Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM

33 posts, read 74,121 times

Advertisements

Can anyone definitely define for us what the requirements for a new Texas resident is, with driver license from another state, relative to multiple owned vehicles ... at time of application??

Reason for asking....
Have a 'hobby' vehicle parked in our garage that has never been on Texas soil ... or asphalt.
Just prior to moving to Texas, the vehicle ... a Rabbit diesel pickup ... was insured in our home state ... because it had been reguraly driven there. But, in moving, discovered that it needed some engine work ... so decided to not register it until the engine, etc. was up to function at new location.

However, due to neglagence, at time of insuring our vehicles (s), I absentmindly insured the Rabbit ... having forgotten my previous plan.

In applying for our drivers license, the "lady" ... and I use that loosley ... insisted we provide registration and insurance for all vehicles ... including the Rabbit. That brought about a large (somewhat of) argument between us and her, because, having drivers license, and registrations in other states, for the past 68 years ... HAD NEVER HAD TO PRESENT DOCUMENTS FOR ALL VEHICLES.

In fact, Texas is the ONLY state that we 'appear' to be required to do this ... for the drivers license. ALL other states we have lived in, up to Texas, NEVER required ... but only the basics ... sight, age, etc. of the individual ... and fee of course.

In other words, it brings up this question....
.... what if an applicant does not own a vehicle ... is he/she not allowed to get a license to drive ... say rental cars, etc. for example ???
Or say that the former Harrah's Museum in Reno, Nevada ... from which we moved ... with it's over 250 antique cars decided to re-locate to Texas ... all vehicles NEVER being on state property ... would Bill Harrah have been required to show REGISTRATION for all 250 vehicles .... or any other modern day collector in Texas??????

The pamphlet for VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW RESIDENTS clearly says """"" PROOF OF TEXAS REGISTRATION AND LIABILITY INSURANCE, IF YOU OWN A VEHICLE""""" .... nothing about ALL vehicles.....including ones that are not drivable as of the time of application. With our application, we clearly provided the registration documents, with insurance, for the vehicle we drove to the office.

Curious what others have experienced.

PS: "SHE" ... and again I use that loosley ... caved in ... due to the wife 'taking her on' .... and meanmouthed us that .... "I sure would hate to get a $2000.00 ticket for this."..... which we ignored.
PPSS: OH ... forgot to mention this above; being a former Calif. Highway Patrol officer myself, can also state that there is no such law there ... which other 'supposedly' copy-cat laws from.

Final note ... will IMMEDIATELY be cancelling the insurance coverage on the Rabbit.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Well, here's the official website: TxDPS - Apply for Driver License/ID card

But it seems like you're already hip deep innit. If the vehicle is not in Texas you don't need to list it.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:22 PM

33 posts, read 74,121 times
Yes Open ... you're right. That's what I found also.

But the key is the pamphlet I referrred to in which it states "A VEHICLE" ... not ALL VEHICLES.

And as a 'newbie', that's what we adheared to. We went prepared with details on "A VEHICLE" ... our everday car.... not ALL OWNED VEHICLES ...

doon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, here's the official website: TxDPS - Apply for Driver License/ID card

But it seems like you're already hip deep innit. If the vehicle is not in Texas you don't need to list it.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM

New Requirement Added May 2012, as reported by the Austin Statesman:

"First-time applicants must now prove 30-day residency for driver's licenses, state IDs

First-time applicants for Texas driver's licenses and identity cards now must show proof of residency at Texas Department of Public Safety offices under a new state law that took effect this week.

Lawmakers passed the legislation in the last session. In addition to existing required documentation, applicants are now required to show two documents — from different agencies — establishing proof of residency.

At least one of those documents must show that the applicant has lived in the state for at least 30 days.

Among the acceptable documents are mortgage statements, Texas motor vehicle registrations or titles, utility bills from within 90 days of application and voter registration cards. A complete list of acceptable documents can be found at TxDPS - Your Texas Drivers License / ID.

The legislation was backed by Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa, D-McAllen, who argued Texas was one of two states that do not have such requirements. He said the required documentation would help ensure people are positively identified.

Contact Patrick Beach at 445-3603"

First-time applicants must now prove 30-day residency for driver's licenses, state IDs

Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM

182 posts, read 694,293 times
Found here TxDPS -

Quote:
Proving Residency

You must prove your Texas residency by showing two acceptable documents that contain your name and residential address. One of the documents must prove that you have lived in Texas for at least 30 days, unless you are surrendering a valid, unexpired driver license from another state; then the 30 day requirement is waived.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM

327 posts, read 774,839 times
Why do they have to know about all vehicles? When I got my license a few months ago, I showed them the insurance card for one vehicle along with the registration. They didn't follow me home and look in my garage to see if I had additional vehicles.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
Why do they have to know about all vehicles? When I got my license a few months ago, I showed them the insurance card for one vehicle along with the registration. They didn't follow me home and look in my garage to see if I had additional vehicles.
The state has an obvious interest in making sure that vehicles that are owned and operated in Texas are also registered in Texas, per the law.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,120 times
It may be irritating, but whether 49 other states do it or not doesn't mean a thing. If it's the law here, and you live here, it's the law for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: