Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:39 AM

66 posts, read 114,729 times

Advertisements

Just want some realistic feedback... our family is thinking about relocating from Columbus, OH within the next two years or so. Our top choices are Charlotte and Atlanta, mainly because of the cost of living and lifestyle.

My spouse and I are young African American professionals in our late 20's, and we have a one-year-old son. Specifically, we're looking for a diverse and safe place to live and raise a family, with a decent job market and an interesting lifestyle (restaurants, cultural activities, entertainment etc.)

Ideally, our plan is for me to finish my MBA and for her to obtain her teaching license, then relocate and buy a home. Our budget will be approx. $200,000.00 - $275,000.00, is it possible to have a decent 3-4br home in a quiet neighborhood?

Any feedback would be very appreciated... thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
It depends on if you want a larger city with larger city amenities...if so, Atlanta is the obvious choice. They are both great cities with beautiful neighborhoods and nice skylines, but Atlanta is about 3-4 times larger than Charlotte - with probably 3-4 times the diversity of Charlotte as well.

Charlotte would be more comparable to Columbus...while Atlanta would be more comparable to Philadelphia.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:59 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Both areas would allow you to purchase a nice home in a nice neighborhood within your budget. The challenge will be finding jobs in either location. With the massive education cuts taking place all across the country due to lack of funding, the pool of teachers who will be applying for every job that opens up will be huge, and will likely take quite a few years to absorb. The newly-minted teachers who will be coming out of school will be competing for positions with people with more experience, making it harder for them to find work.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM

11 posts, read 19,531 times
Neosoulbrotha, welcome to the ATL board. I am from Columbus,OH also and recently moved down to the ATL with my wife. Good to see some more Ohioans move down south.

Both cities are good options, but I honestly say for me and my wife, it was a no-brainer for us. Atlanta won hands down. We thought really hard about Charlotte and visited the city a few times and coming from Columbus to Charlotte would be a lateral move to me. Charlotte is a step up from Columbus but no by much. Atlanta is a great city and so much to do and see. Where else can you find a great city with low cost of living, warm weather, diverse and a good mix of doing city activities and still being able to live in the burbs?

Come on down to Atlanta, you won't regret especially if you can find a great job in your field of work.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:07 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsjones35 View Post
Neosoulbrotha, welcome to the ATL board. I am from Columbus,OH also and recently moved down to the ATL with my wife. Good to see some more Ohioans move down south.

Both cities are good options, but I honestly say for me and my wife, it was a no-brainer for us. Atlanta won hands down. We thought really hard about Charlotte and visited the city a few times and coming from Columbus to Charlotte would be a lateral move to me. Charlotte is a step up from Columbus but no by much. Atlanta is a great city and so much to do and see. Where else can you find a great city with low cost of living, warm weather, diverse and a good mix of doing city activities and still being able to live in the burbs?

Come on down to Atlanta, you won't regret especially if you can find a great job in your field of work.
uhhh, houston? dallas? nashville?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:07 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSoulBrotha View Post
Just want some realistic feedback... our family is thinking about relocating from Columbus, OH within the next two years or so. Our top choices are Charlotte and Atlanta, mainly because of the cost of living and lifestyle.

My spouse and I are young African American professionals in our late 20's, and we have a one-year-old son. Specifically, we're looking for a diverse and safe place to live and raise a family, with a decent job market and an interesting lifestyle (restaurants, cultural activities, entertainment etc.)

Ideally, our plan is for me to finish my MBA and for her to obtain her teaching license, then relocate and buy a home. Our budget will be approx. $200,000.00 - $275,000.00, is it possible to have a decent 3-4br home in a quiet neighborhood?

Any feedback would be very appreciated... thanks for your help!
Be sure to check out which state/city has highter taxes. That can make a big difference to you.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:28 AM

32 posts, read 75,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
uhhh, houston? dallas? nashville?
Maybe it is me, but I have noticed you in a lot of ATLANTA related threads where you continuously hate on ATL. Are you a hater or do you not have anything else better to do with your time? In addition, I have noticed that you are from Texas. Is Texas not big enough for you?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 AM

213 posts, read 421,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLLIVE View Post
Maybe it is me, but I have noticed you in a lot of ATLANTA related threads where you continuously hate on ATL. Are you a hater or do you not have anything else better to do with your time? In addition, I have noticed that you are from Texas. Is Texas not big enough for you?

I thought the same thing... since I been on here they fight against anything dealing with Atlanta.. You would think there was enough going on in the Texas boards. being there so many big cities there. But we always appreciate the love the texans give us when they visit our forum...

Shout out too JLuke Scarface713 Al green Spade and westbanknola ( not from Texas but he will ride or die with the texas posters.. These are the ones you will constantly see in Atlanta forum or any thread dealing with Atlanta.... I wonder why

Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 AM

32 posts, read 75,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
I thought the same thing... since I been on here they fight against anything dealing with Atlanta.. You would think there was enough going on in the Texas boards. being there so many big cities there. But we always appreciate the love the texans give us when they visit our forum...

Shout out too JLuke Scarface713 Al green Spade and westbanknola ( not from Texas but he will ride or die with the texas posters.. These are the ones you will constantly see in Atlanta forum or any thread dealing with Atlanta.... I wonder why
Note taken.

Back to the OP, I love Atlanta and Charlotte; however, Atlanta just has more indoor and outdoor activities for a young family to partake in than in Charlotte. My advice is to visit both and decide for yourself. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
did i miss something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta