Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:55 PM

17 posts, read 18,445 times

Advertisements

We've seen how much Austin has grown in the past decade, especially the North Austin area. What are the next up and coming areas of growth and development now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 06:54 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times
South east Austin.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
South east Austin.
any reason why besides being less dense?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:13 PM

436 posts, read 571,423 times
I do not know if it is about to get better or worse but North East Austin is about to change, a lot of new construction going on in just my neighborhood.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
I do not know if it is about to get better or worse but North East Austin is about to change, a lot of new construction going on in just my neighborhood.
Are you talking about the Pflugerville area?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothd4 View Post
Less dense, more space, closeish to downtown. There’s also development out that way. It’s still better than west Austin price wise. I was/am looking for apartments and east if 35 on slaughter is a good $200 less a month than west slaughter.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 03-06-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 08:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothd4 View Post
It would likely make more sense to you if you lived here.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
South east Austin.
I agree with that, that is if Southeast Austin 78744 is bordered by approximately South of Ben White and North of Slaughter, East of Congress and West of Nuchles Crossing.

Southeast Austin seems like it's the last area of town to gentrifi and has not developed nowhere near as fast as the rest of the city.

The picture of the house that the op posted looks pretty much identical to many of the houses in Dove Springs. I wouldn't call it ghetto, but it's definitely a lower middle class area. On the far east side of Dove Springs are many new homes that look really nice.

Much of that area is located in Dove Springs 78744. It doesn't seem seem to be near as bad as it use to be, as far as gang bangers and a relatively high crime rate goes. I use to see alot of teenagers hanging out in the parking lot at the convenience store at the NW corner of Stassney and Pleasant Valley. It didn't look too inviting. I never stopped there. It looked like trouble just waiting to happen and I wasn't looking for trouble.

Dove Springs crime often made front page news back in the late 80's/early 90's. For several years, the mid to late 1980's to the early 1990's, I believe it was the only neighborhood in Austin that had a 9 or 10pm curfew for school age kids on school nights. Now-a-days Dove Springs doesn't seem bad at all. There is no curfew and you no longer see teenagers loitering In convenience store parking lots, anymore. I think whatever steps were taken to improve the area, must have worked.

I go over there several times a week, and I never feel uncomfortable or afraid for my safety. I wouldn't want to live over there unless it was the only part of town I could afford a place to live.

Stassney Lane heading east towards Montopolis, there's about a 2 mile stretch of undeveloped land on both sides of Stassney as far as the eye can see. It looks very wilderness. I bet within 10 years that entire wilderness area will be filled with stores, houses and apartments.

It's just a matter of time.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-06-2018 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I agree with that, that is if Southeast Austin 78744 is bordered by approximately South of Ben White and North of Slaughter, East of Congress and West of Nuchles Crossing.

Southeast Austin seems like it's the last area of town to gentrifi and has not developed nowhere near as fast as the rest of the city.

The picture of the house that the op posted looks pretty much identical to many of the houses in Dove Springs. I wouldn't call it ghetto, but it's definitely a lower middle class area. On the far east side of Dove Springs are many new homes that look really nice.

Much of that area is located in Dove Springs 78744. It doesn't seem seem to be near as bad as it use to be, as far as gang bangers and a relatively high crime rate goes. I use to see alot of teenagers hanging out in the parking lot at the convenience store at the NW corner of Stassney and Pleasant Valley. It didn't look too inviting. I never stopped there. It looked like trouble just waiting to happen and I wasn't looking for trouble.

Dove Springs crime often made front page news back in the late 80's/early 90's. For several years, the mid to late 1980's to the early 1990's, I believe it was the only neighborhood in Austin that had a 9 or 10pm curfew for school age kids on school nights. Now-a-days Dove Springs doesn't seem bad at all. There is no curfew and you no longer see teenagers loitering In convenience store parking lots, anymore. I think whatever steps were taken to improve the area, must have worked.

I go over there several times a week, and I never feel uncomfortable or afraid for my safety. I wouldn't want to live over there unless it was the only part of town I could afford a place to live.

Stassney Lane heading east towards Montopolis, there's about a 2 mile stretch of undeveloped land on both sides of Stassney as far as the eye can see. It looks very wilderness. I bet within 10 years that entire wilderness area will be filled with stores, houses and apartments.

It's just a matter of time.
The longer I am here the more I understand the plight of this area. The area has generally been neglected for its topography and its history as being an area of segregation. It was particularly hard hit during the Halloween floods of 2015 (or was it '16? I think it was '15). Educationally, it has a middle school that is going to, by most accounts, be taken over by TEA at the end of this school year. With that said, there is not a high school that serves the neighborhood. There are few clinics and healthcare options for the neighborhood outside of driving to the Community Care on Riverside or some type of new clinic that is going to get put up in Del Valle. I'm also unsure about grocery options. Would this even be considered a food desert? I feel like the bubble that surrounds the area in this cloud of history and just general blahness may burst, but as you said, it's going to take a long time. Perhaps with the Easton Park and Good Night Ranch areas getting built up the areas surrounding may benefit; which happened around the Mueller area. I've found some new (built within the last two years) apartment complexes on the south side of Bluff Springs that if anywhere else in the city would be over $1k. They're closer to $850 a month. However the Mueller area was much better situated within the city limits whereas the other two are much further out. Either way, its a long road for this spot.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:56 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,630,149 times
Del Valle was considered to be in a food desert. I dont know if it still is or not. I thought I had read somewhere HEB as plans to open a store over there.

I don't think Dove Springs is considered to be located in a food desert. Its probably all according to where in Dove Springs a family lives. There's a large HEB on southeast corner of 35 and Wm Cannon; and there is a large Fiesta on the northwest corner of 35 and Stassney. Both are convenient to Dove Springs. Seems like the area took a turn for the worst when Bergstrom Air Force Base closed. There was alot of Bergstrom people that lived there that moved away and I think the area was taken over mostly by renters rather than home owners.

The houses over there are not bad looking. They were built in the 70's, mostly ranch style. There are some nice apartments over there, along Stassney and Wm Cannon, that seems like a renter can get best bang for their buck, compared to similar apartment complexes in other areas of Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin