Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times

Advertisements

WARNING:

There has been an increase in bickering, that's bordering on personal attacks, in the last page or so. One warning - stay on topic and do not bicker back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Funny how the areas where traffic isn't as bad are the very same areas Marta covers. Are you seeing this suburbanites?
As has been mentioned before in many threads, I suspect many of us "suburbanites" are quite aware of MARTA's advantages and positive impact within its service area and respect those who can take advantage of its services. If I lived ITP, I might use MARTA. Hard to say, since that is purely hypothetical.

However, since my wife and I (1) neither live nor work within its range and (2) don't have issues with traffic where we live, it really doesn't concern us that much one way or the other.

Were MARTA to expand into Cobb where I live and work, for example, I might use it on various occasions (maybe to go downtown on occasion, or perhaps to go elsewhere in Cobb along its service lines). Hard to say. I'm not against MARTA, CCT, or any other form of mass transit, and I've taken advantage of it in the past. I like mass transit.

As it is now, however, we really don't miss it or need a replacement for our vehicles. I do find it interesting, tho, that you seem to assume that everyone OTP has traffic issues. :-)

Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You simply don't believe what actual residents are telling you...no one is being defensive - it's you. Everyone else is not the problem - it's you. You've implied your views throughout this thread, and now your denying it? At least stand up for what you think...no matter how wrong you are...or, concede to the truth. Either way is better than trying to deny it.

Check all of the comments following yours...I'm certainly not the only one that you're at odds with on this subject. You are arguing a silly point with several very knowledgable Atlantans.
I have never denied anything. I don't understand why you keep saying that. I asked a question. You gave your opinion. Other people gave theirs. I simply pointed out that not everyone agrees with your opinion. How is that denying facts?

I know atlantagreg30127 just issued a warning to stay on topic and avoid personal attacks, but I think this is important to clear up. People come to this forum to ask questions and get answers from those who are informed. That's all I did. And when I ask a fair question, I'm told that I'm implying something which I'm not. When I point out that not everyone agrees on the central question, I'm told that I'm arguing and denying facts. That line of reasoning makes no sense to me. If I say that Joe thinks vanilla is better than chocolate and John thinks chocolate is better than vanilla, does that mean I'm arguing over which is better? Of course not. Does it mean that I'm taking sides and saying one person is right and the other is wrong? No. But that seems to be how you've interpreted my statements. I guess if I've learned anything in this thread, it's that you can't cite someone else's opinion without having someone else attribute it to you. To the rest of you, thank you for the valuable feedback.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:46 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
As has been mentioned before in many threads, I suspect many of us "suburbanites" are quite aware of MARTA's advantages and positive impact within its service area and respect those who can take advantage of its services. If I lived ITP, I might use MARTA. Hard to say, since that is purely hypothetical.

However, since my wife and I (1) neither live nor work within its range and (2) don't have issues with traffic where we live, it really doesn't concern us that much one way or the other.

Were MARTA to expand into Cobb where I live and work, for example, I might use it on various occasions (maybe to go downtown on occasion, or perhaps to go elsewhere in Cobb along its service lines). Hard to say. I'm not against MARTA, CCT, or any other form of mass transit, and I've taken advantage of it in the past. I like mass transit.

As it is now, however, we really don't miss it or need a replacement for our vehicles. I do find it interesting, tho, that you seem to assume that everyone OTP has traffic issues. :-)
lol no I know that a lot of people otp are all for transit. Sorry, I was just trying to rally votes for the upcoming transit tax ballot. I guess it came off a little pompus.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
Well based on the method your using DC doesnt have 900,000 people riding the trains 900,000 trips are made which can be done by the same people 3 or 4 times a day... So who knows how many people are actually using the trains. No one may never know.... Like Deacon J said quote: I just can't understand why someone would ask a question, then argue with the answers he gets.
Thank you!

For some reason that member has singled out me to argue with...I don't care to argue his moot point any further, so I'm not responding to any more of his posts. At least 10 other members have disagreed with his views on MARTA and told him that his information is incorrect, but he's not currently responding to any of them other than me...and they all got a thank you from him: "To the rest of you, thank you for the valuable feedback" when they responded very much like I did. Who knows? C'est la vie.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
It is comfortable, mostly reliable, clean and mostly safe. It is quite safe everywhere in the day. At night after about 8 I would avoid the south and west lines unless there is a special event going on.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Thank you!

For some reason that member has singled out me to argue with...I don't care to argue his moot point any further, so I'm not responding to any more of his posts. At least 10 other members have disagreed with his views on MARTA and told him that his information is incorrect, but he's not currently responding to any of them other than me...and they all got a thank you from him: "To the rest of you, thank you for the valuable feedback" when they responded very much like I did. Who knows? C'est la vie.
The difference is that they simply offered their opinions. You, on the other hand, seem to think the mere act of relating other people's views that disagree with yours is the same as arguing. If I tell you that someone else doesn't agree with you, that's not arguing. That's just stating someone else doesn't agree with you. Keep that in mind the next time someone asks for your opinion.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The difference is that they simply offered their opinions. You, on the other hand, seem to think the mere act of relating other people's views that disagree with yours is the same as arguing. If I tell you that someone else doesn't agree with you, that's not arguing. That's just stating someone else doesn't agree with you. Keep that in mind the next time someone asks for your opinion.
Problem #1: You have titled this thread "Why Isn't MARTA More Widely Used?", thereby starting out on a negative and inaccurate premise;

Problem #2: You have been presented with ample evidence (by people that have firsthand experience with this system, unlike you) to contradict your premise, and yet seem to stubbornly cling to this premise, ignoring presented facts.

That is why you are receiving friction, not because you are 'merely offering an opinion'.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Problem #1: You have titled this thread "Why Isn't MARTA More Widely Used?", thereby starting out on a negative and inaccurate premise;

Problem #2: You have been presented with ample evidence (by people that have firsthand experience with this system, unlike you) to contradict your premise, and yet seem to stubbornly cling to this premise, ignoring presented facts.

That is why you are receiving friction, not because you are 'merely offering an opinion'.
In retrospect, I should've titled the thread "How Widely Used Is Marta?" As for your second point, I haven't ignored anyone's opinion. I've simply pointed out that not everyone agrees. If 10 people say the Earth is round and I present 3 others who say it's flat, is that the same as me saying I think the Earth is flat? Of course not. It's simply showing that there isn't a consensus on the issue.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:44 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
In retrospect, I should've titled the thread "How Widely Used Is Marta?" As for your second point, I haven't ignored anyone's opinion. I've simply pointed out that not everyone agrees. If 10 people say the Earth is round and I present 3 others who say it's flat, is that the same as me saying I think the Earth is flat? Of course not. It's simply showing that there isn't a consensus on the issue.
As if there was a consensus on any issue. I think responding with such an abstract analogy is a bit disingenuous.
I've read a lot of your posts, and I do pick up on an inherent bias toward our city in them. I'm sure I'm not the only one, which is likely why you are often met with defensiveness from the 'restless natives' here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta