Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Yeah, we have our own "Austin style pizza" - ten million students and hippies can't be wrong. With that being said:

Ders no great Noo Yawk Eeetalian style pizza here. Youse ever try'd to eat good BBQ in Noo Yawk, tain't happinin'. But, whens I gits da cravins', I head ova to East Side Pies - sum guidos eat der sumtimes too.
I truly honestly sincerely and dearly believe that East Side Pies is the best Pizza in Austin. I especially like how places like Epoch, Rio Rita and Bennu sell their pizza that way you can get some late at night! Awesome times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
I've got 4 NY joints within a few miles of me. Still haven't tried Domenicks, but I would put Yaghi's and Reale's neck-in-neck depending on who is baking it up...both have a tendency to be undercooked. Saccone's would be at the bottom...they slipped in quality a long time ago.

I'll admit that I like Papa Murphy's. It's a take-and-bake place, but shockingly they got it figured out. Pizza comes out tasting better than Papa Johns and Pizza Hut and a lot better than the stuff in the frozen pizza aisle. Of course, I won't sub Papa Murphy's for one of the NY style places above, but sometimes I just don't want to spend 15+ on a pizza.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 AM

239 posts, read 518,247 times
From Chicago too...just haven't found good pizza here...at all. East coast style is the norm and just doesn't satisfy the old pizza craving. Plus, it's impossible to find good Italian sausage. Planning a trip back soon....first thing....pizza!

BTW - for all those unfamiliar with Chicago pizza - it's not exclusively deep dish. Visitors to Chicago usually end up at one of the deep dish pizza tourist traps....sigh...I'd even settle for that now....

Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
Home Slice Pizza is pretty good, though I really hate going there because there's always a huge line and wait.

One place I haven't heard anyone mention yet is Little Deli. The pizza there is pretty good NY-style pizza.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
Plus, it's impossible to find good Italian sausage.
Johnny G's Butcher Block down on Manchaca Rd makes their own Italian sausage. It is far superior to the few others I've tried (CM, WF, etc). Give it a try and see if it stacks up.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:17 PM

75 posts, read 113,693 times
real italians usually make the best pizza in my opinion, or establishments that have italian friends in the family.

I may move from New York to Austin, I was wondering since there seem to be a lot of traditional pizzarias in Austin, is there a decent italian population in the city.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:18 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiunpride View Post
real italians usually make the best pizza in my opinion, or establishments that have italian friends in the family.

I may move from New York to Austin, I was wondering since there seem to be a lot of traditional pizzarias in Austin, is there a decent italian population in the city.
When I living in western MA it seemed like 1 in 4 people had Italian ancestry. I don't think I have met any here, although I don't meet many people so take that for what it's worth.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:34 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times
We're moving there from Minnesota in less than a month and with our close proximity to Chicago, I grew up on Chicago-style, not New York-style pizza and I greatly prefer it.

I do not like deep dish pizza and think that's what tourists eat in Chicago. To me, Chicago-style thin crust pizza is where it's at.

Apparently this will be something that I will have to have on visits to see the family in Minnesota. Ah well, there wasn't any good Chicago-style pizza for the 11 years I was in Phoenix either. Though they did have multiple good NY-style places, which is what I ended up settling for, because everything else was utter crap!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:21 PM

355 posts, read 923,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiunpride View Post

Not many Italians here at all.

I think the best pizza in Austin is Reale's (183/Anderson Mill) which is as close to any 'up north' pizza as you will find here. Only disadvantages are that they play Frank Sinatra constantly, and they are closed on Sundays.

Owner is Italian and from Brroklyn.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:18 PM

171 posts, read 422,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Not many Italians here at all.

I think the best pizza in Austin is Reale's .... Only disadvantages are that they play Frank Sinatra constantly
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Yeah, Reale's is good, and REAL. The first time I walked in, it was a late lunch, and the big booth by the entrance had a stereotypical Soprano's family sitting there, from white-haired Grampa in his suit, to beefy Junior in a gold chain and jogging suit, and everyone in between. I think it was the owners, and I hope my double-take wasn't too obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin