Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,445 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Ga and Douglasville with my partner. Should I anticipate any problems or is this a gay friendly area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 06:37 AM

218 posts, read 1,189,312 times
You should not have a problem in Douglasville or any other area for that manner. There are always going to be ignorant people; no one in Douglasville is going to ask you if you are gay unless you tell them so it really doesn't matter where you move. People formulate their own opinions based on what you tell them.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 6,475 times
Default Anneewakee Trails

after talking to one of the Douglas County Sheriff's Deputies i got the impression that the crime rate at Anneewakee Trails was above average. So i would make sure to check not only about the schools and neighborhood but also any crimes in that area just to be safe..

Old 08-04-2007, 06:10 AM

58 posts, read 228,393 times
I have friends who bought and left Anneewakee Trails.....the homes are beautiful and the one they owned was a David Weekly Home. This builder has some very nice floorplans....But I would weigh all of your options when deciding on a neighborhood.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,379 times
Default Stay AWAY from DC!

I would not advise ANYONE to move to D'ville! It is the GHETTO! My child attends Chapel Hill High and while that USED to be the best school in the county it is now on it's way to becoming a failing school. The principal, Dr. Branch, mailed out a letter just this week and basically said all of the "African American" students are bringing down the test scores(specifically in the area of math). Nice huh?

Old 08-12-2007, 04:13 PM

57 posts, read 263,148 times
Default A shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperate2get-out View Post
I would not advise ANYONE to move to D'ville! It is the GHETTO! My child attends Chapel Hill High and while that USED to be the best school in the county it is now on it's way to becoming a failing school. The principal, Dr. Branch, mailed out a letter just this week and basically said all of the "African American" students are bringing down the test scores(specifically in the area of math). Nice huh?
It's a shame on many levels. I think the lower test scores are a more global phenomenon than one that is specific to Douglas County. Certainly there tends to be a trend towards certain ethnic groups performing less well than others. I would argue that it is less race-specific and more socioeconomic. I say this as a "person of color" who has succeeded and experienced this issue on a personal level. I only add my $0.02 because I'm afraid posts like this, as well as statements such as the one issued by the principal at Chapel Hill, might make people believe that school quality and scores are intrinsically related to the ethnic composition of the students. I moved to GA from FL and was raised in OH. I did my undergraduate work as well as my medical doctorate at Ivy League schools. I attended a public high school in Ohio. My test scores were quite good. I was also fortunate enough to have 2 parents who cared, both pf whom earned 2 graduate degrees. I also had a community that fostered education. Let's look at the parents of many of these "me generation" kids. Education starts at home, as does social responsiblity, etc. Just look at the recent issues with the Arbor Place Mall. We as parents shouldn't look for others to raise our children.

Sorry for the soapbox and thread highjack

Cheers,
PMMD

Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperate2get-out View Post
If that is true, then he should be thrown out on his a$$ like yesterday.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 18,490 times
I work at Chapel Hill High School and Dr. Branch's letter was correct. It was the African American and lower socioeconomic students who caused us to fail AYP. I am African American myself and yes, the truth hurts. Please don't bash Dr. Branch because he does as much as he can for our school and students. It's not his fault that certain people have moved to this county and changed it and the schools drastically. We are all adjusting. I'm not from Douglasville but my family moved here many years ago because we appreciated the wonderful family atmosphere. Unfortunately, others have moved here to rent homes and instead of adapting to their new lives, they want us to change. Well, I don't appreciate it. If I wanted my kids around that type of element, I would have moved somewhere else.

As pmichaelmd stated, education starts at home. I can't believe some of the students and parents that I have encountered. I wouldn't advise anyone to move to that particular subdivision because I haven't heard many good things about it but Douglasville is a wonderful place to live. The law enforcement officials are working hard to clamp down on the negative, criminally minded individuals who have decided to bring their crime here.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techfan View Post
I work at Chapel Hill High School and Dr. Branch's letter was correct. It was the African American and lower socioeconomic students who caused us to fail AYP. I am African American myself and yes, the truth hurts. Please don't bash Dr. Branch because he does as much as he can for our school and students. It's not his fault that certain people have moved to this county and changed it and the schools drastically. We are all adjusting. I'm not from Douglasville but my family moved here many years ago because we appreciated the wonderful family atmosphere. Unfortunately, others have moved here to rent homes and instead of adapting to their new lives, they want us to change. Well, I don't appreciate it. If I wanted my kids around that type of element, I would have moved somewhere else.

As pmichaelmd stated, education starts at home. I can't believe some of the students and parents that I have encountered. I wouldn't advise anyone to move to that particular subdivision because I haven't heard many good things about it but Douglasville is a wonderful place to live. The law enforcement officials are working hard to clamp down on the negative, criminally minded individuals who have decided to bring their crime here.
Wow!! You have really bought into that good ole' boy brain washing that has been going on here. 'The African American and poor students are tearing this great place called Douglasville down'. In what capacity do you work at Chapel Hill, janitor perhaps? I would pray that you are not one of the people entrusted to educate our children! Chapel Hill is not the only school playing the blame game, so is Alexander, the local newspaper and elected officials. I do believe that it is ashamed that the school refuses to accept responsibility in properly preparing these children for the test. I know it is easier to blame the child, because that makes the principal and teachers feel better about the **** poor job they are doing and relieves them of their responsibility. First of all I do believe it is a huge mistake by the state of Georgia to segregate scores based on race and socioeconomic status. It creates an environment for schools like those in Douglas County to make excuses for why they are not performing. If schools are supposed to be integrated why is it necessary to separate scores based on race. Last, I have lived in Douglasville for four years. I am currently looking to sell my home and leave this country backwards county. My children are African American and they attend private school because their education is too important to trust to a country backwards antiquated public school system such as Douglas County.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 18,490 times
Although we have some of the best custodians in the world, I can assure you that I am not one. I also have enough respect for the people who clean up after messy teens to not degrade them for the choice of employment. I stand by my earlier statement. I don't need a "good ole boy" to brainwash me. I know how this county was when I moved and I see what it has changed into.

We do agree on one thing; test scores should not be segregated, but they are. Now what do we do? We have to figure out why there are disparaties and work on correcting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta