Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:20 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Based on demographics, Texas is headed for becoming a blue state within a decade. There's been a lot in the news regarding that.
Wishful thinking from political consultants who intend to be gainfully employed for the next ten years seelling that line of snake oil.

It presumes that XYZ growing group is monolithic. Nothing could be further from the truth. But they will be happy to take your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:41 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times
Keep up with Battleground Texas. There's a lot going on in the background, just like there was with the recent election, and unless you're watching and reading multiple media sources, you'll miss it (for example, many people who only watched Fox News were very naïve).

I think Battleground Texas is optimistic, though. I say give it 10 years and this state will be a totally different place. It's pretty well known that if everyone eligible to vote actually voted in this state, we would already be blue. The challenge is to get strategic groups to vote, and that's what Battleground Texas is working on.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
NPR = Communist Radio
And you've never listened to it, have you?

Typical wingnut remark.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 PM

211 posts, read 431,239 times
Quote:
And you've never listened to it, have you?

Typical wingnut remark.
I have listened before, it's not bad.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:06 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
I think Battleground Texas is optimistic, though. I say give it 10 years and this state will be a totally different place. It's pretty well known that if everyone eligible to vote actually voted in this state, we would already be blue. The challenge is to get strategic groups to vote, and that's what Battleground Texas is working on.
You are optimistic by a factor of at least two, according an un-biased source. 2036 at the earliest. Problem isn't just turn out - it is the non-monolithic behavior of Texas Hispanic voters - like my brother-in-law. Texas Republicans get about 40% of the Hispanic vote. To say "if everyone eligible to vote actually voted in this state, we would already be blue" ignores that reality. It also ignores that Texas Republicans have governed much more moderately regarding issues important to Hispanics than Republicans in other states. We haven't had a Pete Wilson in Texas, and you have to look at the heat Rick Perry took on the national stage over several of those issues. Finally - one of the three highest ranking state wide office holders is Hispanic, and Republican.

Also, when you use pejorative labels like "typical wingnut", it casts doubts on your ability to look at things from anything other than a bitter partisan view. One has to wonder if that lack of objectivity carries over into this issue as well?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Maybe you wake up a lot earlier than I do or drive at different times, but Morning Edition and All Things Considered haven't changed their time slots. New stuff instead of music comes on at 9 or 10 am, no? At which point a button push will take you back to music, right?

Personally I am happy having more choices.
I agree. I like the two station format. I keep both programed into my car radio, along with KMFA classical. Between the three, there is always something I can be happy listening to.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Also, when you use pejorative labels like "typical wingnut", it casts doubts on your ability to look at things from anything other than a bitter partisan view. One has to wonder if that lack of objectivity carries over into this issue as well?
I don't agree with name calling either, but really, to say that NPR is "communist" is both inaccurate and provocative, not to mention "bitter partisan."

Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You are optimistic by a factor of at least two, according an un-biased source. 2036 at the earliest. Problem isn't just turn out - it is the non-monolithic behavior of Texas Hispanic voters - like my brother-in-law. Texas Republicans get about 40% of the Hispanic vote. To say "if everyone eligible to vote actually voted in this state, we would already be blue" ignores that reality. It also ignores that Texas Republicans have governed much more moderately regarding issues important to Hispanics than Republicans in other states. We haven't had a Pete Wilson in Texas, and you have to look at the heat Rick Perry took on the national stage over several of those issues. Finally - one of the three highest ranking state wide office holders is Hispanic, and Republican.

Apparently I must spread some rep around before giving you any. So here it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin