Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 13,360 times

Advertisements

Tonygeorgia, the OP said he is wanting to move to the Reston area. DC and Reston are as different as night and day...so while you keep referencing all of these HIV stats, it really isn't even relevant to the discussion.
OP, I live in the NoVA area and have for the past 8 years. I, too, was facing a decision as whether or not to stay in DC or move to the Atlanta area. I've chosen to stay here, because I haven't been able get ANY interest in my resume in Atlanta, and yet employers knock my door down here in the DC area whenever I put my resume on Monster. The job market is MUCH stronger in DC, imo. That being said, the cost of living SHOULD concern you here...it is HIGH, but being in IT, you'll probably do ok for yourself. I can't speak for Atlanta, but people in the DC/NoVA are ARE unfriendly and "entitled". It is hands-down the most unfriendly place I have ever lived...and it is very difficult to meet people worth knowing here (and I am a social person). There are a lot of fake people (physically and otherwise), and almost everyone tries to be a showboat. I sometimes feel like I am living in Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamiss View Post
Tonygeorgia, the OP said he is wanting to move to the Reston area. DC and Reston are as different as night and day...so while you keep referencing all of these HIV stats, it really isn't even relevant to the discussion.
OP, I live in the NoVA area and have for the past 8 years. I, too, was facing a decision as whether or not to stay in DC or move to the Atlanta area. I've chosen to stay here, because I haven't been able get ANY interest in my resume in Atlanta, and yet employers knock my door down here in the DC area whenever I put my resume on Monster. The job market is MUCH stronger in DC, imo. That being said, the cost of living SHOULD concern you here...it is HIGH, but being in IT, you'll probably do ok for yourself. I can't speak for Atlanta, but people in the DC/NoVA are ARE unfriendly and "entitled". It is hands-down the most unfriendly place I have ever lived...and it is very difficult to meet people worth knowing here (and I am a social person). There are a lot of fake people (physically and otherwise), and almost everyone tries to be a showboat. I sometimes feel like I am living in Orange County.
As a former resident of Fairfax County, I agree completely with your assessment. As far as the employment picture goes there, I suppose the out-of-control growth in the government sector does have its' advantages for some.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:05 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamiss View Post
Those HIV stats spill over into PG and Norva but to change topics DC is a good place to live for a few years to build up your resume but it is a good place to live long term IMO

Old 04-12-2010, 02:14 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,700,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Dont forget the other side of DC...

DC HIV/AIDS Rate Higher Than West Africa
D.C. HIV/AIDS Rate Higher Than West Africa : NPR

DC has Lowest Marriage rate in Nation
D.C. Has Lowest Marriage Rate In Nation, Largest Percentage of Same-Sex Couples - The Sexist - Washington City Paper

DC Rated Number 1 in U.S. for STDs
DC Rated Number 1 in U.S. for STDs (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/health/dc-rated-number-1-for-stds-111809 - broken link)

Metro ($5 a pay to park)
Metro - Rail

$5 to park
$5 to work/$5 from work
$15 a day to ride the train

Atlanta is more diverse if you add the hispanics and asians living on Buford Hwy, Gwinnett, and the Sandy Springs area
If you are trying to add the large Korean population out in Gwinnett, just FYI the DC area has a much larger Korean population then Atlanta. Same with hispanics when counting the metropolitan area.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,700,683 times
Quote:
Those HIV stats spill over into PG and Norva but to change topics DC is a good place to live for a few years to build up your resume but it is a good place to live long term IMO
wow, you are really scared of the whole HIV rate thing huh? Just FYI according to the CDC Georgia is a top 10 state in this category and you know that can easily spill over into the Atlanta region. I guess it's time to consider a move?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:38 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Wow. This thread really grew while I was away. As the OP, allow me to clarify a few points.

1. I agree that moving somewhere without a job lined up is a bad idea. However, I may not have a choice as my job will be ending soon. I've also been saving up a lot of money in anticipation of this move. Sure, I'd rather not have to eat into my savings. In Atlanta, my savings would last longer. But what's also true is that my odds of finding a job are lower compared to DC. If I don't find a job within a year in DC (or anywhere else for that matter), I'll know it's the wrong city for me. But the thing that terrifies me the most, more than the prospect of bad traffic, lousy weather, or unfriendly people is being unemployed and desperate to find work. I know that jobs are hard to come by no matter where you live. I just want to maximize my chances of finding one. I also don't want to be in a position where I'm forced to take a job because there's nothing better around.

2. In terms of a night life, I'm not a 20something guy looking to hit all the cool bars and clubs. Cultural amenities like museums, galleries, etc. are more my thing. DC feels very cosmopolitan, which I like.

3. Although I don't know exactly how much I'll make in DC, I know that IT pays well there, at least as well as what I make in Chicago. I just hope it's enough to make up for the higher housing costs. But as someone pointed out earlier, cities are expensive because that's where everyone wants to be.

4. As for housing costs, I realize it's expensive. But I'm used to paying $1300 a month. So assuming my salary goes up, I don't think the rents will be too far out of my reach, depending on what part of DC I choose to live in. Since I'm not a 20something who needs to run with the cool crowd, I don't need to live in the hippest part of the city. At the same time, I don't want to live in the far, far suburbs where it's nothing but families.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Quote:
Dont forget the other side of DC...

DC HIV/AIDS Rate Higher Than West Africa
D.C. HIV/AIDS Rate Higher Than West Africa : NPR

DC has Lowest Marriage rate in Nation
D.C. Has Lowest Marriage Rate In Nation, Largest Percentage of Same-Sex Couples - The Sexist - Washington City Paper

DC Rated Number 1 in U.S. for STDs
DC Rated Number 1 in U.S. for STDs (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/health/dc-rated-number-1-for-stds-111809 - broken link)

Metro ($5 a pay to park)
Metro - Rail

$5 to park
$5 to work/$5 from work
$15 a day to ride the train

Atlanta is more diverse if you add the hispanics and asians living on Buford Hwy, Gwinnett, and the Sandy Springs area
What about "Hotlanta"? You done bashed DC extremely. What about Atlanta?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
What about "Hotlanta"? You done bashed DC extremely. What about Atlanta?
Atlanta has already been bash look throught the thread but it's no better

Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
isn't that what urban suburbs are for?
Whether this gets me in trouble or not I don't know, but calling a city an "urban suburb" is just plain ignorant, elistist, and petty. Whether you like it or not, Atlanta is a major urban city and there is just no way to argue that. It may not be the type of city you like, but what you like isn't of importance to anyone but yourself.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM

324 posts, read 659,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
isn't that what urban suburbs are for?
I dont mind Driving my audi where I need to go. I hate waiting on trains I live right by my job so there is no need for me to catch a train. I hate outdoor shopping because when its too cold or rainy or too hot I cant escape the weather, so I prefer malls. i grew up in Miami so I really dont care about culture is a bit over rated too me. If I wanted to get higher education There are great Colleges right in the city. Im fine with the southern lifestyle. I dont have to have that hustle and bustle lifestyle or urban lifestyle to survive be happy and content. As long as I can live confortable im fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta