Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Whether this gets me in trouble or not I don't know, but calling a city an "urban suburb" is just plain ignorant, elistist, and petty. Whether you like it or not, Atlanta is a major urban city and there is just no way to argue that. It may not be the type of city you like, but what you like isn't of importance to anyone but yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
I dont mind Driving my audi where I need to go. I hate waiting on trains I live right by my job so there is no need for me to catch a train. I hate outdoor shopping because when its too cold or rainy or too hot I cant escape the weather, so I prefer malls. i grew up in Miami so I really dont care about culture is a bit over rated too me. If I wanted to get higher education There are great Colleges right in the city. Im fine with the southern lifestyle. I dont have to have that hustle and bustle lifestyle or urban lifestyle to survive be happy and content. As long as I can live confortable im fine.
no offense waronxmas and Blkspice23, but from my perspective and from what I've learned to know as city vs suburb, what Blkspice23 just describe in the previous post sounds like alot of urban suburbs I know ex: Tysons Corner, Bethesda, .or more like "secondary cities" like Bellevue or Evanston....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
no offense waronxmas and Blkspice23, but from my perspective and from what I've learned to know as city vs suburb, what Blkspice23 just describe in the previous post sounds like alot of urban suburbs I know ex: Tysons Corner, Bethesda, .or more like "secondary cities" like Bellevue or Evanston....
Or like Dunwoody, Decatur, Marietta, or Vinings.

But it's not like that in Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead along Peachtree St to Brookhaven, L5P, Cabbagetown, East Atlanta, Castleberry Hill, West End, Metropolitan, VaHi, Poncey-Hi, Boulevard, etc. Trying to act like they are surburban because you can perhaps by a house with a yard in one of those neighborhoods (gasp!) is just ignorant.

Atlanta is a urban city, it just isn't like Manhattan. I have no idea why you have a hard time understanding this.

Do you think people aren't aware of what other cities are like?

Last edited by waronxmas; 04-12-2010 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
For someone who hated it here and couldn't wait to get out, your posts here and in various other threads that repeatedly mention Atlanta suggest to me that San Francisco must be pretty boring.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Or like Dunwoody, Decatur, Marietta, or Vinings.

But it's not like Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead along Peachtree St to Brookhaven, L5P, East Atlanta, Castleberry Hill, West End, Metropolitan, VaHi, Poncey-Hi, Boulevard, etc.
if you backtrack in this thread I never really said Atlanta is an urban suburb you just assumed, I was just saying what Blkspice23 was describing sounds like an urban suburb =)

Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
For someone who hated it here and couldn't wait to get out, your posts here and in various other threads that repeatedly mention Atlanta suggest to me that San Francisco must be pretty boring.
well, Atlanta was my most recent chapter and I am discovering San Fran as we speak and I have some free time to go through this thread. Most likely I will discuss recent events I've come across like Atlanta, logically makes sense no?
Especially with this thread since I've lived in both Atl and DC. All I was doing was giving the OP my take on his question. You can choose to ignore my posts if you please

Last edited by Ebck120; 04-12-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Wow. This thread really grew while I was away. As the OP, allow me to clarify a few points.

1. I agree that moving somewhere without a job lined up is a bad idea. However, I may not have a choice as my job will be ending soon. I've also been saving up a lot of money in anticipation of this move. Sure, I'd rather not have to eat into my savings. In Atlanta, my savings would last longer. But what's also true is that my odds of finding a job are lower compared to DC. If I don't find a job within a year in DC (or anywhere else for that matter), I'll know it's the wrong city for me. But the thing that terrifies me the most, more than the prospect of bad traffic, lousy weather, or unfriendly people is being unemployed and desperate to find work. I know that jobs are hard to come by no matter where you live. I just want to maximize my chances of finding one. I also don't want to be in a position where I'm forced to take a job because there's nothing better around.

2. In terms of a night life, I'm not a 20something guy looking to hit all the cool bars and clubs. Cultural amenities like museums, galleries, etc. are more my thing. DC feels very cosmopolitan, which I like.

3. Although I don't know exactly how much I'll make in DC, I know that IT pays well there, at least as well as what I make in Chicago. I just hope it's enough to make up for the higher housing costs. But as someone pointed out earlier, cities are expensive because that's where everyone wants to be.

4. As for housing costs, I realize it's expensive. But I'm used to paying $1300 a month. So assuming my salary goes up, I don't think the rents will be too far out of my reach, depending on what part of DC I choose to live in. Since I'm not a 20something who needs to run with the cool crowd, I don't need to live in the hippest part of the city. At the same time, I don't want to live in the far, far suburbs where it's nothing but families.
all threads where you are comparing Atlanta to another city grow very rapidly.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
all threads where you are comparing Atlanta to another city grow very rapidly.
...and they always seem to attract malcontents.

Even when they no longer have a reason to complain about the place any longer - they still tend to show up.

I've noticed the same thing with a certain set of ex-Floridians too.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
...and they always seem to attract malcontents.

Even when they no longer have a reason to complain about the place any longer - they still tend to show up.

I've noticed the same thing with a certain set of ex-Floridians too.
as we go back and forth =) neither side is better then the other, its a open forum for opinions and discussion for goodness sakes

Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
as we go back and forth =) neither side is better then the other, its a open forum for opinions and discussion for goodness sakes
Are we a tad bit touchy?

I wasn't speaking of you.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Are we a tad bit touchy?

I wasn't speaking of you.
oh how cute -)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta