Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:05 AM

240 posts, read 272,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
South east Austin.
Tell me about it. They are building 4 neighborhoods near me all at once (Easton Park, Goodnight Ranch, Reserve at McKinney Falls and Vista Point). It's hard to imagine that many people moving in, but I guess I'll know when traffic gets crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,641,193 times
There didn't use to be anything on Slaughter east of 35. Once you got past the Home Depot and the U-Haul place, there was nothing out that way.

Sometime around the Southpark Meadows shopping center was built, Slaughter east of 35 was widened to 3 lanes in each direction with a median.

Sometime during the years of 1999, 2000, and 2001 after Slaughter was widened, about 2 to 3 miles east of the Home Depot, they put up a real nice trailer park, and that was the only development out they way for several more years.

I was out that way about a month ago for the 1st time in a long time and I see now there are a couple of apartment complexes and at least 1 convenience store gas station. Seems like they were building some new neighborhoods, too.

I know the city must have had big plans for Slaughter east of 35 or they never would have built that 6 lane road when there was nothing out there.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,131,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Stassney Lane heading east towards Montopolis, there's about a 2 mile stretch of undeveloped land on both sides of Stassney as far as the eye can see. It looks very wilderness. I bet within 10 years that entire wilderness area will be filled with stores, houses and apartments.
That stretch is actually less than 1 mile and is almost entirely in the flood plains of Williamson Creek and Onion Creek, so its likely to stay wilderness in the future. Many of the houses in subdivisions in that area have been bought out and demolished by the City because they are now in the flood plain.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:11 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,733,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I was out that way about a month ago for the 1st time in a long time and I see now there are a couple of apartment complexes and at least 1 convenience store gas station. Seems like they were building some new neighborhoods, too.

I looked at those apartment complexes. The prices are significantly lower than the ones west of 35. As mentioned before, I worry about the traffic as things even further east develop more.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:24 AM

Check out this link to The Canvas Apartments on Wm Cannon, just west of South 1st Street on the East Bound side. Scroll to the bottom to see the monthly rental rates are listed. It's approximately a 5 minute drive to 35. The complex has been completely remodeled and it looks brand new. It's in one of the most convenient locations in south Austin. About anything you need is around that area. There's a bus stop in front of the complex so if you need to catch # 10 South 1st bus, it's a straight shot to downtown or the 33 Wm Cannon bus to Oak Hill. I lived in that complex for about 4 years in 80's and 90's, when it was called Cooper Hill Apartments. it was very nice and quiet place to live and the rent was always about 20 to 50 $$ cheaper than the apartment complex that is right across Wm Cannon. It used to be called Summer Valley, and it was considered to be a high end complex back in its day. Not sure what the name of is now.

https://www.apartments.com/canvas-ap...in-tx/tlvz5e9/

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-08-2018 at 02:42 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That stretch is actually less than 1 mile and is almost entirely in the flood plains of Williamson Creek and Onion Creek, so its likely to stay wilderness in the future. Many of the houses in subdivisions in that area have been bought out and demolished by the City because they are now in the flood plain.
You're probably right about that. I never measured the distance, but I do know it seemed like it was quite a long drive thru it, so I estimated the distance and it seemed like it was a couple of miles. I wasn't trying to mislead any body with false information, so I appologize for that.

Thanks for allowing me an opportunity to clear that up. I never ever want to give out wrong information in this CD forum.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:27 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,076,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothd4 View Post
We've seen how much Austin has grown in the past decade, especially the North Austin area. What are the next up and coming areas of growth and development now?
I think, aside from SouthEast Austin, most growth will happen in areas not called "Austin" on the mailing address.

Jarrell, Killeen, Temple, Harker Heights to the north. Georgetown has already achieved "Austin" prices, so that's the next level out, to Jarrell.

Up to 183/29 to the NW, Liberty Hill, far west GT, Leander.

Note that the above are all in Williamson County which tends to stay out ahead of growth with infrustructure. Travis County and particularly the city of Austin are anti-growth and stiffle it in every way possible (or activists do)

Far east is harder to predict because of 130, utility issues, traffic. It ain't easy getting into Austin from Bastrop, Manor, Elgin, but those areas will surely keep growing.

South, Buda/Kyle are already also priced up to "Austin" pricing, so Luling, Lockhart may become interesting outposts.

All this talk about CodeNext and bring "affordability" to Austin is pure non-sense. Austin will never again be affordable, period. Ain't gonna happen. We've jumped the shark a while back now.

Steve

Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I think, aside from SouthEast Austin, most growth will happen in areas not called "Austin" on the mailing address.

Jarrell, Killeen, Temple, Harker Heights to the north. Georgetown has already achieved "Austin" prices, so that's the next level out, to Jarrell.

Up to 183/29 to the NW, Liberty Hill, far west GT, Leander.

Note that the above are all in Williamson County which tends to stay out ahead of growth with infrustructure. Travis County and particularly the city of Austin are anti-growth and stiffle it in every way possible (or activists do)

Far east is harder to predict because of 130, utility issues, traffic. It ain't easy getting into Austin from Bastrop, Manor, Elgin, but those areas will surely keep growing.

South, Buda/Kyle are already also priced up to "Austin" pricing, so Luling, Lockhart may become interesting outposts.

All this talk about CodeNext and bring "affordability" to Austin is pure non-sense. Austin will never again be affordable, period. Ain't gonna happen. We've jumped the shark a while back now.

Steve
Jarrell is, indeed, growing like a weed (sob!), but it has a ways to go - we just got an actual grocery store (Sun Fresh - think something like Brookshire Bros.). I can't see Killeen being attractive to the folks that move further out from Austin; Harker Heights, maybe, but the whole vibe is wrong, even though I love to shop there and plan shopping trips when I head up there to show/list houses. Salado and Belton are much more likely to appeal (and, in fact, I just closed on a house in Salado for a Dell employee - very nice house, upscale touches, at much less than it would cost even in Georgetown never mind Austin. But Salado is so far managing to deal well with growth and maintain its identity. (I live close enough to both Jarrell and Salado that Google Maps tends to switch whether I live in Jarrell or Salado for the same address.) Belton's a nice little town that seems to be overlooked.

Kyle is still a bit below Austin pricing (I must have looked at every house in Kyle recently for a client who originally wanted to buy in Leander but Kyle was a better price for the same homes). Bastrop is unrecognizable its grown so much and feels larger than Lockhart even though Lockhart is bigger. Luling is still quite a drive and has the whole "oil field smell" thing going on (but then there's the City Market BBQ aroma to help counteract that).

Manor/Elgin have the 290 toll road right there so that helps getting in.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 AM

12,960 posts, read 13,386,884 times
Far East & SE Austin will get a boost when the Ed Bluestein improvements are completed. Plus the 130 corridor will see more development in the 71 area.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:29 AM

17 posts, read 18,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Far East & SE Austin will get a boost when the Ed Bluestein improvements are completed. Plus the 130 corridor will see more development in the 71 area.
Is that area in the process of being developed yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin