Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Keep the soil around your homes foundation damp.
Why? what is the purpose of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 PM

239 posts, read 518,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Scorpion stings are like wasp stings. I know.
Wrong...certain species of scorpion (which are not in this area) the sting can be fatal.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM

374 posts, read 982,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Why? what is the purpose of this?
Most homes have slab foundations. With a slab foundation, the clay underneath will dry out during summer months, creating cracks both in the foundation and damage to the home. If you keep a soaker hose along the base of your home, this will reduce the chances of serious damage. I used the recycled tire soaker hoses under simple mulch along the edge of the foundation and would allow them to run on low for about an hour a day - just enough to keep it damp.

Here is another post where this is discussed:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ms-repair.html

Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM

160 posts, read 233,232 times
I'm kinda freaking out with all this new info. I'm so scared of these things! The spiders are freaking me out majorly. How do you kill a scorpion? With the spiders, do you go after them and kill them or what? Ack!

Bugs have always freaked me out, but poisonous ones bring a whole other level of freak out. I guess I will get used to it, but for now, I'm kind of panicking!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
A scorpion can kind of be thought of like a bee. Sometimes they can be rather large but mostly they are small like a bee. The wolf spiders are intimidating but harmless and honestly, you won't see tarantulas regularly. That's like a newsworthy occurence in most neighborhoods other than new construction areas.

Don't panic. Think of it as a way to help you get over your fears and to move on expending that energy elsewhere!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
Having grown up and living with all the mentioned critters plus coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats. etc. I can honestly say that it's really no big deal. You learn to live with them and how to. Can they be dangerous? In some cases, yes. But most of the time they want to stay away from you just as much if not more than you want to keep from them. Because I was taught respect and how to avoid being bit by snakes for example, I have never been bitten even though I spent a lot of my childhood with a snakebite kit in my back pocket (and knew how to use it).

I'm not saying you have to love 'em (I'm not fond of scorpions myself) but you also don't have to fear them as long as you respect them. As far as coral snakes go, Romeandjill is correct. If you see what you believe to be a coral snake, just remember, "red touch black poison lack. red touch yellow, kill a fellow." Not sure if the last part is literal or a bit poetic but the color combo is true.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
Wrong...certain species of scorpion (which are not in this area) the sting can be fatal.
In the United States, the only lethal scorpion is the Arizona bark scorpion. Since this is the Austin forum I replied about the only kinds of scorpions found here. They are the striped bark scorpion (most common) and the Texas cave scorpion.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
I'm kinda freaking out with all this new info. I'm so scared of these things! The spiders are freaking me out majorly. How do you kill a scorpion? With the spiders, do you go after them and kill them or what? Ack!

Bugs have always freaked me out, but poisonous ones bring a whole other level of freak out. I guess I will get used to it, but for now, I'm kind of panicking!
I am always amused by people who freak out about bugs. I am much more afraid of politicians than any bug.

The best way to kill a scorpion is to physically kill it. I mean smash it. Most pesticides ("Raid") are ineffective. Scorpions will laugh at you if you use chemicals against them.

Tarantulas are cool. There is no reason to kill one. If you find one, capture it in a container and relocate it. They are more like animals than bugs.

Giant centipedes are the most impressive bugs around here. Spectacular and creepy as can be. Smash these unless they are outside.

Never kill a lizard. We have several kinds around here. The Mediterranean house Gecko is common and they are cute and just eat bugs. We have green Anoles (beautiful), whiptails (they move fast), spiny lizards (our cats seem to like capturing these), and probably a few others.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM

63 posts, read 127,716 times
My biggest bug fear are those giant centipedes. I haven't seen one in person yet and hopefully ever, and I'm thankful for that. I'm also not too fond of brown recluse spiders. I grew up in a place with black widows every where and was only bitten once with no real damage.

The scorpions inside, that the cat didn't kill, I trapped them in a jar and threw them outside. They don't move too fast.

You really have to watch out for wasp and hornets though. Definitely get some spray just in case.

The vet told us that fleas are a big problem here for pets, inside and outside. I don't know if they inside thing is that true because my cats are flea-free, and occasionally go outside.

I haven't lived in the Austin area for too long so I wouldn't know about here, but when I lived in San Antonio, I noticed mosquitoes weren't a problem. Never saw a single one(and I'm a popular bug restaurant!). I'm guessing the bats ate them.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about the bugs and snakes unless you live near big natural open areas.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post
I used the recycled tire soaker hoses under simple mulch along the edge of the foundation and would allow them to run on low for about an hour a day - just enough to keep it damp.
Just a reminder - if you are in Austin, during the current Stage 2 water restrictions, this is a violation.

It does not matter what your reasoning, you are only allowed to water one day a week under current conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin