Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I guess you didn't actually read the article.

And I seriously doubt that only NASCAR (a multi-billion dollar sports industry that has more viewers than any other professional sport in the country besides football, by the way) could have made Charlotte the 18th largest city and the 2nd largest banking center in the country, nor is it responsible for the over 400,000 people who have moved to the metropolitan area since 2000.
Did anyone see the new South Park this week about NASCAR? Cartman isn't poor and stupid enough to be a NASCAR driver...it was so wrong and so hilarious!

For anyone interested: Poor and Stupid (Season 14, Episode 8) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Birmingham, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Memphis... they are really all at the same level/tier.

Then there's Atlanta. Cultural/Population/Economic capital of the Southeast. Only Atlanta can be mentioned in the same breadth as cities like Chicago, even if that is a bit of stretch. The same cant be said for the other cities.

If any of those cities were to catch up with Atlanta, id say it would be Charlotte. But by that time Atlanta will be at the next level. That is why I don't really think Charlotte is a competitor. More of a replacement of a void that will need be filled once the time comes when Atlanta being compared to Chicago isn't a stretch at all.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:57 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
All you need to do is go to this link and it will tell you about all of GA industries and more things about the state of GA

Georgia.org - Georgia Manufacturing - Automotive Business - Food Processing - Metal Fabrication (http://georgia.org/GeorgiaIndustries/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 PM

216 posts, read 298,590 times
I agree that at this moment you cannot really compare Atlanta with cities like Charlotte, Nashville and Jacksonville. However only a mere 40yrs ago, Atlanta was the same size as Birmingham. It took the Atl airport to spur the growth that you see today. Atlanta decided to become competitive and actively seek growth. I'm pretty sure you could not have told people from the past that Atlanta would be the size it is today! I said all that to say this. Never dismiss anyone! You can' t deny that businesses are weighing their options. Ncr just up and decided to leave Ohio for Atlanta! The same can happen here! We can't just become complacent we have to continue to be innovative and compete! It's that simple!

I always find the " this city is better than that one" trends amusing! Truth is no two cities should ever be exactly alike! Why in the hell would you ever want to go anywhere if thats the case? The differences are what make them unique and give them character! WHY WOULD I EVER WANT TO LEAVE ATLANTA IF EVERY CITY IN THE WORLD LOOKED JUST LIKE IT! Just a thought!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Thanks for the information.

I didn't know about some of these things, and it's good to see the state of Georgia doing more within recent years to bring economic prosperity to the entire state. Another point you could have brought up was the proposed transportation bill and hopefully it will pass. But I still maintain that NC has had this mentality for decades now and is the reason why NC is where it is right now. The state of Georgia can largely thank Atlanta for where it is, while the cities of Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, and Winston-Salem can thank North Carolina for where they are.
Fair enough.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Birmingham, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Memphis... they are really all at the same level/tier.

Then there's Atlanta. Cultural/Population/Economic capital of the Southeast. Only Atlanta can be mentioned in the same breadth as cities like Chicago, even if that is a bit of stretch. The same cant be said for the other cities.

If any of those cities were to catch up with Atlanta, id say it would be Charlotte. But by that time Atlanta will be at the next level. That is why I don't really think Charlotte is a competitor. More of a replacement of a void that will need be filled once the time comes when Atlanta being compared to Chicago isn't a stretch at all.
No they aren't in the same tier. Charlotte and possibly Tampa are in a tier above the other cities. None of the other cities GDP comes close to Charlottes($30 billion is a big gap). Plus the everyday amenities(with all do respect to Disney), cbds, of Charlotte and in some regards Tampa put them above the opther cities. I strongly suggest that people stop thinkin that because a city has more people that makes it better than a city with less people. Quite a few companies have moved their headquarters and operations from Atlanta to Charlotte for this specific reason. Big city perks without big city problems(yet). For example: one of the busiest airports in the world is in CHarlotte( can't remember the exact ranking but we are in the top 20). Also Charlotte is ranked # 7 in the country number of Fortune 500 companies located here. We also have plenty of amenities that for some reason some ATL posters think we don't have(amusment parks, animal science centers,jazz clubs, CBDS other than uptown). IF Charlotte was really as bad as some of yall "wish" that it was Mecklenburg County would not be the #1 relocation spot for Atlanta residents(thats not a shot just a fact).

Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
And believe it or not.....quite a few business have left NC for Atlanta.....Honestly Charlotte should more be worried about neighboring Greenville/Spartanburg.....then it should Atlanta.

And about that article the writer pretty much said.....while there are a couple of other things to do in Charlotte....the only thing worthwhile (to him) was the NASCAR HOF. Is there even a symphony orchestra here?? A ballet?? Do broadway productions come here?? If so what are the venues?? Any operas recently??

And I swear people think Charlotte is in SOUTH CAROLINA....Everytime I tell family in NY or friends in Georgia that I live in Charlotte now...they said something similar to wow....how is SC?? Isn't it backwards....and I have to say no it's in NC.......ooohhhh...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
No they aren't in the same tier. Charlotte and possibly Tampa are in a tier above the other cities. None of the other cities GDP comes close to Charlottes($30 billion is a big gap). Plus the everyday amenities(with all do respect to Disney), cbds, of Charlotte and in some regards Tampa put them above the opther cities. I strongly suggest that people stop thinkin that because a city has more people that makes it better than a city with less people. Quite a few companies have moved their headquarters and operations from Atlanta to Charlotte for this specific reason. Big city perks without big city problems(yet). For example: one of the busiest airports in the world is in CHarlotte( can't remember the exact ranking but we are in the top 20). Also Charlotte is ranked # 7 in the country number of Fortune 500 companies located here. We also have plenty of amenities that for some reason some ATL posters think we don't have(amusment parks, animal science centers,jazz clubs, CBDS other than uptown). IF Charlotte was really as bad as some of yall "wish" that it was Mecklenburg County would not be the #1 relocation spot for Atlanta residents(thats not a shot just a fact).
Please name the companies that have moved their HQ's and operations from Atlanta to Charlotte.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 PM

265 posts, read 330,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
And believe it or not.....quite a few business have left NC for Atlanta.....Honestly Charlotte should more be worried about neighboring Greenville/Spartanburg.....then it should Atlanta.
In what way should Charlotte be worrying about Greenville-Spartanburg? While they are doing well for themselves, they are not in Charlotte's league whatsoever and show no signs of making that transition anytime soon (no F500 companies, no major league professional sports, no mass transit, much slower growth, lower per capita income, etc.). I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt before, but you're just being ridiculous now.

Quote:
And about that article the writer pretty much said.....while there are a couple of other things to do in Charlotte....the only thing worthwhile (to him) was the NASCAR HOF.
The writer didn't say any such thing. You are putting words in his mouth.

Quote:
Is there even a symphony orchestra here?? A ballet?? Do broadway productions come here?? If so what are the venues?? Any operas recently??
Yes to all of the above.

Charlotte Symphony Orchestra

Charlotte City Ballet Company

North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center Search All: Broadway Events

North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center Our Theaters

Opera Carolina: Overview

Quote:
And I swear people think Charlotte is in SOUTH CAROLINA....Everytime I tell family in NY or friends in Georgia that I live in Charlotte now...they said something similar to wow....how is SC?? Isn't it backwards....and I have to say no it's in NC.......ooohhhh...
So it's Charlotte's fault that your family and friends seem to lack basic geographic knowledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Please name the companies that have moved their HQ's and operations from Atlanta to Charlotte.
I'm not one to give that overly-boosterish guy ammo, but Charlotte banks did gobble up a few Atlanta-based banks in the 90's, and recently Siemens Energy Inc. decided to move their nuclear instrumentation and control group unit to Charlotte from Alpharetta. But I'm pretty sure just as many, if not more, examples could be found for a Charlotte-to-Atlanta migration. Companies do that sort of thing all the time.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:18 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
U got me on the Charlotte in SC one...lol....give me 5 mins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta