Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I understand, but many young and affluent people don't mind driving at all. Whiles there's been a resurgence in the popularity of urban living, the suburbs are still where the vast majority of the action is in terms of housing.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, it's just the way Atlanta (and many other cities) work.
Yea and it seems to me the cities that attract the most young and upwardly mobile are New York, DC, Chicago, LA, and Boston; in other words the most urban cities in America for the most part.

Suburbs are where a lot of action is, true, but the cities are and always will be where the hotbeds of commerce and real dollars are. There is no way the average net worth of a resident in Sandy Springs is higher than the average net worth of a resident in 30305 or 30327 (Buckhead zips) or even Brookhaven for that matter. All the truly wealthy wealthy neighborhoods are in older sections of cities. Also, while city living is expensive, many young people who have landed good jobs and can afford it would prefer to live in an urban environment, most likely convenient to where their higher paying job is and convenient to nightspots.

I agree, though, that due to COL, lack of space, and other circumstances suburbs will continue to reign in the near future (unfortunately imo).

Saying Sandy Springs is wealthier than a Buckhead is like saying Plano/Frisco is wealthier than Highland Park or Old Preston Hollow in Dallas. (I use a Dallas example because everyone here seems to know Dallas pretty well and it seems Dallas people frequent our board more than their own ) On paper it might seem wealthier, but anyone who knows anything about the neighborhoods knows that the paper is missing the bigger picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:33 PM

72 posts, read 151,734 times
A lot of people seem to be forgetting that Buckhead is a neighborhood and not a city, which is a criteria for which the statistics are based off of.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times
I never understand this either...When I think of Sandy Springs I think of apts along Roswell Rd. and a bunch of old-a$$ neighborhoods from the 60s/70s, sprinkled in with some super upscale areas...Even for the ATL metro area cannot believe Sandy Springs would be in the top 5 for affluence???

Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
When I think of Sandy Springs I think of apts along Roswell Rd. and a bunch of old-a$$ neighborhoods from the 60s/70s, sprinkled in with some super upscale areas
I think they mean the mansions off Mt Paran that are in Sandy Springs.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Sandy Springs has a lot of "old money." Many of its large houses were built over 30-40 years ago or so. Earlier than that, much of the "old money" people had lived in Buckhead, and they still do to a degree.

Unfortunately when I think of modern Sandy Springs sometimes, yes, I think of the run-down aging apartments and condos on and near Roswell road.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Anyone that doubts the affluence of Sandy Springs just needs to take a spin down Long Island Rd. and the streets that branch off of it behind the Fountain Oaks Kroger. If you've never seen this area, prepare to be astounded.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,571 times
If you take a look on Zillow using the Sat maps, there are a lot of hidden estates off of Roswell Road as well. You cannot see most of them on the road. Look for Wildercliff neighborhood in Sandy Springs, Bernie Marcus lives there. Follow Dalrymple as it changes into Riverside and through to Long Island, and you'll see for yourself.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
If you take a look on Zillow using the Sat maps, there are a lot of hidden estates off of Roswell Road as well. You cannot see most of them on the road. Look for Wildercliff neighborhood in Sandy Springs, Bernie Marcus lives there. Follow Dalrymple as it changes into Riverside and through to Long Island, and you'll see for yourself.
The bottom line is that while SS is full of beautiful neighborhoods, driving up Roswell Rd does not give one the best impression.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,571 times
Until you take a left turn onto Dalrymple Rd NE and then it just gets better. The gates along that road and the houses with 1000ft+ set backs are what captures the old money that lives on that stretch of road.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:01 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times
I guess these rich people in Sandy Springs don't shop at Bloomingdales??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta