Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 12,302 times

Advertisements

Try the Conyers area, it's 34 miles due east of Atlanta, great housing prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 17,923 times
Default Mid 20s, not sure where to go!

Hi there!

Like everyone else posting to this forum, I'm looking to move to Georgia shortly (by August). I'm thinking of eventually attending graduate school at UGA or GSU (a few years down the road). I have family that lives in the Buford area, but I'm looking to live closer to the city. So to answer some of your questions:

I'm looking for anything in housing. Apartment/House/Condo/Townhome... pretty much anything that will have a decent layout for roommate style living.

I don't plan to work from home, so I will be commuting. I have a car but it is important for me to be near public transportation (potential roommate does not have a car and will be relying on public transportation).

I have no preference between suburban/urban living, as long as I'm in a fairly safe area.

I'm 25, so being near some nightlife (not necessarily next door, but within a 10 or 15 minute drive) would be nice, but it's not necessary.

I'm also curious what heat/electric/water bills are like out there. I'm looking for some kind of ballpark price to figure out what I can afford.

As of now, I don't have a job lined up, but I'm hoping to find one ASAP (giving myself 3-4 months to hopefully find something!). Until then, I'll be staying with family.

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 AM

18 posts, read 59,210 times
I am thinking about moving to Atlanta but have moved several times and I would prefer for my next move to be permanent and I want to go back to college and settle down and see if I can stay in one spot for more than a year. I would like to find an apartment between 500 and 800 a month. I will be transferring with my job from Phoenix, AZ. I've lived in Memphis and if Atlanta is anywhere near as bad as that please tell me now. Haha. Hmm what else. I will have a vehicle, not much into public transit so not a big deal. I dont want to live right near the city. Not much of a party girl and my schedule is kinda crazy. I did move to Memphis for the music though, and was totally bummed about what I got instead so tell me how the music scene is there. I'm not looking to be in the industry or anything but want to be able to see a good show here and there. Its pretty much I'm moving to Atlanta or Kansas City so checking out the different forums here to gain insight to what you guys experience every day. What is the general attitude of the city? Does the Georgia State University have a good reputation? I'm just starting to research the school now but if any students happen to come on here I'd like to hear about it. I suppose thats enough for now.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,944 times
Wasian785, first see what school you will be attending, if UGA, I would stay in the Athens area, you can still come down to the city on the weekends. As far as areas that are near but not in the thick of the action, try the Perimeter area. zips 30328,30346 tons of apts. in these areas. Also Vinings 30339.

Imfp2006, I would suggest the same areas, also since you don't mind living in the city check out the alpharetta area 30022, traffic wouldn't be the greatest depending on the time of day but prices near the top end of your budget would suit you better out there.

Also for others that have posted or thinking of posting in this thread I would suggest starting a new thread with the answers given to questions by myself and other members, b/c it seems people are getting more responses other than from just myself when they start their own thread about moving, instead of posting here. This may give you and others more exposure, as sometimes members don't pay as much attention to stickys after seeing them over and over.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM

18 posts, read 59,210 times
hmm yes i will try posting my own thread. thank you

Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 PM

12 posts, read 30,572 times
Hello, We will be moving to Georgia in July from Houston. We have no clue as to where to live!! We have never visited nor know anyone who lives here. Our budget will be about 400k and of course anything less would be fine. We are interested in a home with plenty of yard. We have 3 children all school aged and they will be in the public school system, so of course only the best! Hubby will work from home, but will need to be at the airport maybe twice a week. Oh and are there other airports other than the Atlanta International? I ask this question because I couldn't find any information about it or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough?? Here in Houston, we have Houston Hobby and Bush Intercontinental. Anyhow, as to lifestyle preferences we have none. We have lived in town and in the burbs. We have enjoyed both areas! We also would love to be close too shopping, restaurants, etc. Thank you in advance!

MCast

Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 33,390 times
HELLO,

I'm allowing my son to go down to Decatur Ga, with a friend and thier family to finsh the school year, my son and his friend plays high school football, any good high school football teams, thier coming from Ohio.. HOF Canton/Akron area

Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 12,041 times
Default Before dealing with NACA, do the research

I was curious to know who/what NACA program is, so I found their website and was curious about the "hard sell". Then I googled "naca program complaint" and found many complaints, all saying the same things: naca is either incompetent or a scam. So check it out before jumping in.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 12,127 times
Hi! My name is Heather and right now my family and I live in Gainesville, GA but I would like to move closer to Atlanta. We recently moved to Gainesville about a year ago from San Antonio TX and I miss living in a bigger city. Problem is I'm not very familiar with Atlanta and I don't know what areas is safe to live in and is gay friendly. If you could help me out it would be great =]

If you need anymore information please let me know.

1. Budget
$115,000 is the highest I can go for a Home
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
Single Family Home (I love older construction instead of the newer homes)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
We all work from home
4. Children(public school vs. private)
no kids
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Either or. Just as Long as its Gay Friendly
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
No
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
Gay Friendly

Thanks!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,944 times
Heatherann2888, So I'm sensing that you want an area that is gay friendly right? Just a wild guess.. There are gay people in every corner of the metro area, but mostly concentrated in intown neighborhoods most notably the midtown section of Atlanta-that's where you would find more gay friendly bars clubs etc. The budget is probably the biggest issue, but surprisingly enough searching on any FMLS real estate site I found a few, and I mean a few single family homes (old fixer uppers) that are in the price range. Of course you could find better fixer uppers out in the burbs, but obviously it's your decision. Check out the 30309,30306,30307,30330 first to see if you find much in those areas. Use this site to help with area mapping and zips. Click for a Zip Code Boundary Map. and then of course any real estate site like realtor.com or georgiamls.com. If you're not getting enough responses, I would suggest starting a new thread with the answers given to questions by myself and other members, b/c it seems people are getting more responses other than from just myself when they start their own thread about moving, instead of posting here. This may give you and others more exposure, as sometimes members don't pay as much attention to stickys after seeing them over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta