Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Sunset Valley just voted recently to a ban nearly identical to Austin's. Also, word on the street is Westlake is also considering following on Austin's example.
I would imagine so- it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Yall keep mentioning about how things are running smoothly and people largely conducted their business as usual. Cmon now, did you really think people were going to grab the pitchforks and torches over plastic bags? It isn't the South Austin people who are going to take their business elsewhere since they are within the city limits and they're not going to drive to Kyle just for paper bags. It's the people who are straddling the city limits of two cities who will shop elsewhere - the Cedar Park, Round Rock, Pf people. Williamson especially doesn't really care about Austin eco-stuff. My RR HEB happily provides copious plastic bags on demand and will continue to do so.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
The HEB I was at was the one on Slaughter and Manchack in Far South Austin. And if the people of Williamson Co. don't want to have to go through the difficult feat of remembering their reusable bags in Austin, then they can just shop where it is to their liking. It's that simple.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The HEB thicker plastic bags are really nice. They can hold so much more and are easy to carry. It just really shows you how ridiculously low quality the disposable ones really were.

One quick observation that I have noticed since the switch... people are bringing all kinds of bags, not just the typical reusable ones. Especially if they don't have enough of the regular cloth ones. It's making for a learning curve in bagging, at least it looks like it. I've seen them give away (free) a couple of the pay bags when they don't want to deal with the particular thing the customer wants to fill with groceries.
How much are the thicker plastic bags? Are you supposed to bring those back in and reuse them?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yall keep mentioning about how things are running smoothly and people largely conducted their business as usual. Cmon now, did you really think people were going to grab the pitchforks and torches over plastic bags? It isn't the South Austin people who are going to take their business elsewhere since they are within the city limits and they're not going to drive to Kyle just for paper bags. It's the people who are straddling the city limits of two cities who will shop elsewhere - the Cedar Park, Round Rock, Pf people. Williamson especially doesn't really care about Austin eco-stuff. My RR HEB happily provides copious plastic bags on demand and will continue to do so.
I can't imagine it would make that much difference to people. The plastic bags were a nuisance. Got to the point that I went out of my way to avoid them. Just another thing to manage around the house -- it seemed like they multiplied on their own.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
How much are the thicker plastic bags? Are you supposed to bring those back in and reuse them?
I'm not really sure how much thicker, but it's significant. Maybe 2-4 times thicker? They are thick enough that you wouldn't expect them to break if something with a corner is poking against them. And they have handles. I believe you can re-use them but I'm not sure that's what they intend.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I can't imagine it would make that much difference to people. The plastic bags were a nuisance. Got to the point that I went out of my way to avoid them. Just another thing to manage around the house -- it seemed like they multiplied on their own.
A "plastic bag" is more than just the grocery bags. It is my understanding that it includes any plastic bag, including those used for clothing, household goods, and other purchases. Plastic bags may be a nuisance to some people, but to me, they are a convenience. When I am purchasing things from Marshall's, I want all of my clothes in a plastic bag. I in turn re-use those plastic bags for other things around the house.

If I had to pay for the plastic bags, then fine, I would. I'd pay a price for convenience.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
A "plastic bag" is more than just the grocery bags. It is my understanding that it includes any plastic bag, including those used for clothing, household goods, and other purchases. Plastic bags may be a nuisance to some people, but to me, they are a convenience. When I am purchasing things from Marshall's, I want all of my clothes in a plastic bag. I in turn re-use those plastic bags for other things around the house.

If I had to pay for the plastic bags, then fine, I would. I'd pay a price for convenience.
To each his own, of course. As for me, I've reconsidered the uses I had created for plastic bags and found that they weren't needed after all. Life's simpler.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
Should have said much of the developed/industrialized/Western world. Then my statement would be simply true.
Considering the three countries I've lived in all meet that definition--and in all of them you get a bag to take home purchases--you are, again, simply false.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
To each his own, of course. As for me, I've reconsidered the uses I had created for plastic bags and found that they weren't needed after all. Life's simpler.
They come in handy for houses like mine that have two dogs :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin