Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM

126 posts, read 317,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocalott1 View Post
why are y'all so upset that these "squatters" chose to exercise their rights while you were too stupid to do so it's all about contracts just because the average person is ignorant and enter into a contract with these crooked greedy banks and pay on a house that by law of the contract will never be theirs because your contracts states that you are still a tenant so wise up and mind your own business y'all act like homeless people are just supposed to vanish into thin air or something what would you do if you had no where else to go you all ought to be ashamed of yourselves you got a problem with seeing them on the streets in the park in a fast food restaurant and now you have a problem with them being in an abandoned house and getting on their feet you people disgust me
I originally thought you were being sarcastic...but then I kept reading. Are you serious? In what type of environment does one grow up where they think trespassing and property damage is acceptable? We live in america. Thats not what this country is about.

This is going to sound absolutely silly, so brace yourself: homeless people should go to homeless shelters if they want to get back on their feet. They should under no circumstances enter a property to which they do not have a right to enter.

But lets be serious here: squatters aren't trying to "get back on their feet". They are simply being lazy, which is exactly why they are homeless to begin with. Even children know that actions have consequences. You dont work, you dont get paid. You dont get paid, you dont eat or have a place to live.

And before people start getting upset, I am all for homeless people having second chances and actually "getting back on their feet". Ive volunteered at soup kitchens several times. I regularly donate to Goodwill and the Salvation Army. But if homeless people really want a second chance and to succeed, shouldnt they start that process of a second chance in the correct manner, and not by committing the same mistakes that put them there in the first place? (Thats a rhetorical question...please dont answer that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Location: Wilmington, NC for now... By summer of 2011? Cobb County?
63 posts, read 205,578 times
A house that has been foreclosed on is not abandoned. It is owned by a bank, the government, an investor. It is not just there for the taking.

Using your logic, chocalott1, anything left untended is ripe for the taking. See that BMW over there? It's been sitting there for a day. It must have been abandoned. Poor sucker left it there, it's mine now!

BS!!!! If it ain't yours and you don't have permission from the owner to be there you are trespassing. Plain and simple.

As for the "getting a leg up" excuse: if they are trying to get a leg up, hiding out all day in a house (because, see, in order to qualify as a squatter and be given the 'rights' you have to be in continuous possession, meaning you can't leave house unattended or you can be evicted and then be arrested for attempting to enter the property again) ain't gonna help!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 22,526 times
tpfilm & Akress You obviously are not aware of your rights. Like I said the banks are able to take peoples homes that they have paid on for years, because the people choose to enter into that contract, And it falls under statutory law which has to be in harmony with the Constitution, and the only way for that to happen is if you enter into that contract willingly knowingly and intentionally. Same as our right to travel freely. But a cop can pull you over and give you a ticket for doing just that if you choose to register your car and get a drivers license. License is only permission to do what is illegal but traveling is not illegal now is it? Emphasis on freely. But if you agree with that contract then you waive your constitutional rights every time. we have a right to the land if it is abandoned through adverse possession. Just like when you get registered to vote you waive your rights to bear arms which is why it is now illegal to have a gun without a license. So like I said do some research and learn your rights and exercise them just like these squatters has, cause the banks are not gonna let you know them nor is your lawyers because then you would have no need for them now would you? If you wanna go to work everyday to keep paying your hard earned money to these greedy banks (corporations) who can't occupy these properties and don't want them they just want you to continue to strive for your dream success which will never be attainable because they will find a way to rail road you everytime through contracts that look appealing to you until you sitting out on a curb wondering how you lost everything you have ever had after paying taxes on everything which by the way there is no law that says you have to pay taxes people voluntarily pay them out of fear of jail. If the IRS send you an invoice you send it back dishonoring it and they will leave you alone don't argue saying well I don'towe that much (cause they always say you owe more than you think you do just to trick you into admitting that you owe something which enters you into a contract with them then you go to court to argue how much you owe them If you send them a letter back saying you owe nothing then there is no contract and I am speaking from experience on both the taxes as well as squatters rights. So keep on doing what you been doing and you will get what you always got NOTHING! And no I wasn't homeless I just found out the information and exercised my right to a house that was opened and abandoned we fixed it up and turned into a home now the property is no longer a nuisance the yard stays tidy and we help in our community so before you start whining out of envy just know that you can do it to and if more people were doing this then they would always be able to keep their homes had mine for three years now it was a bank owned foreclosure and luckily not one that was vandalized or burned up. y'all gotta start thinking like the rich do if no one else claims it then they will with out hesitation and as far as cars go if a vehicle is abandoned on a highway for a long period of time if you pay to get it towed then legally it's yours and you can obtain the title so don't leave your BMW there because you can lose that to a squatter too lmao. So before you start hating Do some research and learn something. Even ohio Congress woman Marcy Kaptur said squat in your homes. And she is the longest serving congresswoman so I think she knows what she is talking about you obviously have the right Do you think the rich are actually paying for their homes? Guess again they are not!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
Yes, there is absolutely squatters rights in GA. We live in an aflluent neighborhood but that didn't stop a family of 6 low life scuzzy butts (trying to be nice here...) from squatting in a house.
I agree completely. A family of 6 who are homeless, poor, and have no where to go should go where they belong - the streets. Either that or we should just start shoveling them in the dumpster. You did the right thing by calling the cops. I would have done the same thing. How dare a destitute family try to avoid the elements by going into one of the thousands of vacant homes that the bank owns.

Oh, and you must not be the one making the bread to live in such an "aflluent" neighborhood, because you can even spell the word affluent correctly.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Real Estate Questions and Answers

Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM

@ chocalott1:

Until you possess that sweet house of yours for 20 years (continuously, without any interruptions, and without someone who owns it telling you to get off), its not your house. Its all in the law. Sure, you can evade work and taxes and all that unnecessary garbage (sarcasm), but that just makes you a nuisance to society (to put it as politely as I can). Thanks for contributing to the society in which you live.

Instead of just quoting laws and typing massive incoherent paragraphs, educate yourself on the purpose of the laws in which refer. Adverse possession is based on the idea that land should not die idle. I get that. What homeless people, drug dealers, crack smokers, and people who try to avoid work are doing is NOT the intent of adverse possession. I'm sure you've justified your actions to yourself, and you probably sleep better because of it, but you aren't fooling anyone here.

And what is your deal with greedy banks? Get a fixed rate mortgage, work (instead of being an unemployed nuisance to society), pay your mortgage every month, and you will be fine. I know this sounds like a hassle, all this working and paying for property and stuff, but thats the way decent people go about living their lives. And if you hate mortgages that much, save up some money, buy a house with cash, fix it up, pay taxes, etc. And don't tell me its not possible. Sure, its not as easy as walking into a house you don't own, but at least its honest.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 AM

Thanks LovinDecatur. Hopefully that sheds some light on this mysterious adverse possession.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,132 times
I feel that if an owner is negligent and does not take care of his property then he/she should be grateful that someone is living in the property and not allowing it to be eaten by the vines-that I have seen so many homes succumb to or worse yet fall to the ground from not being maintained. I would be more willing to allow an individual to have adequate shelter than to be so greedy as to allow an unoccupied dwelling to go to waste. What happen to helping one another? There are so many homes and apartment buildings that houses no one and still the homeless rate rises. I feel this would be a way to conquer two defeats--ONE allow those who sleep whereever they can to enjoy the comfort of a place to live o matter how temporary and then. TWO make arrangements to fix, clean, maintain and manicure the property and then this will allow both parties to obtain something out of the deal. The owner has comfort that his property will be sold from the consistent manicuring and the staging and that homeless person knows the feel of having a place to lay their heads without worry!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:52 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Frightening that there are people out there that have no problem with pi**ing on the Rule of Law.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 PM

281 posts, read 617,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina1167 View Post
I feel that if an owner is negligent and does not take care of his property then he/she should be grateful that someone is living in the property and not allowing it to be eaten by the vines-that I have seen so many homes succumb to or worse yet fall to the ground from not being maintained. I would be more willing to allow an individual to have adequate shelter than to be so greedy as to allow an unoccupied dwelling to go to waste. What happen to helping one another? There are so many homes and apartment buildings that houses no one and still the homeless rate rises. I feel this would be a way to conquer two defeats--ONE allow those who sleep whereever they can to enjoy the comfort of a place to live o matter how temporary and then. TWO make arrangements to fix, clean, maintain and manicure the property and then this will allow both parties to obtain something out of the deal. The owner has comfort that his property will be sold from the consistent manicuring and the staging and that homeless person knows the feel of having a place to lay their heads without worry!
Sounds like an idea for a new HGTV show. You could call it "Squatter Makeover". I think most prospective buyers would be turned off by a pile of human filth in the living room though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta