Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh, okay...you're the only person in this discussion who has lived in the city. My bad! Come on, you don't really thing that everyone is ignorant on the subject - except you?
Not everyone else, just you. And anyone else who think that when you choose to live in a city you forfeit your right to quality of life.

Quote:
Population IS NOT what makes a city major...talk about ignorant. By your logic, all of these cities are more important than Washington D.C. - Nashville, Louisville, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Milwaukee, El Paso, and Memphis. I know you're tired of typing your nonsense, but can you PLEASE explain to all of us how this is possible?
Important and major are two very different concepts. Of course Washington DC is more *important* than those cities. But none of them that you list are major. A city needs to have at least 1M+ (or somewhat less but a high population density) to be considered a major or " big city" in my book.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Who are you and who told you I don't live here!!!! How dare you assume such things...don't be childish.
Really? You live in one of the condo buildings a few blocks from this disaster?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:42 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Really? You live in one of the condo buildings a few blocks from this disaster?
It's none of your business where I live...but why would you assume I DON'T live in the area? I wouldn't tell anyone with your attitude where I live...sorry.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Not everyone else, just you. And anyone else who think that when you choose to live in a city you forfeit your right to quality of life.

Important and major are two very different concepts. Of course Washington DC is more *important* than those cities. But none of them that you list are major. A city needs to have at least 1M+ (or somewhat less but a high population density) to be considered a major or " big city" in my book.
I'm not responding to the first part...it's too personal and immature.

PLEASE share with us the difference between important and major!!! I really want to hear this!

If a city needs to be over 1 million residents to be considered major, then Washington D.C. still isn't a major city. How ridiculous.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
And guess how many of these so called comparable cities have a subway system. Almost none.

San Diego has 372 miles in its city limits, much greater then Atlanta. I would bet the same goes for most high up on the list.
Good points. There is obviously no way to have a coherent discussion with this person. He doesn't even make sense...I thought at first it would be possible to debate the issue, but he keeps arguing his lame ideas that aren't EVEN up for debate.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
It's none of your business where I live...but why would you assume I DON'T live in the area? I wouldn't tell anyone with your attitude where I live...sorry.
Because I cannot fathom anyone who lives in the immediate vicinity would think it is a good idea.

Quote:
PLEASE share with us the difference between important and major!!! I really want to hear this!
Important means that it has a lot of value. Madison, WI is an important city. There are a lot more important cities than major cities. A major city is a "big city". With a lot of population and a strong population density. A city in the classic sense. Really I would say that there are only a few major cities in the US: New York, LA, Chicago, maybe SF and Boston because of their high population density but that's it. You could also maybe make a case for Philly I suppose.

Atlanta is certainly an important city, but it is only important because of the suburbs.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:31 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
Ok everyone, yes this club may be a nusiance for a while, but I have the feeling when the guy who owns this block gets a development deal he likes the club will go away. I have been watching this block for a while, and I am not impressed with the way it has been managed- maybe some developer will come along and buy this prime spot. The club will have to behave because the Lowes hotel will be next door, and the safety of hotel customers will come 1st before the club.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM

117 posts, read 254,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. Many Atlantans need to get out of a certain mindset if they want intown Atlanta to be a true urban landscape.

I agree thats whats holding the city/state back the locals.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 PM

46 posts, read 204,689 times
Maybe they can find a way to have the nightlife there but without as much noise--better soundproofing? I remember parking being very hard to get on nights when Visions was popular. The lots near Joe's on Juniper changed from a few dollars to $20.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
I agree thats whats holding the city/state back the locals.
We're not asking to bulldoze E. Atlanta so OTP people can get to the airport quicker here. The people who live in Midtown wholeheartedly believe in an urban Atlanta as the future. A mega club w/ minimal parking on a main through street surrounded by 2,000+ homes within 3-4 blocks isn't necessary for a vibrant and successful city. I could have bought a 5bdr home in the 'burbs for less than what my condo costs. I could have also bought a new Lexus to sit in traffic in with the fees and taxes I get for living inside city limits. Very few of the few thousand fellow condo dwellers thought...gee there's no better way to make my condo worth more than to put a nightclub downstairs.

This place opening is a foregone conclusion but I'm sure residents are already prepping for a prolonged fight to shut the place down. The first littering, excessive noise, illegal parking or violence and the place will wind up w/ a ridiculous number of complaints, citations, and police calls that it'll be moved quickly enough.

This isn't a Marta extension to Gwinnett Place or Towne Center Mall we're talking about. It isn't demolishing the connector and building an effective transit system to the outer counties to make the city more viable. It's an oversized nightclub in an old decrepit building located too close to residents. It's of minimal benefit to the neighborhood while incurring huge costs of added security, congestion, and litter.

Ask yourself which adds more value to the city...450 new households of tax paying Atlantans who've paid over $300k for a home in the city or a $4M nightclub that drives down property value and requires extra police patrols just to deal w/ a poorly planned traffic/parking situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta