Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:39 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify adverse posession does not apply to squatting (or breaking and entering, or vandalism etc)

It applies in cases such as my friend gives me his house and i am there for x years (check state law). Then something happens, he dies. his family, without a will but with a title or something like that then comes and wants to evict me. Well i get to contest it.

But i do not get to contest crap by walking into a random property, living there for xyz time and claiming it as mine because i've been there for xyz time

That should clear things up even more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:15 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akress View Post
@ chocalott1:

Until you possess that sweet house of yours for 20 years (continuously, without any interruptions, and without someone who owns it telling you to get off), its not your house. Its all in the law. Sure, you can evade work and taxes and all that unnecessary garbage (sarcasm), but that just makes you a nuisance to society (to put it as politely as I can). Thanks for contributing to the society in which you live.

Instead of just quoting laws and typing massive incoherent paragraphs, educate yourself on the purpose of the laws in which refer. Adverse possession is based on the idea that land should not die idle. I get that. What homeless people, drug dealers, crack smokers, and people who try to avoid work are doing is NOT the intent of adverse possession. I'm sure you've justified your actions to yourself, and you probably sleep better because of it, but you aren't fooling anyone here.

And what is your deal with greedy banks? Get a fixed rate mortgage, work (instead of being an unemployed nuisance to society), pay your mortgage every month, and you will be fine. I know this sounds like a hassle, all this working and paying for property and stuff, but thats the way decent people go about living their lives. And if you hate mortgages that much, save up some money, buy a house with cash, fix it up, pay taxes, etc. And don't tell me its not possible. Sure, its not as easy as walking into a house you don't own, but at least its honest.

Thank you!! Well said. This chocallot1 character is a con artist. I hope somone unleashes their pitbull or rottweiler on that chocalott1 tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Sounds like an idea for a new HGTV show. You could call it "Squatter Makeover". I think most prospective buyers would be turned off by a pile of human filth in the living room though.
LOL....

Or we should have a show on TruTV where they get squatters out....

Operation Evict "Squatters"

Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,326 times
If the job issues aren't resolved. Squattering may become the norm. God please help us all. I would hate to put a family out with childern. No food. I saw a lady about eight month along with child. And small kids squattering!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:45 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
if you are the owner resident you can just shoot them if returning from a vacation or whatever as they are felony breaking and entering if they offer ANY resistance (up from simple tresspass)
Bwahaha. Yes, please do this. I would love to see your explanation to a judge as to how you felt your life was in danger to point of using deadly force against a person simply for not leaving when you asked them to. You clearly have an excellent grasp on the law, so representing yourself should be no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Just to clarify adverse posession does not apply to squatting (or breaking and entering, or vandalism etc)

It applies in cases such as my friend gives me his house and i am there for x years (check state law). Then something happens, he dies. his family, without a will but with a title or something like that then comes and wants to evict me. Well i get to contest it.

But i do not get to contest crap by walking into a random property, living there for xyz time and claiming it as mine because i've been there for xyz time
Just to clarify, you're simply wrong.

Quote:
The concept of squatters' rights has been in practice even before state law addressed the issue. Throughout modern history, persons who occupy property that has been left unattended and neglected generally have legal possession of the property.

According to Georgia state code 44-5161, property neglected and not occupied by the owner for seven years or more can become the property of the occupant (squatter).
Despite what you seem to believe, squatter's rights literally are, as you put it, "walking into a random property, living there for xyz time and claiming it as mine because i've been there for xyz time." (also, time would be only one value, how is it represented by x and y and z?)

Last edited by Febtober; 03-27-2011 at 10:59 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM

48 posts, read 145,993 times
$300,000 Model Home Squatters caught in Atlanta...

I-Team: Model Home Squatters (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/i-team-model-home-squatters-022811 - broken link)

Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM

449 posts, read 1,176,047 times
That's just trifling and ghetto as hell

I'm glad I didn't have any squatters when my proprty was vacated.

Mine was broken into, but I'm glad I never had bum homeless folks occupy the place.

The sad thing is that the squatters in the video had a Charger with rims on it and two of the other squatters had cars.

They were even sending their kids to school there

Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 AM

88 posts, read 140,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan83 View Post
$300,000 Model Home Squatters caught in Atlanta...

I-Team: Model Home Squatters (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/i-team-model-home-squatters-022811 - broken link)
OMG this is so funny!!! Only in Atlanta would you find this. Welcome to the future of SUBURBIA!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQQST View Post
OMG this is so funny!!! Only in Atlanta would you find this. Welcome to the future of SUBURBIA!!!
Hmmm...yes....because that's just happening all over suburbia......

Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
That's just trifling and ghetto as hell

I'm glad I didn't have any squatters when my proprty was vacated.

Mine was broken into, but I'm glad I never had bum homeless folks occupy the place.

The sad thing is that the squatters in the video had a Charger with rims on it and two of the other squatters had cars.

They were even sending their kids to school there

LOL...I thought the same. Low lives!!

I saw the car with the wheels.....Shaking my head in disbelief....Laughing. It's sad, but makes you laugh. . They won't pay rent, but will buy (?) a Charger and put some chrome 22" wheels on it. That's beyond ghetto...

I feel for the neighbors. Unleash the dogs on them!!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
^The Charger could be tertiary financed for 120/mon at 19% and the wheels on a defaulted lease to own from Rimco. Repo man is probably out looking for the car but I'm guessing they're the type to never register the car. People that don't have respect for property rights tend not to pay for anything. One can only hope they get arrested and carted off before they do further damage.

I'd venture the kids are in school just to avoid DFACS showing up at their door. Somehow I don't think they understand the value of a good education.

As for the chocalott1 character, I'm guessing he or she is a sovereign citizen type. I happened upon one of their Youtube videos and it was completely nonsensical pseudo-religious BS they attempt to justify their theft of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta