U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,744 posts, read 10,031,413 times
Reputation: 3268

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Thank you...I'm sure many of the experts commenting in this thread have assumed he was an uneducated ghetto rat. Those are the same folks that support the death penalty...
I didn't read where anyone assumed anything about his educational achievement, and even if they did, who cares? Many prisoners use taxpayer funds in prison to get an education. I guess that's their version of the Hope Scholarship. Whether he was a college professor or he worked at McDonalds doesn't matter one iota.

He's a remorseless, cold blooded cop killer, and he should be facing a death sentence. The fact that anyone could feel sympathy for him or think he deserves any kind of mercy is just beyond me. I know that there are principled stances against the death penalty, but when the situation is this clear cut, I find those arguments hollow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 AM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,754,268 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I didn't read where anyone assumed anything about his educational achievement, and even if they did, who cares? Many prisoners use taxpayer funds in prison to get an education. I guess that's their version of the Hope Scholarship. Whether he was a college professor or he worked at McDonalds doesn't matter one iota.

He's a remorseless, cold blooded cop killer, and he should be facing a death sentence. The fact that anyone could feel sympathy for him or think he deserves any kind of mercy is just beyond me. I know that there are principled stances against the death penalty, but when the situation is this clear cut, I find those arguments hollow.
There was an assumption that came through loud and clear that Brian Nichols is not college educated or even educated at all.

That's your opinion...and I hope most people don't find a "cop killer" any worse than any other killer. I don't find anyone feeling sorry for him in this thread...and there's a big difference in sympathy for an individual and disgust for the death penalty.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 12-14-2008 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,744 posts, read 10,031,413 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There was an assumption that came through loud and clear that Brian Nichols is not college educated or even educated at all. It comes through loud and clear.

That's your opinion...and I hope most people don't find a "cop killer" any worse than any other killer. I don't find anyone feeling sorry for him in this thread...and there's a big difference in sympathy for an individual and disgust for the death penalty.
I think you're trying to make a racial situation where none exists. If your point is that people assumed he wasn't college educated because he was black, then that's your cross to bear. I see a cold blooded killer and don't give a rat's behind how many degrees he has.

As for the cop killer distinction, most states have more severe penalties for cop killers, because the assumption is that if someone is brazen enough and twisted enough to shoot a cop, they'll have no compunction against shooting you or me. I do look at shooting a cop as more egregious. I guess the day of respecting the law and those who represent the law are gone for some in our community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,280 posts, read 1,839,119 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
He's a remorseless, cold blooded cop killer, and he should be facing a death sentence. The fact that anyone could feel sympathy for him or think he deserves any kind of mercy is just beyond me. I know that there are principled stances against the death penalty, but when the situation is this clear cut, I find those arguments hollow.
I have no sympathy for him and I am not advocating any sort of mercy. But I do have this question: what is the benefit in killing him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:13 AM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,754,268 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I think you're trying to make a racial situation where none exists. If your point is that people assumed he wasn't college educated because he was black, then that's your cross to bear. I see a cold blooded killer and don't give a rat's behind how many degrees he has.

As for the cop killer distinction, most states have more severe penalties for cop killers, because the assumption is that if someone is brazen enough and twisted enough to shoot a cop, they'll have no compunction against shooting you or me. I do look at shooting a cop as more egregious. I guess the day of respecting the law and those who represent the law are gone for some in our community.
Hmmm...and I didn't even mention race - you did.

No, I don't see how a cop's life is more important than any other...all life is precious, and should not be so easily dismissed. How about the life of the judge he killed? Just as important in my book...as are the lives of a teacher, parking attendant, or the clerk at the convenience store down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,744 posts, read 10,031,413 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
But I do have this question: what is the benefit in killing him?
Wow....that's a softball question. Simple:

- He'd never kill anyone ever again. Not in public or in prison. He's a menace to society. Even the Judge admonished prison guards to keep their eyes open, even when Nichols is "80 years old".

- Retribution and justice. His crime was heinous and deserves the ultimate penalty.

- One less person in our prison system

- To a lesser degree, and I know opinions are mixed, but to signal that crimes of this magnitude will be dealt with harshly and quickly. The "deterrent" effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,744 posts, read 10,031,413 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Hmmm...and I didn't even mention race - you did.
I can read between your lines. Was I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 AM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,754,268 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I can read between your lines. Was I wrong?
Yes, you were WAY wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,744 posts, read 10,031,413 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yes, you were WAY wrong.
Then I apologize for an incorrect assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 AM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,777,999 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Then I apologize for an incorrect assumption.
You weren't wrong- he just won't admit that you were correct......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top