Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,110,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Yeah, y'know the funny thing is T.I. disses Jermaine Dupri in the song i mentioned "In Da A" because he says he doesn't rep Atlanta well in "Welcome To Atlanta"...

14. In Decatur - Ghetto Mafia
15. So Decatur - I-20
16. No Mo' Play in GA - Pastor Troy (although he's really from Macon)
17. Atlanta - Pastor Troy
18. Atlanta, Georgia - Gorilla Zoe
19. Elevators - Outkast
20. A-Town Hatz - Disturbing the Peace
21. Player's Ball - Outkast
22. Bankhead - T.I.
23. Vacation - Young Jeezy
24. Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight (Not quite Atlanta, but why not?)
25. Georgia On my Mind - Ray Charles (Not quite Atlanta, but why not?)
26. Claremont Lounge - Purple Ribbon All Stars
27. Cre-a-tine - Cool Breeze

There's more, but I'll leave it at that for now...
I think you meant Pastor Troy is originally from Augusta... DSBG orginated in a area called Old Savannah(OS).. Young Jeezy is from the Macon area...

No Mo Play in GA was definitely a classic... Several white kids like myself was bumping the song daily...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
-I'm not using ghetto as a slur. I am using it as an adjective to describe a sub-culture. The ghetto culture is embodied in almost every one of those songs -- drug use, objectification of women, describing males as "n***as", describing women as "hoes", glorification/praise of a thug/criminal lifestyle (I love the part in 85 where he steals money from his "hoe's" purse for some gas)... etc. I could go on, but they would be all negative, and they are all being associated with my city. I have a right to be annoyed and disgusted.
Well, maybe that's just the way urban culture is expressed in Atlanta. Every city has its unique style, and to many these songs may represent youthful energy, self-identification, aspirations or even love. Surely they are as valid as the depressing grunge music of the 90s or the spiky-haired nihilism of the punk rockers.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 PM

40 posts, read 199,740 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNe_gFyPQEA

ceelo green - georgia

actually decent music

Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 AM

128 posts, read 215,348 times
Quote:
-I'm not using ghetto as a slur. I am using it as an adjective to describe a sub-culture. The ghetto culture is embodied in almost every one of those songs -- drug use, objectification of women, describing males as "n***as", describing women as "hoes", glorification/praise of a thug/criminal lifestyle (I love the part in 85 where he steals money from his "hoe's" purse for some gas)... etc. I could go on, but they would be all negative, and they are all being associated with my city. I have a right to be annoyed and disgusted.

-Although I wouldn't listen to these songs by choice, it's only because I have outgrown rap. I am not offended by the lyrics. What I dislike is the associations the songs make between ghetto culture and Atlanta.

-Yes, many country music songs have lyrics that are redneck. Why is that even relevant? We're not talking about country music.

-I don't understand what you're trying to say about copy and pasting lyrics. Uh, no sh*t I didn't perform the song. So what?

-Of course I watch R-rated movies. But again, you need to connect the dots before throwing out baseless comparisons. I would have the same reaction if every sleazy R-rated movie had a plot based in Atlanta.

-So what if the BET and Soul Train awards are in Atlanta? Those arent "ghetto." Think more Kanye, less Ludacris. More Akon, less T.I. There is a difference. There has been less and less Atlanta name-dropping in the gangster rap genre.

Bottom Line: Based on your posts, you seem to have an inferiority complex and see an attack on ghetto rap songs as an attack on black culture as a whole. If you were confident and at least somewhat educated (I'm taking a completely wild guess on that one...), you would admit that the songs are ghetto, represent only one sub-culture of black culture as a whole, and associate negative attributes with the city.

Well, I dont think that anyone would disagree that the aforementioned rap songs embody the "ghetto" that you so speak of, but who cares? To be honest, these songs had the effect of putting Atl on the map and more or less spurring the population increase that Atl saw during the former part of the early 21st century.

As much as you, Cobain, and some of your euro-centric affiliates (that ran like chickens to the far flung suburban enclaves that "claim" Atlanta as their anchor), might have a disdain for black oriented music in Atl, you have to admit.....most of these artists that you would label as ghetto probably have a MUCH better financial portfolio and economic outlook than yourself...even if theyre in and out of jail (hey at least they have the funds to deal with their legal calamities). These same rap artists have contributed greatly to the image of Atlanta as an entertainment mecca for the south, when this city after segregation could have easily wound up looking like Detroit. What have you contributed to Atlanta, besides traffic and rhetoric that is borderline nazi/racist? Hmmmm?

Soooooo................. with that said....

I dont have any particular favorite Atl song, but since Im involved in the music industry I hear it all and honestly I think NO one can do it like the Atl rap artists from the 90s. 85 is a favorite of mine!

Oh, btw Cobain, the reason you may not hear much from Outkast may be the fact that the duo is one of a FEW diamond selling artists in urban music and prolly doesnt need to do anything else to be financially well off for as long as they live. Thats right Cobain.....diamond.

Oh...and please....lets NOT bring back Cobain from the dead. His music aint too bad kinda nice actually but lets let the grateful dead rest in peace. Thnx!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 AM

128 posts, read 215,348 times
OHHHHH I forgot Field Mob -Georgia, Georgia by Ray Charles, and of course midnight train to GA buy Gladys!

Not to familiar with any country songs or alternative mentioning Atl. If any of you readers know of some, please post Id love to hear em.

Does the that corny rock song the FOX5 uses in their promo ads count? Call me a geek but I get a real kick outta that song....

"FOX FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE..........

FO-OX FIIIII-IIIIIVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE

.....FOX Five......................(swoosh)

At....laaaa...annnt....ta............."

Gotta love FOX5!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 AM

396 posts, read 601,818 times

Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,851,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I think you meant Pastor Troy is originally from Augusta... DSBG orginated in a area called Old Savannah(OS).. Young Jeezy is from the Macon area...
Y'know, you're right... I did mean that Jeezy was from Macon and Pastor Troy was from Augusta. Looks like it took almost a year and a half for somebody to catch that... Duly noted.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,851,603 times
Quote:
Those are some pretty ghetto lists...
The thread also includes:

1. The Allman Brothers
2. Bad Company
3. ARS
4. Little Feat
5. John Mayer
6. Gladys Knight
7. Ray Charles
8. Cee-lo Green
9. Bond
10. Frank Sinatra
11. and even Atlantagreg30127's old school Atlanta jingle...

Rather than criticize, feel free to add your favorite non-"urban/ghetto" songs about Atlanta to the list...

P.S. I'm just curious... Before you "outgrew" rap, who were some (hip-hop/rap) artists that you listened to and what were some of their songs that you enjoyed?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:22 AM

349 posts, read 781,746 times
Not a big fan of any type of music that is electronically generated. Music should be created by instruments not by clicking a mouse or pushing a button. That's just my personal philosophy being a guitarist and bassist. Unfortunately that crosses out most urban and pop music for me. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes do a sped up punk cover of East Bound and Down and Goodbye Earl which I believe are country songs that mention Atlanta. That's about all I can think of. Most references I hear in music, if any at all, are directed towards California, Chicago, NYC and NJ.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Don't forget Barbi Benton's immortal "Brass Buckles." It totally killed on the country charts.

Atlanta Underground
Can get a young girl down
But she just had to make
Her dreams come true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta