Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:25 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Back to the topic of that thug getting out on bail and attacking the woman and her baby, the monitoring service didn't notify the judge until after the attack had happened. This being some 12 hrs after he cut his ankle monitor. Seems to me the private monitoring company is going to find itself very liable for this lapse.

Everyone from the monitoring company to the bailbondsman need to be checking their liability insurance at this point. They should have been tasering him within minutes of cutting the bracelet vs. letting him have half a day head start on his next senseless crime.

I personally wouldn't be against attaching a hand grenade to the ankle monitor. Then if you cut it at least you won't get very far missing a foot.
Unfortunately, none of them will be held responsible. Those monitoring systems aren't "always on" systems that trigger an alert the minute something happens- they randomly send signals to the bracelets and look for a response, and due to the volume of units being monitored, it can be days in some cases before anyone knows there's an issue.

Years back I helped get a friend out of jail by posting bail for him, and he was on an ankle bracelet, only allowed to leave the house from 8-5 for work. He disappeared for three days, and the system never picked it up- I had to go find him and drag his ass back to jail, because I wasn't going to lose the $$ I put up for him. That was the last time I ever posted bail for anyone, and the last time I ever will.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Yup. In Chicago, that's "normal, no big deal"......what's for dinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I wonder if the OP comes from a small town/suburb or a big city. This sort of things happens in pretty much every big city on a regular basis unfortunately.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
With respect, that is populist rubbish, the indentured servitude idea was one started by the jews, in Africa prior to that it was common for people to end up as slaves to any conquering force, usually another tribe and they were not indentured, very often the white slave traders would buy slaves from black African slave traders who had already been totally used to enslaving others for hundreds if not thousands of years previously.

While I am not making any excuses for anyone involved in slave trading or keeping, it is obscene to claim that black people did not do the very same things in their own country, yes, a lot of current racism may well be because of the long term view of blacks as ex slaves, on both sides. No, it is not an excuse to be a thug just because you can blame the white man and not take any responsibility for what you are today.

Slavery has ended, there is black president and his wife is a good friend of the Queen, there has been a paradigm shift in attitude, you can either enjoy the fruits of going with it or you can wallow in your own self pity and prove the nay sayers right.

You know, my business partner of the last 4 years is a black woman, her biggest obstacle to becoming successful was black men and those same black men always told her that it was white men that would stop her succeeding, while it was actually those same black men who were trying to hold her back. Now she has made it, all they do is bad mouth her. It has become my experience that black women are prepared to work to succeed while black men most often expect it handed to them on a plate, while there are exceptions, in general it is the fortitude and intelligence of the women that shines in the black community, she has two brothers, both of which are not ever going to be the success she is because they cannot and will not put in the effort.

Where am I going with this? I'll tell you, when this board talks about Atlanta being dangerous, nine times out of ten a case of a black male thug will be cited, no one will say anything about color until someone starts making some excuse about how it is the white mans fault because he kept slaves, but the simple fact is that black women are proving that color is not the issue, laziness is, all that other guff is an excuse. A thug is a thug, there is never an excuse.
I agree with much of what you say but i just have to interject one point.I am a black male with many friends that are also successful black males (and of course black females too).However the one thing that we have in common more than our different levels of success,is that we have and realize that we will be discriminated against.It is based on history that we know this is bound to happen.Not SLAVERY.Our own collective PERSONAL HISTORIES.We know that even though it is inevitable,we realize that we must still be responsible to pick ourselves up and continue.A black man in this country has always been a threat.Especially when they are educated black men.What the danger in a self destructive black male selling or using drugs?Lets face it,I do not agree with this thought ,but a WOMAN in general still is not considered a threat in this country or the world.Again not my belief but it is the world we live in.

I also think that when people insist that all this complaining by some in the black community is about SLAVERY,it is not accurate at all.Unlike England(your origins),slavery was ended and that was it.Blacks were let in society eventually.Yet here in America,it started out that way,but after the success of blacks in government and business,there was a lot of resentment when many whites lost all what they held dear from a war that decimated their homelands.So they had midnight raids by men in hooded mask(KKK),later when that didn't work,they created laws like the "poll tax" do discourage mostly poor blacks from going to the polls,and don't forget the "lynchings".All this has led to how many blacks view as the "old bait and switch" in todays world.Many feel that eventually whatever they get,some way, whether obvious or not,things will get taken away from you eventually.

I'm not making excuses for bad behavior because it does eventually come down to "personal responsibilty".I guess i just have a problem with how some people portray it as though society has no role at all into what leads people to do the things they do.As if it is the nature of blacks to be bad.Especially one race with its history in this country.The act that we have a black male as President you would think would help but you must realize that he has had more threats against his life than any other president EVER!!George W I'm sure never had to deal with racism AND run the most powerful country in the free world.

A lot of why some people think Atlanta is so bad ,has a lot to do with the fact that Atlanta has such a high black percentage of residents.Not necessarily just crime.Never mind the fact that we are the home of one of the most educated,influential,and wealthiest blacks in the nation.

Oh and please,I'M not addressing this all at you.I'm just saying what I believe is the thought process of some people based on what I have encountered.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Unfortunately, none of them will be held responsible. Those monitoring systems aren't "always on" systems that trigger an alert the minute something happens- they randomly send signals to the bracelets and look for a response, and due to the volume of units being monitored, it can be days in some cases before anyone knows there's an issue.

Years back I helped get a friend out of jail by posting bail for him, and he was on an ankle bracelet, only allowed to leave the house from 8-5 for work. He disappeared for three days, and the system never picked it up- I had to go find him and drag his ass back to jail, because I wasn't going to lose the $$ I put up for him. That was the last time I ever posted bail for anyone, and the last time I ever will.
LOL.Been there done that too.I never will again either.Sometimes "justice " is wiser than us.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 PM

371 posts, read 1,555,494 times
My origins are not from England and I did say that there are hard working successful black men.

I agree that it is the only country that has had such things as the KKK in recent history, but my comments were leveled at the comments made about slavery and the experiences of my business partner.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
My origins are not from England and I did say that there are hard working successful black men.

I agree that it is the only country that has had such things as the KKK in recent history, but my comments were leveled at the comments made about slavery and the experiences of my business partner.
My apologies,I suppose i should have said Britain?Where are you from, if not to personal?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
My apologies,I suppose i should have said Britain?Where are you from, if not to personal?
I'm half British, half Syrian.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Cool lineage,Thanks!
Quote:
I'm half British, half Syrian.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Cool lineage,Thanks!
Most people assume I'm British but with olive skin, I was a British army officer and speak with an established though relatively neutral British accent, morally I identify with my Syrian side more in which I was taught to live and let live but always promote the true facts by the acquisition of knowledge and the application of intelligence.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Most people assume I'm British but with olive skin, I was a British army officer and speak with an established though relatively neutral British accent, morally I identify with my Syrian side more in which I was taught to live and let live but always promote the true facts by the acquisition of knowledge and the application of intelligence.
Well said.Cheers to one soldier to another!Syria is a fascinating country.Even though I do not agree with why we are in the Middle East.I feel positively enlightened that I was able to experience a culture and geography that is very different from that of the Western world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta