Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
Does anyone know of some good low-sodium smoked wild salmon available around town? I like Whole Foods' Whole Catch Smoked Sockeye--runs around $12/8oz--but it's a bit salty for me, especially coupled with cream cheese or goat cheese. I think it's 630mg/2oz. Any other non-outrageously-expensive lower sodium varieties?
Hoo-yah! $24 a pound AND 1/4 your daily intake of sodium.

Nolikee is smart to be concerned about the origin of the salmon. Mayhaps it's time to do a little 'home smokin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
I'm referring to the different choices in the cases (deli counters) at CM.....NOT the prepackaged stuff. There's Nova, but then there are two or three other choices. Do they all qualify as Lox?

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me because it ALL tastes great, but I was just wonderin'........esp. from our Northeastern folks.

Basically........what it comes down to is which of the salmon do I choose? Guess I need to ask the Deli counter people?
Ask the fish guys at Central Market , they're knowledgeable and will give you a taste of each if you're nice. But yea, lox means cured salmon. These are the main styles...

Regular lox (like you'd get on a NY bagel) is heavily brined and then cold smoked (never exceeds 85 degrees).

Nova lox is more lightly brined (less salty) and then cold smoked. Milder.

Gravlax is Scandanavian style, brined with sugar and salt and spices like dill and juniper and then pressed. This is the style served at Smorgasbord.

Scottish style is rubbed with dry spices and the later rinsed off and cold smoked.

Then, to complicate the equation, there are 5 kinds of salmon which can be cured in any of these styles, each with a different texture and color and flavor profile, and this is why you want to ask the fish guy to talk to you.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I'm having the same problem since my move to Delaware. My recommendation is to call H and H bagel in New York City, they will Fedex bagels to you. They have quite a few locations so you won't have any problems finding one.
Sorry to say, H&H is in bankruptcy and most of its locations are now closed. They just got evicted from the Upper West Side, but they vow to return.

Traditional bagels have a crunchy outside and a soft inside. The crunch is created by dropping the formed bagels into a big vat of boiling water for a couple of minutes, then allowing the dough to rise before baking. That creates the crispy, shiny surface.

For expediency, less traditional bakeries skip the boil, using steam cabinets to form the crust, which ends up softer. OK for the suburbs, but never gonna fool the city folks.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:58 PM

One more thing... there is an authentic Glatt Kosher deli inside the Northwestern Hills HEB (near MoPac and Far West) where you can get a good pastrami sandwich, lox and bagels, etc.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
One more thing... there is an authentic Glatt Kosher deli inside the Northwestern Hills HEB (near MoPac and Far West) where you can get a good pastrami sandwich, lox and bagels, etc.
Update: Today that kosher deli had nice looking nova lox in prepacks for $14/lb. but they don't seem to be custom slicing or serving bagels mit lox now. But the pastrami sandwiches still look great.

But never fear, on the other side of the same shopping center, facing Far West, next to the Post Office, is Kneaded Pleasures, a great bakery/cafe. For $5.99 they'll make you a nice toasted bagel with a schmear, slice of tomato and red onion, capers, and tasty lox. Enjoy!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Ask the fish guys at Central Market , they're knowledgeable and will give you a taste of each if you're nice. But yea, lox means cured salmon. These are the main styles...

Regular lox (like you'd get on a NY bagel) is heavily brined and then cold smoked (never exceeds 85 degrees).

Nova lox is more lightly brined (less salty) and then cold smoked. Milder.

Gravlax is Scandanavian style, brined with sugar and salt and spices like dill and juniper and then pressed. This is the style served at Smorgasbord.

Scottish style is rubbed with dry spices and the later rinsed off and cold smoked.

Then, to complicate the equation, there are 5 kinds of salmon which can be cured in any of these styles, each with a different texture and color and flavor profile, and this is why you want to ask the fish guy to talk to you.
Thanks, OpenD.........that's more of the answer I was looking for! However, the "fish guys" aren't really in charge of the lox.....it's in the same area as the hams, turkey breasts, etc., but I will ask for a sample or two.

Been to Kneaded Pleasures only for lunch and gelato on a couple of occasions, but didn't know they had the bagel, lox, schmear thing going. Will try it.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,515 times
Are there any?? Let me know because I would love a GOOD new york style bagel once in a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Deep2 View Post
The frozen bagels don't cut it for me. Neither do the fresh baked in HEB or Randall's (too soft). So where does a bagel addict find a NY-style bagel in Austin? Onion bagels preferred. And for that matter, to go with that bagel...where to buy decent fresh lox, and not vacuum packed?

Desperate.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 967 times
Smile NY Bagels

I have found them. They are made by Bruegger's Bagels. They boil them and then bake them. They have that crust on the outside and are chewy on the inside. Delicious! And there salmon/lox sandwich is to die for. They put cream cheese, capers, tomatoes and red onion on it like I used to get in Brooklyn. Yum. There are two locations, one on South Lamar and the other is on Bee cave Rd. You gotta go man. Oh, and there are no preservatives so they get hard if you leave them in the bag overnight. I cut them and freeze um for the toaster in the morning.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:15 PM

101 posts, read 165,156 times
I didn't read through the whole thread to see if this has been mentioned yet, but the bagels at the HEB bakery (the ones actually made in HEB) remind me the most of NY bagels I used to have.

They sell them in a pack of ~5, and they don't prepare them for you, you have to cut and add cream cheese (or butter) yourself.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:24 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATX View Post
I have found them. They are made by Bruegger's Bagels. They boil them and then bake them. They have that crust on the outside and are chewy on the inside. Delicious! And there salmon/lox sandwich is to die for. They put cream cheese, capers, tomatoes and red onion on it like I used to get in Brooklyn. Yum. There are two locations, one on South Lamar and the other is on Bee cave Rd. You gotta go man. Oh, and there are no preservatives so they get hard if you leave them in the bag overnight. I cut them and freeze um for the toaster in the morning.
I agree, Bruegger's is my favorite bagel too even though they are a chain. I get them by the dozen and freeze them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin