Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 PM

76 posts, read 200,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Mistake #1 is to move to any place due to hype machines, Austin included. Move due to job relos, or love, or family...but definitely don't move anywhere due to PR spin.
Right. I moved due to cost of living issues, and also the guy I was in love with (and am now currently dating) was moving here. So there ya go. I didn't move because of some yahoo article. That would be ridiculous. He has the same beef with Austin that I do, and yes I do think that moving back east/or the Chicago area is the answer. Ultimately from what I can tell, nothing that I am looking for (now that I have the guy/the financial stability) can be found here. It's unfortunate, the weather, col is amazing. I also have met some awesome people and have had a lot of fun, I just don't see the long term potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
Whatever...I don't have one friend from college who worked in a coffee shop after college. Kids graduating with a generic "business" degree are just as unemployable as someone graduating with a degree in a liberal arts discipline.

Unless you study something very specific like engineering, accounting, teaching, or a trade, you have to be creative when you get out of school (actually...it's a process that should begin while still in college with internships, etc.) and market yourself in your job search.

I think the bigger problem is that a lot of 22 year olds finish up college and still don't really know what they want to be when they grow up. In fact, I've known a fair share of engineers who hit their mid-30's and suddenly don't know what they want to be when they grow up anymore and suddenly find themselves back in school. Getting a degree in something specific does not make one immune to this issue.

When I was in undergrad, I sat down with my advisor and discussed what my career options might be with the major I was choosing. I plotted a path to accomplish my goals and I was gainfully employed as soon as I finished school (I had a job lined up as a result of an internship) until I started my hiatus to raise my kids. My brother, who went to a larger university and obtained one of those business degrees, had far more uncertainty when he graduated and in the first few years out of school.

Getting back to my point, I feel strongly that a liberal arts education is a strong foundation and I find it very demeaning when people start making comments like the one made above. It might not be the right path for everyone, but please don't assume that those of us who did attend a liberal arts college are all underemployed and unable to support ourselves. Many of us have done quite well thank you!

I would also like to state that I absolutely agree with all of this. I am still figuring out exactly what it is that I want to be doing. I tried one career route and it didn't work (big deal, I'm 25, it happens) and I just wanted to get a feel for what other people thought about the Austin scene. It does seem the that students drive up the competition and drive down the $ p/h. I also definitely didn't realize how much I would miss the pedestrian aspect of my former life. I have a car, but there is something wonderful to me about walking to everything that you need (burns calories, provides endorphins), plugged into your favorite tunes, maybe you will run into some friends, here I drive around commuting to my jobs all alone in my car (though the 102.7 comedy station is amazing). I think a lot of my discontent is my own fault, but I also think there is some just general incompatibility happening. Also, can we chill about my tattoo comment? The people I work with realize that having a rotting piece of pizza on their forearm might be a job deterrent, but people on this site are getting huffy and I am sick of explaining myself. If you have plugs, a sleeve of tats, and a great job, that's awesome. That really has nothing to do with what I am actually talking about.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 PM

355 posts, read 922,975 times
I get you, Louise.

I live south of Austin now. And I moved here from Hyde Park. Just last week I stopped in @ Quack's for a coffee and just felt so out of it/over it. Suppose I'm way tired the just rolled-out-of-bed, tat covered look and attitude. At least the slacker Austin I moved to (back when Whole Foods was @ 10th & Lamar) was friendly. This hipster movement is so snooty and silly. I think you've seen enough.

And I agree with what many others have said about moving--I think you ought to plot your next move.

I also thought of New Orleans and Chicago for you. But my first thought was Philly...

I remember when I lived in NYC, there were a lot of people moving there for the near-NYC, albeit less expensive experience.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
Right. I moved due to cost of living issues, and also the guy I was in love with (and am now currently dating) was moving here. So there ya go. I didn't move because of some yahoo article. That would be ridiculous. He has the same beef with Austin that I do, and yes I do think that moving back east/or the Chicago area is the answer. Ultimately from what I can tell, nothing that I am looking for (now that I have the guy/the financial stability) can be found here. It's unfortunate, the weather, col is amazing. I also have met some awesome people and have had a lot of fun, I just don't see the long term potential.
Well then I,m sorry. Your initial post gave the impression that the hype did play to some degree -- in your decision.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
the weather is just about to suck

Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Well then I,m sorry. Your initial post gave the impression that the hype did play to some degree -- in your decision.
Well, I believed a lot of the hype...it just wasn't the deciding factor in my move

Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:
Mistake #1 is to move to any place due to hype machines, Austin included. Move due to job relos, or love, or family...but definitely don't move anywhere due to PR spin. Austin is not the land of milk and honey, where you will find this wonderful, high paying job while having "cheap" (but luxurious) rent at the same time. I'm not being snarky, just straight talk here.
So true, and I'll add to that don't come because you heard/read something good, you had a great time on a trip, and maybe a few aqaintences live here. Do it for your job, love, family, or similar important reason as stated above (and even then it may not be the right place for you.)

I'm speaking in general here, not necessarily to just the OP.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 AM

597 posts, read 1,316,948 times
See my comments about the comedy scene, you have a real opportunity to get the ball rolling here. Cap City has an amateur night.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM

37 posts, read 128,132 times
Default Austin

I really don't understand who would ask a group of strangers whether or not they should move (either to a place or from a place). It seems ludicrous to garner support from unknowns.

I only joined this forum before I moved her (had already decided) to get some information on good places to groom dogs, etc.... But I am constant dumbfounded by the number of people who solicit advice from strangers about major life decisions (not where it the best pizza, but what city should I move to). Sorry but people should be able to make these decisions without consulting people who don't have a clue about one's life (and conversely, whom you have no clue about). Social networking is not the answer to all life's decisions.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrube View Post
I really don't understand who would ask a group of strangers whether or not they should move (either to a place or from a place). It seems ludicrous to garner support from unknowns.

I only joined this forum before I moved her (had already decided) to get some information on good places to groom dogs, etc.... But I am constant dumbfounded by the number of people who solicit advice from strangers about major life decisions (not where it the best pizza, but what city should I move to). Sorry but people should be able to make these decisions without consulting people who don't have a clue about one's life (and conversely, whom you have no clue about). Social networking is not the answer to all life's decisions.
The internet can be a valuable source of information in the sense that it allows people to exchange ideas with people beyond their own social tribe. I think there is great value in that. I think it's up to people to be able to weigh the value of other people's input based on the strength of their arguments. Certainly, if someone came on here and said, "no you haven't given it enough time" and that's all, then their input wouldn't be worth anything. However, there have been a lot of really insightful comments on this thread.

Do you read books? Whenever you read a book and rely on information from it, in essence you are relying on assistance from strangers. Sometimes those books are related to life altering decisions. Sure you could argue you know who the author is, BUT I would say just because someone isn't identified as an 'expert' here doesn't mean that his or her ideas aren't worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin