
First of all Atlanta metro isn't as "Red" as you might think. Atlanta has a large gay population and the two biggest counties in the state, Fulton and Dekalb, are "blue". Personally I hate those terms and politics in general, but there you go.

If you want a "liberal" and relatively progressive area, simply stick to those two counties and in general, you will not be in a hotbed of conservatism. More specifically, Decatur is known as the "Berkley of the South" if you want a liberal enclave. But really, the whole metro area doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets IMHO.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Atlanta itself, apart from the northern suburbs, is an "island of blue" as you state, mostly due to demographics. Go live in that island of blue south of interstate 20 and north of the airport and see how you like your democratic voting island. Island of sanity? Determine that for yourself, carry a gun for your own good, get a security system for your house.
Of coure then your comments beg the question - why are you leaving your liberal utopia of California in the first place for a *shudder* blue state? Not exactly a utopia was it? Funny that everyone wants to leave these liberal progressive utopia's in the northeast and California.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,495 times
Believe me, I do not wish to move from Calif. to Georgia for any reason other than the excellent position my wife is considering. I am quite content here. As CDC is located there, and not here, we are weighing the relative merits of a move. There are some massive positives and negatives. I'm just trying to explore whether one of these perceived negatives is as uniformly bad as I, perhaps ignorantly, fear. I am hoping to open my mind a bit. I have been happy to learn from from several of the responses I've read on this board that it seems there are some places that are both safe AND sane.

By the way, if "everyone wants to leave", why are houses three times more expensive here?

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times
Quote:
Atlanta itself, apart from the northern suburbs, is an "island of blue" as you state, mostly due to demographics. Go live in that island of blue south of interstate 20 and north of the airport and see how you like your democratic voting island. Island of sanity? Determine that for yourself, carry a gun for your own good, get a security system for your house.
The original poster would do well to dismiss this kind of sentiment. While the quoted author makes a subtle reference to "ghetto" type areas, the residents thereof don't typically exercise much civic responsibility at all; least of all, voting. Ignorance is neither blue nor red, but its very own state.

Having said that, consider Gwinnett county. It's the most economically and ethnically diverse part of the metro area, with many intellectual and left-of-center folks moving there.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:14 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,585 times
ckkjgc

From what I understand the liberal or blue enclaves of Georgia are Atlanta, Athens and Savannah.

I think it is relatively reasonable for people coming from a fairly liberal state to a fairly conservative state, or vice versa to ask the question you asked. I know plenty of conservatives that say they could never live in California or Massachusetts etc. But there are conservatives in both those states. The DC area is very liberal but there are plenty of conservatives in that area too. So I guess my only point here is that yes polical climate is a factor, but it isn't really a major one like job or family etc. unless you are talking some "cult-like" atmosphere.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 AM

985 posts, read 5,759,052 times
The region near Emory U is very upscale and nice. High schools (Druid Hill and Lakeside high) are pretty good as well. It is pretty liberal region as well. But it is very expensive ($400,000 and up) to me. If you can afford the house, that's great place to live. Since your wife work for CDC, that's short commute as well.

The place is also very beautiful as well. I remembered a couple of scenes from Gone with Winds shot over that region.

Last edited by jxu66; 01-16-2007 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-16-2007, 11:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
The original poster would do well to dismiss this kind of sentiment. While the quoted author makes a subtle reference to "ghetto" type areas, the residents thereof don't typically exercise much civic responsibility at all; least of all, voting. Ignorance is neither blue nor red, but its very own state.
In reality, the original poster shouldn't even consider politics in his living decisions. In reality, choose a place that has the job you want, that has a reasonable cost of living, low crime, good schools, etc. I am saying the democrat enclaves in Atlanta are in areas he probably doesn't want to live in. It sounds like he wants a house in upper middle class Buckhead, maybe Dunwoody, maybe Alpharetta. Hardly democrat oasis. But who cares? I don't generally go to my neighbor and discuss politics and I couldn't care less which way he voted. You are right, ignorance and intolerance have no political affiliation.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 25,455 times
If you can afford the housing AND the property taxes, you'd probably feel comfortable in an "intown" area such as around Emory, Druid Hills, or Virginia/Highlands. That would be convenient to CDC as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta