Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM

22 posts, read 146,848 times

Advertisements

Hi this is just a question and I have seen ablogger talk abotu her experiences living in Atlanta GA! how its supposedly the NY of the South? I dont see that I like Atlanta but NYC gives me WHOLE different feel! Im wondering with all the hooplah since 2001 and the Krunk movement in Hiphop and in the Mainstream MEda to perk up Atlanta as long as Bush has held Seat in Washington Atlanta has been so-called HOTLANTA! I know people who have said ATLANTA IS overrated and have moved to my area in Virginia! I was SHOCKED! because ATLANTAIANS are aarogant and self assuredthat ATL is the best! now to those of you who are Iffy do you think that it is Overrated??

I like ATL I think it is a bit exaggerated into what it really has I mean I find smiliarities in HPT Roads Virginia, Washington DC RIchmond VA Delaware, Miami, and even in Memphis and Bute Tennessee! so Im not understanding

if Tyler Perry and the Krunk movement and the CNN wasnt there or never filmed there would ATL be the IT of the South? do Media make it out to be to the IT? I dont get it I see NC similarites as well I mean the onlything I saw was Sooo many homosexuals openly in the conservative GA?? That blew me lol.. but the blacks are making ATL a staple of the south when all the south has TONs to offer and Florida even more in my opinion I mean really

IS IT OVERRATED??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgal View Post

if Tyler Perry and the Krunk movement and the CNN wasnt there or never filmed there would ATL be the IT of the South?

IS IT OVERRATED??
Considering I didn't know who Tyler Perrry was until the last thread about him came up a few months ago, and I have no idea what the hell "Krunk" is, I'd be willing to bet that Atlanta could easily survive without both of them. CNN is definitely a major employer here, but again, the earth wouldn't stop rotating if they moved elsewhere.

Is Atlanta "over-rated"? I guess that depends on what you're expecting it to be. To me, the Atlanta metro is everything I expected it to be- an affordable (relative to NJ) area with a fairly mild climate and plenty of job opportunities in my field- so in my case it's not "over-rated". If you're expecting something different and Atlanta doesn't live up to your expections, your opinion on it being over-rated will obviously be different.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:47 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
To me, the Atlanta metro is everything I expected it to be- an affordable (relative to NJ) area with a fairly mild climate and plenty of job opportunities in my field- so in my case it's not "over-rated".
I agree with Bob, and would add good schools and relatively low taxes to that list. I've made the point before and I think it needs to be made again here that your expectations will be based on how old you are, whether or not you're married and have children, and what you want out of life. Old boring people like me (43 yo ) who are married, have kids, and care more about watching football on Sunday than partying on Sat night, have different needs and expectations.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,667 times
Default If you think Atlanta is overrated your probably LAZY!!!

Quote:
Hi this is just a question and I have seen ablogger talk abotu her experiences living in Atlanta GA! how its supposedly the NY of the South? I dont see that I like Atlanta but NYC gives me WHOLE different feel! Im wondering with all the hooplah since 2001 and the Krunk movement in Hiphop and in the Mainstream MEda to perk up Atlanta as long as Bush has held Seat in Washington Atlanta has been so-called HOTLANTA! I know people who have said ATLANTA IS overrated and have moved to my area in Virginia! I was SHOCKED! because ATLANTAIANS are aarogant and self assuredthat ATL is the best! now to those of you who are Iffy do you think that it is Overrated??

I like ATL I think it is a bit exaggerated into what it really has I mean I find smiliarities in HPT Roads Virginia, Washington DC RIchmond VA Delaware, Miami, and even in Memphis and Bute Tennessee! so Im not understanding

if Tyler Perry and the Krunk movement and the CNN wasnt there or never filmed there would ATL be the IT of the South? do Media make it out to be to the IT? I dont get it I see NC similarites as well I mean the onlything I saw was Sooo many homosexuals openly in the conservative GA?? That blew me lol.. but the blacks are making ATL a staple of the south when all the south has TONs to offer and Florida even more in my opinion I mean really

IS IT OVERRATED??

First off most people on this board don’t understand/ and or don’t like Atlanta's current seat on the Urban America throne. For some it’s hard to fathom how Atlanta went from what it was 35 years ago, to what it is now as far as urban culture. Others just don’t like to hear that Atlanta has become synonymous with Hip Hop, or just urban culture period. But anyway…..

You used Krunk, LOL!!! I have not heard that one in a while, actually the Krunk movement was here in the late 90’s; it just didn’t catch on nationally until a few years later; but as with all fads it’s dead and gone now. So you think Atlanta is overrated?? For us blacks this is a hustler’s city, there is no where else in the country a black man or woman can live and make the amount of money that you can here, as we say here on the streets- you get it how you live!!! You can be in a corporate job, music industry job, public service job, entrepreneur, or if you choose to do so you can get it in the streets ten toes down grinding, whatever or however you make your money there is an opportunity here for you!!!! I had a cousin who moved here from Detroit and she was saying the same thing, that Atlanta is overrated; I just thought she was lazy and waiting for a handout. IMO I feel the people who say that are the ones who came here thinking they would have a job or business venture fall out of the sky into their lap. When they find out they have to grind it out here they get mad and go home, point blank they are not hustlers and never will be; if you can’t make money here in Atlanta you’re just a lost cause. I have also heard that Atlanta blacks are arrogant, but we don’t care! Most of us in the black community here in the “A” are too ambitious to care about that stuff, bottom line here with us is money. Worrying about what someone else thinks is just feeding into the crab in the barrel mentality that affects so many of our people elsewhere all over this country. As far as the music scene here, it’s not that serious to us, I guess we have just gotten used to it. And as far as the homosexuals, we don’t really care about them either, most of them come here to go to Morehouse and they just end up staying (yeah Maroon Tigers I said it, that’s why I went to school out of state) plus they have their part of town, and I actually think they bring culture to Atlanta that we wouldn’t otherwise have. If anything thats good for a dude like me, it just means more of the ladies for me. Not to mention but I never got why people who say they are straight are always so worried about gay people!! IMO people who go around worried about that particular segment of America have some deep rooted Sub-conscious issues they need to look inward to solve. I live close to Midtown and a number of my neighbors are gay, but I dont care becaue Im not gay and gay people dont threaten me. Only people who arent secure in their own sexual orientation worry about stuff like that

Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM

239 posts, read 922,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
For us blacks this is a hustler’s city, there is no where else in the country a black man or woman can live and make the amount of money that you can here, as we say here on the streets- you get it how you live!!!

I have also heard that Atlanta blacks are arrogant, but we don’t care! Most of us in the black community here in the “A” are too ambitious to care about that stuff, bottom line here with us is money.
Crazy Virgo... I hope you do not take following in a negative way, as I do not mean to single you out. I know you are entitled to your own opinion, but I do not feel that you are accurately describing the sentiment of "most of us in the black community in the A." While I'm sure there are some blacks in Atlanta that woud consider themselves hustlers whose bottom line is money, I do not belive that this accurately portrays the majority. Such broad strokes and characterizations can paint an inaccurate picture for people not familiar with Atlanta... Not to mention we already have enough false advertisements of black people in Atlanta, ie. "Real" Housewives, BET, etc.

OP... I think Atlanta is a wonderful city with great opportunities for those that work hard and have a plan. As many have said in the past, you will get out of Atlanta exactly what you put into it... just don't expect the land of milk and honey. Most successful people here educate themselves and work hard - that's it. It's not Atlanta that makes the people, it's the people that make Atlanta. Take the average successful person in ATL and move them to any other reasonably thriving city and chances are they will continue to be successful. Conversely, take the average UNsuccessful person from any other reasonably thriving city and move them to Atlanta and... well you know <-- I think that is what disappoints many people.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Vabeachgal, I think most people here realize that ATL isn't the NYC of anything, if we wanted NY we'd go to NY. I just saw some examples on from you and BobKovacs on saying that they see a little bit of the hometown/previous residence in Atlanta. I don't think people in this town are arrogant (some are of course) but some can get excited to see that ATL's growing up. You hearing about Atlanta had nothing to do with Bush. Someone reading your post from from of those cities may get excited and think that they're moving to the "DC of the deep South" or another Hampton Roads and move here and then be like "what happened". That's where all this talk comes from; Atlanta's a city that's still in transition so you'll see some of this and some of that. I hope that helps you.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
Crazy Virgo... I hope you do not take following in a negative way, as I do not mean to single you out. I know you are entitled to your own opinion, but I do not feel that you are accurately describing the sentiment of "most of us in the black community in the A." While I'm sure there are some blacks in Atlanta that woud consider themselves hustlers whose bottom line is money, I do not belive that this accurately portrays the majority. Such broad strokes and characterizations can paint an inaccurate picture for people not familiar with Atlanta... Not to mention we already have enough false advertisements of black people in Atlanta, ie. "Real" Housewives, BET, etc.

OP... I think Atlanta is a wonderful city with great opportunities for those that work hard and have a plan. As many have said in the past, you will get out of Atlanta exactly what you put into it... just don't expect the land of milk and honey. Most successful people here educate themselves and work hard - that's it. It's not Atlanta that makes the people, it's the people that make Atlanta. Take the average successful person in ATL and move them to any other reasonably thriving city and chances are they will continue to be successful. Conversely, take the average UNsuccessful person from any other reasonably thriving city and move them to Atlanta and... well you know <-- I think that is what disappoints many people.

^^

Oh no of course not, your right my opinion is not that of the of the entire black community, but it is one that is shared almost collectively by my generation here in the A, everybody that I know is money driven, from all parts and all backgrounds of Atlanta- Buckhead, SW, downtown, or Dekalb and parts in between and part of that has nothing to do with Atlanta, its from growing up in the 80's and seeing all the excess, the other is Atlanta because we grow up seeing all these corporate big wigs, rappers, athletes, here in the city and we see the nice things they have and the uber luxury life they live here in the city and we don’t want to duplicate it, but we want some of the same nice things as well. So of course when we come of age in this current generation in this city we want to "do it big" as we say. Sorry but Im sticking to my guns, I travel quite a bit and I dont see the same ambition and drive to make money in other urban centers as I do here in Atlanta. This is a hustlers city, you can ask anyone, anywhere in the country that and they will tell you the same, Atlanta is known for having black people who are on they grind. My opinion was not made from being here in Atlanta; I came to that conclusion by traveling and getting others views in other places about Atlanta. Take Chicago for instance, as Im originally from Chicago, grew up here in Atlanta, but Im in Chicago almost on a monthly basis, and its no comparison between the young brothers in Chicago's hustle and us young brothers here in Atlanta. When my family comes here to visit they are amazed at the things that we do here

Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM

239 posts, read 922,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
^^

Oh no of course not, your right my opinion is not that of the of the entire black community, but it is one that is shared almost collectively by my generation here in the A, everybody that I know is money driven, from all parts and all backgrounds of Atlanta- Buckhead, SW, downtown, or Dekalb and parts in between and part of that has nothing to do with Atlanta, its from growing up in the 80's and seeing all the excess, the other is Atlanta because we grow up seeing all these corporate big wigs, rappers, athletes, here in the city and we see the nice things they have and the uber luxury life they live here in the city and we don’t want to duplicate it, but we want some of the same nice things as well. So of course when we come of age in this current generation in this city we want to "do it big" as we say. Sorry but Im sticking to my guns, I travel quite a bit and I dont see the same ambition and drive to make money in other urban centers as I do here in Atlanta. This is a hustlers city, you can ask anyone, anywhere in the country that and they will tell you the same, Atlanta is known for having black people who are on they grind. My opinion was not made from being here in Atlanta; I came to that conclusion by traveling and getting others views in other places about Atlanta. Take Chicago for instance, as Im originally from Chicago, grew up here in Atlanta, but Im in Chicago almost on a monthly basis, and its no comparison between the young brothers in Chicago's hustle and us young brothers here in Atlanta. When my family comes here to visit they are amazed at the things that we do here
Cool... I believe we are actually of the same generation - I'm 25 and also a transplant (NYC). Just wanted to state an alternative observation. Though different from mine, I respect your view and appreciate the clarification.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Considering I didn't know who Tyler Perrry was until the last thread about him came up a few months ago, and I have no idea what the hell "Krunk" is, I'd be willing to bet that Atlanta could easily survive without both of them. CNN is definitely a major employer here, but again, the earth wouldn't stop rotating if they moved elsewhere.

Is Atlanta "over-rated"? I guess that depends on what you're expecting it to be. To me, the Atlanta metro is everything I expected it to be- an affordable (relative to NJ) area with a fairly mild climate and plenty of job opportunities in my field- so in my case it's not "over-rated". If you're expecting something different and Atlanta doesn't live up to your expections, your opinion on it being over-rated will obviously be different.

Ill Drink to this statement. People always move here based on Hype. I dont think atlanta is over rated at all everything the media puts out about it is true. CNN ,The Olympics ,3rd in country for Fortune 500, companies affordable housing and real estate, Busiest Airport, and I guess the 5.2 million people that live in atlanta metro area dont think so. I mean people say NYC LA Chicago or over rated to so that title can go to anyone.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Hi this is just a question and I have seen ablogger talk abotu her experiences living in Atlanta GA! how its supposedly the NY of the South?
That blogger is showing their age, because the "New York of the South" marketing hype was used by ad agencies in Atlanta from the early to late 1980s. The two most common slogans used on postcards, hats, shirts, etc., were, "Atlanta - New York of the South", as well as, "Move over Big Apple..." - with a scantily clad red haired woman about to eat a Peach. Didn't really work - they dropped it.

Atlanta now is really nicknamed the "L.A. of the East" mainly due to traffic, smog, and sprawl, but it's hardly something the tourism department uses in their ads. The city has always had a problem with trying to compare themselves with other cities rather than create it's own unique style. Maybe one day the right marketing folks will get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta