Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,382,149 times

Advertisements

I remember when there weren't 40 cars in all of Hutto. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times
It's a lot simpler, if you really want to clarify and not spread the rumor, to just pick up the phone and call your kid's school and ask them, the purported source of the information, what they actually said.

That way, you have the correct information right from the horse's mouth and no rumor is spread further. See how easy?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,719,540 times
One of my middle school teacher friends on facebook relied yes to my query. Others where surprised (they aren't teachers) and complained about why this hasn't been picked up by the news. I haven't heard from the high school teacher as she hasn't been on facebook yet this morning. I asked the middle school teacher if she could give me details, since she replied that there was truth to the rumor.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Now that I think about it, that could explain why last week on my way home from work I saw a whole lot of state troopers driving around. There were about 4 in my neighborhood driving around slowly and one stopped on my street looking into a few cars that were parked on the street. I guess they didn't find anything though, as she didn't stay very long. I saw 3 on 685 and 2 going down 79 and thought to myself why are there so many of them here, but just blew it off.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,008,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's a lot simpler, if you really want to clarify and not spread the rumor, to just pick up the phone and call your kid's school and ask them, the purported source of the information, what they actually said. I would if someone answered the phone on Friday night or Saturday morning.

That way, you have the correct information right from the horse's mouth and no rumor is spread further. See how easy?
What's with the condescending attitude? Oh, I get it...that's how you treat people you think are terrorists...I forgot, my bad.

Seriously, if you or OpenD don't have anything good to say how about not saying anything at all?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I already know they have "crime stopper" announcements in school. I just don't know if they made announcements concerning what I already posted.

Williamson County Crime Stoppers

Does Austin have the same program?
Austin has crime stoppers, though I'm not sure if the programs are exactly the same. I don't recall crime stopper announcements being made in schools, just on the news. I suppose it would depend upon the crime.

Capital Area Crime Stoppers - About Crime Stoppers

Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,482,806 times
Hutto is to be commended for their excellent online Police Blotter that allows anyone to check up on what's really going on day by day with the police:

Hutto, TX - Official Website

Given that Hutto only experiences an average of 4 stolen cars a year (even nasty old Austin only averages 2 a day) the rumor posted here that 40 cars were stolen in one day in Hutto immediately struck me as obviously suspicious information, not just that it would have been an incident of historical proportions nationally, but that there was no related news report whatsoever to confirm any such thing happening.

A later call to the Hutto Police Department non-emergency line confirmed there was no such incident. Anyone can make such a call to find out if a rumor is true.

Digging a little deeper, and looking over the blotter one can see that the week before last, on 5/17 there were "a number" (no quantity given) of nighttime auto burglaries reported in one area, all from unlocked cars.

The next day the Hutto Police posted an informational newsletter titled "Auto Burglaries," and subtitled "Auto Burglary is a Crime of Opportunity and one of the most preventable crimes in Hutto:

Then on Monday May 21 the City of Hutto website posted this Civic Alert, advising ways to avoid burglaries from autos, chief among them being to not leave valuables in your car, and to keep your car locked.

My theory is that this Civic Alert early in the week, coupled with the earlier report of a cluster of burglaries from unlocked autos is the likely source of whatever actually got announced, and apparently misunderstood, at school.

As for Crimestoppers, their posters and informational announcements have been in schools for more than 35 years, giving everyone a safe, anonymous way to report crimes, and in some cases to collect a reward. It's a good program. And just like the Hutto Police advisory, it teaches people not to try to intervene personally if they witness a crime, but to report it (Call 911 !) and leave the follow-up to the proper authorities.

Good advice.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-26-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Yes, 40 cars were broken into in one night and the police are offering $1,000 reward for info.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Yes, 40 cars were broken into in one night and the police are offering $1,000 reward for info.
40 cars broken into though is a lot different than 40 cars stolen (the OP post).

Old 05-26-2012, 02:29 PM

426 posts, read 1,675,319 times
I know Forest Creek (might as well be/almost is Hutto) has been nailed by car break-in's over the last month and there have been reports of attempted home break-ins. I know that general thought/belief from whomever has whatever evidence and from what some have seen is local HS kids or slightly older are involved/behind it (yes - could be rumor, I understand). So I'd assume that may be the reasoning for the announcements at Hutto High or wherever else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin