Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 PM

27 posts, read 152,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
How about the bay? Boating? Near the ocean? Location to Portland and Vancouver? A thriving downtown filled with restaurants and shopping? Maybe stuff like that?

Not if you were in the travel and tourism industry.

If you are in a business that caters to business travelers, then yes, a city like Atlanta will put money in your pocket. Not so much for the tourism industry. Atlanta as a business/convention city is very strong. It's just not the kind of place you feel you must visit on your list of vacation destinations. Again, it's not alone in this category - you can name a number of other cities that would draw a from people if you said you were taking a vacation there.
I can think of several cities that offer what you just mentioned in better climates. How does that distinguish Seattle? Boating is a small part of travel and tourism, most people will do it at their closest destination. I couldn't find anywhere in that site where they said "Seattle is better than Atlanta".

I don't think people are saying "Hey Honey! Let's take the family to Seattle for vacation!" anymore than they are saying that Atlanta.

Now I understand what you're saying from a tourist and leisure standpoint. There are other cities for tourism purpose that would be hard to knock down. If you're going to mention San Francisco, I'd like to see stats separating leisure and business travel but that is hard to measure and will always be arguable.

Here are a few links to the list of most visited U.S. Cities, Seattle doesn't even make the top 10 list but guess which city does?

The most visited U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

The Ten Most Visited Cities in the United States

Even for international visits

http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...and_Cities.pdf

Quote:
#7 Atlanta, Ga.
37 million visitors; 21.5 million rooms sold; score: 3.05
Thirty-seven million travelers visit the greater Atlanta area annually—. Its tourist attractions include the World of Coca Cola and Underground Atlanta, a subterranean mall that covers six city blocks.
For more information: Atlanta
Quote:
#21 Seattle, Wash.
15.7 million (9.4 million overnight visitors + 6.3 estimated day visitors); 9.4 million rooms sold; score: 1.32
About an equal number of visitors to Seattle in 2006 were visiting relatives as were enjoying a vacation, a fitting combination for a city that blends the familiar with the exotic. The Space Needle and Pike Place Market top lists of must-sees.
I don't know...if you don't like the place you live in why don't you just leave? I've read your posts and you have an overall disatisfaction of Atlanta.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM

171 posts, read 663,774 times
Default People vacation the most in places

depending upon their interests, region with the most attractions, time of the year, and where they can afford to go on vacation. Miami Beach during the spring/summer for college crowd & singles for people watching and some families have vacation homes in various spots throughout the U.S. Denver & up state N.Y. for the slopes during the winter time and out to California just to say they've been to Hollywood.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
[quote=martarider;5240304]Moderator cut: Quoting a deleted post
America's Favorite Cities 2008 | Atlanta | Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/city/atlanta - broken link)

People
CategoryScore (out of 5) Rank (out of 25)
Athletic/active 3.67 22
Attractive 3.79 23
Diverse 3.98 19
Friendly 3.91 18
Intelligent 3.60 20
Stylish 3.67 23

Last edited by MB2; 09-13-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Miami Beach, Not Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDDCtoATL View Post
Seattle? Huh? Even San Fran is questionable, you could have even said Washington, D.C. but Seattle for what?

Also be thankful that you're an economic powerhouse, I would much rather be a city known for a strong business climate than one known for just having a nice beach like Miami.

I really think some of you people in Atlanta take it for granted sometimes, you don't know how good you got it. Considering the odds against the city, for one it's not even a port town but the way it's grown over the decades, the Olympics, the number of Fortune 500 companies, the good publicity, you just don't know.
Actually, Miami doesn't have a beach. Miami Beach is a separate city with its own mayor, etc. Miami does have Biscayne Bay, but much of the actual city is just high rises, except the Bayside area.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDDCtoATL View Post
Here are a few links to the list of most visited U.S. Cities, Seattle doesn't even make the top 10 list but guess which city does?

The most visited U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

The Ten Most Visited Cities in the United States

Even for international visits

http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...and_Cities.pdf

I don't know...if you don't like the place you live in why don't you just leave? I've read your posts and you have an overall disatisfaction of Atlanta.
As far as articles (any, really) about "visitors to a city" - the one thing that many of these stories do incorrectly is clump conventioneers in with tourists. There is a difference between a visitor who comes here to attend an organized event/convention, and one who chooses to come here to see the local attractions. For instance, during the Olympics, you could correctly say that Atlanta had more tourists than just about anyone at least for a period. When the Aquarium FIRST opened, people were flying in from all over the world to see it (though the actual numbers of how many were impossible to track). But again, Atlanta is a business town - not a tourist destination. Yes of course we get some tourists as ANY city does. I would however, greatly argue with any article that puts us on a top-10 list for strictly tourists (not including conventioneers), though.

As far as your comment about "if you don't like it, why don't you leave?" Tell me - do you have $25,000 to shell out to just pull up and move elsewhere, regardless of how you feel about a city? Relocation is NOT cheap. Moving your belongings, finding a new home, moving PETS or KIDS, finding a new job... and especially when you're over the age of 40. It's not easy, nor is it cheap. If your response to people who bring up the not-so-hot aspects of the city is to just move, please, stand with them at the ATM and share your wealth so they can afford to. And just because someone points out something that isn't rosy and bright about a city doesn't mean they HATE it - it just means they're not a "rah rah rah" cheerleader for it all the time, and point out the realism of the place.

I would visit Seattle as a destination in a minute. Portland, too. Vancouver. I'd like to visit Bangor, Maine for that matter - as a destination. But the "convention" cities of Houston, Atlanta... no, I would not plan a week's itinerary around them. Do business in them? Sure.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I would visit Seattle as a destination in a minute. Portland, too. Vancouver. I'd like to visit Bangor, Maine for that matter - as a destination. But the "convention" cities of Houston, Atlanta... no, I would not plan a week's itinerary around them. Do business in them? Sure.
I truly must commend you for your response ...

Okay I'm gonna redirect here ... definately visit SEA ... PDX (Portland, OR) where I'm considering retirement move.

ALSO visit Portland, ME (PWM) ... which is gorgeous along the coast.

FORGET about Bangor, ME (pronounced BANg-GORE) Not much up there, been there many times (blah). Oh, if you say it incorrectly, (like Bang-er) you'll get MUCH worse a lecture than this forum about ATL ever could think up!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Looked pretty spot on to me.
If you remove the rank and review the point structure one will see the real reason.

The worst: Traffic
Then once you arrive: Safety. Only Philadelphia, New Orleans, and Los Angeles ranked worse.
I do have a feeling once the panhandle meters are in effect, all will be better.

Good to see a magazine using an unbiased poll data for measurement of active travelers to gain real insight. Now, if only Atlanta would actually come to reality and realize they actually have an image issue. Doubt it.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 PM

360 posts, read 1,010,894 times
Granted, I grew up in South Carolina and lived in North Carolina most of my adult life, but I've always considered Atlanta a great leisure destination:

Six Flags, the High Museum, Little Five Points, the Cyclorama, lots of good restaurants, cool neighborhoods like Va. Highlands and close-by cities like Decatur - just to name a scant few things to do.

(And by the way, I've been to NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Seattle, Charleston, Austin, Baltimore, D.C., San Antonio, London, Paris, Lisbon, Madrid and Dublin, among other cities ... so I'm hardly a rube with no point of comparison! LOL. I liked them all, for differing reasons. Just about every city has something to offer if you pack a positive attitude in that suitcase; even L.A., the city that most challenged my positive attitude! LOL.)

Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
HEY...at least you all made the list!!! Some cities were not even on there! You have to look at the bright side!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:54 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Atlanta is not, and probably never will be, a tourist destination. Atlanta was built in the interest of making money and continues to be a business city. For one thing, simply getting around is enough to elevate your stress levels into the stratosphere. Georgia has some fabulous places for tourists, but Atlanta most assuredly isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta