Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 15,321 times

Advertisements

We are considering a purchase of a home on Norris Lake as our primary residence. We have academically gifted elementary school-aged children and I haven't been able to find many reviews or information about the school performance (elemantary through HS) in this particular cluster. It looks like the local high school (I believe it's Shiloh) has seen decreasing test scores and has gotten some iffy reviews over the last few years, and it also appears that the ethnic demographic of the student population has changed dramatically over the last 10 years as well. Can anyone speak to the quality of the public schools (elementary through high school) in this district cluster? This is really our only concern, and won't necessarily keep us from buying here, but may have an influence on whether we send our kids to the public schools or if we'll want to look at private schools, which is an additional expense we'd have to consider. Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 PM

53 posts, read 158,499 times
"Aries" and "Bill's wife TWO LOL" you should have pointed out there is a new upscale house being built on Hightower Trail in Norris Lake IN THIS ECONOMY and there is no new construction anywhere else in Atlanta except Norris Lake and surrounding south Gwinnett County! That brick fence beside the new house going in on Hightower Trail will form I am told a side courtyard. The fence alone cost around 70k I am told. ALL THIS ATTENTION Norris Lake is getting is grand!!! There is hardly a house left for sell, both the ones on our street sold to very lovely families in the last six weeks. Another new house is going to start on the north side of the lake I also heard.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Who would not love Norris Lake with all the attention we are getting????? But Mrs. Bill II (is that you Christina?) If so point out you are BILL's FIRST CURRENT AND ONLY WIFE though the screen name is misleading LOL hehehe. You should have pointed out that there is NEW UPSCALE CONSTRUCTION in Norris Lake IN THIS ECONOMY! A grand new home is going up on Hightower Trail and the fence alone cost $70k being a brick fence down the side that will make a grand courtyard along the side of the house. Another new house is going to go up soon on the north side of the lake. BOTH the houses on our street have sold in the last few weeks and to lovely families, one year-round and the other as a vacation home. It is also interesting that Norris Lake and surrounding south Gwinnett County are the ONLY places there are new homes going up in the middle of this recession and repo glutted market in the Atlanta area. Ride and see for yourself the good things going on in the area!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfermin View Post
We are considering a purchase of a home on Norris Lake as our primary residence. We have academically gifted elementary school-aged children and I haven't been able to find many reviews or information about the school performance (elemantary through HS) in this particular cluster. It looks like the local high school (I believe it's Shiloh) has seen decreasing test scores and has gotten some iffy reviews over the last few years, and it also appears that the ethnic demographic of the student population has changed dramatically over the last 10 years as well. Can anyone speak to the quality of the public schools (elementary through high school) in this district cluster? This is really our only concern, and won't necessarily keep us from buying here, but may have an influence on whether we send our kids to the public schools or if we'll want to look at private schools, which is an additional expense we'd have to consider. Many thanks in advance!
Mr Fermin The schools that serve Lake Norris are EXCELLENT! Alot of the techno-professionals in Snellville use them for their children as do alot of the high professionals that live in the new upscale neighborhoods along Centerville Highway. Go to the clubhouse or to the lake when something is occurying and alot of people will be there and ask the neighbors. Explaining you are a prospective homeowner will get you in most likely. There are several kids in the area curtrently in good grad schools who went ot the public schools there and graduated High School in the early 2000's. ALOT of local business owners and many professionals including MD's (see our neighborhood website for how many and a breakdown tacky as it is to have it posted LOL) live in Lake Norris and all of them that I know use the Public schools.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 AM

33 posts, read 91,477 times
Default Ivy League Colleges LOVE Shiloh Graduates

Quote:
Hey Fermin! The schools are fine. You can see the STATS online that there have been MANY Ivy league acceptances of Shiloh graduates in recent years and this is RARE for a public High School. THIS IS FACT and I am certain the school can help you find the website if you cannot find it with google. I know of two Shiloh grads who went to Yale and another one who turned down Yale for a US Military Academy.
There is also a young actor who went there.
They have an outstanding Principal there who came awhile back.
I will explain what happened with the demographics. The area that Shiloh serves was a plain-jane middle classed mostly white neighborhood.
Much as happened in parts of Marietta and Roswell and Lithonia what had been a working class area came to be fashionable with higher income households. In south Gwinnett County and in Snellville (as in Lithonia and Roswell and Marietta) very expensive subdivisions popped up mixed in with subdivisions of 1960's plain houses.
With the gentrification of the area affluent blacks and asians (and whites) came in. It is the oddest thing that even six figure blacks have black children...except Haley Berry I hear LOL.
Gwinnett County is about 80 percent white. Of the few blacks who live in Gwinnett County over half have household incomes of over 100K (google demographics/income by race).
Hope this explains the demographic change at the school. Affluent standard English speaking black professionals have come into the area and use the school for their kids just as their upper middle classed white counterparts do. It is not white flight LOL (like in north Fayette).
Blacks built the house next to me and it is the largest on on my street. They sold it to whites last year.
It is a great area with great schools.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-mann View Post
Hey Fermin! The schools are fine. You can see the STATS online that there have been MANY Ivy league acceptances of Shiloh graduates in recent years and this is RARE for a public High School. THIS IS FACT and I am certain the school can help you find the website if you cannot find it with google. I know of two Shiloh grads who went to Yale and another one who turned down Yale for a US Military Academy.
There is also a young actor who went there.
They have an outstanding Principal there who came awhile back.
I will explain what happened with the demographics. The area that Shiloh serves was a plain-jane middle classed mostly white neighborhood.
Much as happened in parts of Marietta and Roswell and Lithonia what had been a working class area came to be fashionable with higher income households. In south Gwinnett County and in Snellville (as in Lithonia and Roswell and Marietta) very expensive subdivisions popped up mixed in with subdivisions of 1960's plain houses.
With the gentrification of the area affluent blacks and asians (and whites) came in. It is the oddest thing that even six figure blacks have black children...except Haley Berry I hear LOL.
Gwinnett County is about 80 percent white. Of the few blacks who live in Gwinnett County over half have household incomes of over 100K (google demographics/income by race).
Hope this explains the demographic change at the school. Affluent standard English speaking black professionals have come into the area and use the school for their kids just as their upper middle classed white counterparts do. It is not white flight LOL (like in north Fayette).
Blacks built the house next to me and it is the largest on on my street. They sold it to whites last year.
It is a great area with great schools.

The Shiloh/Centerville/Annistown Area is very beautiful--and a well-kept Metro Atlanta secret. Good post.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 15,321 times
Wow - thank you all that responded to my post! I really appreciate the insight and information about the community and the schools in particular from folks who actually live there. I think we are totally sold on this area and I'm eager to make this relocation happen so we can enjoy Norris Lake in the spring! It definitely sounds like this is exactly the community we are looking for and everyone I have spoken with (folks on this board included) have been nothing but warmly welcoming and honest. Would you say there are a lot of families with younger (elementary/middle school-aged) children in the immediate Norris Lake community? I think the only ones left with any reservations are our children, having to move out of state and make new friends. It would certainly be nice to know if there are children in the area that they would be meeting and could get to know in the neighborhood to ease the transition a little. It seems that the community is very safe and family-oriented and that there would be many opportunities for them to meet other kids close to home.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,723 times
markfermin - they just opened a brand new elementary school in the area this year - can't beat a brand new school!!

I'm sure the kids will make lots of new friends, as there is a great pool/rec area in Norris Lake, not to mention the lake itself. After all, who wouldn't want to go to their new friends house to swim and bbq at the lake?!

There's also a couple of parks nearby - Lenora Church and Briscoe - one is city and one is county.

Norris Lake is also not far from the big Stonecrest Mall - shopping, restaurants, movies, etc.

I think ya'll will do fine here!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 PM

Default Another affirmative for Mr Fermin!

Quote:
Wow - thank you all that responded to my post! I really appreciate the insight and information about the community and the schools in particular from folks who actually live there. I think we are totally sold on this area and I'm eager to make this relocation happen so we can enjoy Norris Lake in the spring! It definitely sounds like this is exactly the community we are looking for and everyone I have spoken with (folks on this board included) have been nothing but warmly welcoming and honest. Would you say there are a lot of families with younger (elementary/middle school-aged) children in the immediate Norris Lake community? I think the only ones left with any reservations are our children, having to move out of state and make new friends. It would certainly be nice to know if there are children in the area that they would be meeting and could get to know in the neighborhood to ease the transition a little. It seems that the community is very safe and family-oriented and that there would be many opportunities for them to meet other kids close to home.
Yes you will be pleased to know that Lake Norris is full of children who would be potential friends and playmates for your own. I find (that) the young people in the neighborhood (are) extremely polite and well behaved. This promotes my opinion that a living in a water-oriented area has a positive effect on the personality.
See our lovely website for photos of alot of the activities that go on and you will see alot of the people who live here.
Let me mention a fact that noone else has put forth in this very interesting series of posts. There are multiple existences of several members of the same family all owning homes in Lake Norris which is another prime substantiator of the area's great quality. Furthur many people who used to have weekend houses here moved to them full time due to enjoying the area so much.
Also let me add if you are Jewish as I are prejudging by your name that you might be LOL please visit Temple Beth David in Snellville. It is one of metro-Atlanta's fasting growing Synagogues and full of very fine and lovely people.
Obviously the area is simply made for you and your family! When a set of circumstances is this right just act on them and enjoy the ride!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 AM

461 posts, read 1,069,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaidefromLondon View Post
To PEACHEATINGHOMEGROWNGAL...What I said was "ON MY STREET" not "IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD". Learn to read and the concept of comprehension of what you have read in AT LEAST your native language. I went to school five years for what I do and do not peddle houses for a living so you may trust my advice. I also have a six figure man and would be willing to offer advice to you on getting a man as I am certain you are manless with that nasty attifude. At least PLAY SWEET til you catch one LOL.... Love, Adel
Totally unnecessary and vile. Your original post was not clear and did not indicate that you were "only referring to your street." Also, Norris Lake is hardly the only place where new construction is happening in the Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta