Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 7,896 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had LASIK done?
What was your experience?
I'm looking to get information from someone who has had LASIK done in Austin.
I'm ready to get out of contacts. Just trying to narrow down my options of where to go and what the general cost range is.

Last edited by Debsi; 06-01-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:59 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Mine was 15 years ago, and not 'blade free', I don't think (not sure on what all has changed since '99); however, I can tell you I don't miss contacts a bit. I just recently started wearing reading glasses, though .

At the time, it was about $3k. Pick a Dr. (not just a place) that has done many thousands of the procedures. The rate of complications is almost directly proportional to the experience of the Dr.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
I'll be watching this thread as well to see if anyone has recent experience.

I did my usual amount of fairly extensive research about 2 years ago and decided that when I get this done, I will go with Dr. Dell at Dell Laser Consultants. It was just under $6000 for both eyes which is more expensive than other places so I'm still waiting on the right time, but it really looks like they know what they're doing there. I definitely don't want to skimp on something that involves someone slicing my eyeballs with lasers. There are many positive reviews out there.

Intralase LASIK | Laser Vision Correction | iLASIK Procedure | Austin TX

Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
i got mine done about 6 months ago at austin eye. They were good and about 5-6K.

keep in mind that lasik creates a flap that never fully heals. PRK takes longer for you to see and hurts more (3-5 days instead of same day), but there is no flap that can come up.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
You can always wait until you're old enough to need cataract surgery. That fixes your eyes permanently.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:22 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
Both my husband and I did, it and worked great for me ,it did not work very good for my husband he still has to wear glasses . Would I do it again for me yes Hubby No!

Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 AM

Imhad mine done 2 months ago at austin eye by the older DR wong. They were very good, cost about 5K and I could see the same day.

They used machines to measure my eye vs doing a manual eye test.

As I mentioned before, look at PRK because lasik creates a flap that never heals. It also cuts the nerves in the eye that are responsible for tearing. This is possibly what causes people a lifetime of dry eyes.

Last edited by Debsi; 06-01-2014 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Discussing moderation is against the TOS

Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 7,896 times
Thanks for the info.
Austin97 I will definitely look into PRK. I deal with dry eyes now, one of my reasons for wanting LASIK. The Texas heat in the summer does not help. I'm 33 and have been wearing contacts since I was 11. I'm so ready to be done with them.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Imhad mine done 2 months ago at austin eye by the older DR wong. They were very good, cost about 5K and I could see the same day.

They used machines to measure my eye vs doing a manual eye test.

As I mentioned before, look at PRK because lasik creates a flap that never heals. It also cuts the nerves in the eye that are responsible for tearing. This is possibly what causes people a lifetime of dry eyes.
"Never heals?" That is a bit dramatic. It obviously DOES heal. I believe the data shows that most Lasik patients have temporary dryness.

PRK also carries a higher risk of infection than Lasik.

I had Lasik done almost 15 years ago. My vision is no longer 20/20 - hence I am considering an update.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
"Never heals?" That is a bit dramatic. It obviously DOES heal. I believe the data shows that most Lasik patients have temporary dryness.

PRK also carries a higher risk of infection than Lasik.

I had Lasik done almost 15 years ago. My vision is no longer 20/20 - hence I am considering an update.
LASIK Flap Dislocation - The Flap Never Heals

Dr. John Kanellopoulos: “There was evidence presented by Emory University’s Henry Edelhauser at this year’s Refractive Surgery Subspecialty Day at the Academy of Ophthalmology meeting that the LASIK flap never actually heals onto the underlying stroma, especially centrally... This was a real eye-opener for me..." (Review of Ophthalmology 2/1/2009)

"To put it more simply, the corneal flap after LASIK provides no more corneal strength than the wearing of a contact lens." William Jory, MD. J Refract Surg. 2004 May-Jun;20(3):286.

"There is a high risk of potential traumatic flap problems after LASIK and it is not recommended in army service". Xiao JH, Zhang MN, Jiang CH, Zhang Y, Qiu HY. Laser in situ keratomileusis surgery is not safe for military personnel. Chin J Traumatol. 2012 Apr 1;15(2):77-80.

"These flaps can be lifted forever, and I guess they can dislocate forever, so we have to inform our patients of that." Samir A. Melki, MD, PhD, Harvard Medical School. (EyeWorld, September 2001)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: