Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times

Advertisements

How long does it take you, honestly. From Howard Lane in Austin to 5th street, it takes 45 minutes. So from Georgetown, that would take over an hour. That sounds pretty bad to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
You must be going IH35 at rush hour, if it takes you that long. (I NEVER take IH35 at rush hour; there are so many other quicker ways!) The times that I gave you are the average time it takes me to make those trips on a regular basis. Surely you didn't mean to imply that I was telling you times that it took me and wasn't speaking truthfully?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 AM

45 posts, read 173,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
"Nicer" as in ....

1 - family friendly, but not ALL about kids

2 - good schools

2 - sense of community (people socialize, not just cooped in their house).

3 - have good commute into Austin

4 - have easy access to outdoor activities (biking, hiking, etc)

5 - are quaint and interesting in and of themselves (not just "bedroom communities")

6 - are between 250k - 400k for 4-5 bedroom home (so far we work from home so need 1-2 offices, plus 3 bedrooms - which add up to 4-5 "bedrooms")

I would suggest Dripping Springs (east side which some is qualified as austin), Bee Cave & Lakeway and all are 30 minutes to downtown (capital). I just drove pflugerville, hutto, taylor & several times last week and I just want to say that all of these take a lot longer than what they appear on a map. I was also in leander & liberty hill and even though toll roads help it is still a heck of a long way from "downtown".

Old 04-13-2008, 01:08 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Yes, I'm talking about rush hour. If it isn't rush hour, Georgetown to Austin downtown will still take 30 minutes, it still gets congested during the weekends and might take longer.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM

371 posts, read 1,362,507 times
Default here's what I'm hearing

So, let's see if i'm getting it down:

Newer communities that fit most of my descriptions but aren't really quaint and such:

Circle C Ranch or Meridian, Steiner Ranch, River Place, Avery Ranch

Quaint community fitting my description, but possibly a painful commute into parts of Austin:

Georgetown (am I reading correctly that it can take 1 hour to travel 15 miles into Austin from here?????)

And these fit in, but don't know much else about them:

Old Town Round Rock, Bee Caves, Dripping Springs, Lakeway

**I should say that since my husband will be working from home his commute is not an issue during rush hour (though we'd like to get into Austin often and easily for entertainment - we're also considering moving into the city proper but $$ and wanting yard space are an issue).

I am currently at home, but want to plan ahead for two things

1) getting the kids to school (will either go to our local great public school or the Waldorf school ... is there more than one?), and

2) possible future employment either in one of the school districts or at the University of Texas - so rush hour commute might become an issue for me down the road and I HATE commuting LOL.

I appreciate all the heads up regarding traffic.

Quote:
Where have you looked so far?
We're at the beginning of the process, so not many places. My fantasy is Barton Springs right in Austin - but seems too expensive maybe. It's still in consideration, but I'm trying to learn about the suburbs as well as a nice one would also be an option.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
So, let's see if i'm getting it down:

Newer communities that fit most of my descriptions but aren't really quaint and such:

Circle C Ranch or Meridian, Steiner Ranch, River Place, Avery Ranch

Quaint community fitting my description, but possibly a painful commute into parts of Austin:

Georgetown (am I reading correctly that it can take 1 hour to travel 15 miles into Austin from here?????)

And these fit in, but don't know much else about them:

Old Town Round Rock, Bee Caves, Dripping Springs, Lakeway

**I should say that since my husband will be working from home his commute is not an issue during rush hour (though we'd like to get into Austin often and easily for entertainment - we're also considering moving into the city proper but $$ and wanting yard space are an issue).

I am currently at home, but want to plan ahead for two things

1) getting the kids to school (will either go to our local great public school or the Waldorf school ... is there more than one?), and

2) possible future employment either in one of the school districts or at the University of Texas - so rush hour commute might become an issue for me down the road and I HATE commuting LOL.

I appreciate all the heads up regarding traffic.

We're at the beginning of the process, so not many places. My fantasy is Barton Springs right in Austin - but seems too expensive maybe. It's still in consideration, but I'm trying to learn about the suburbs as well as a nice one would also be an option.

Honestly if you're looking for a quaint community I'd look at Wimberly over Georgetown. If you're willing to spend that much time in the car, Wimberly would fit your criteria more. It's a very pretty little town in the hill country and it has a more rustic feel. However, you made another statement about coming into Austin for entertainment, often and easily.. Well, if you move to any of these places not in Austin, you will end up not coming to Austin that often. I've had friends who've done that expecting the same thing, but this is not L.A. People just don't drive an hour here for entertainment. I'm not sure why, I used to live in Dallas and we did that all the time but now that I live here I pretty much stay around 20 minutes within where I live at all times. Maybe it's because of the roads here, it feels more inconvenient to drive great distances, whereas other cities had wide highways and tollways, loops, etc. Even Austin feels kinda like a small town in some ways, so I'd plan on moving where you want your life to be centered. And for that, I'd recommend Southwest Austin. And yes, they weren't lying about it taking 1 hour or much more to get from Georgetown into Austin during rush hour. Basically the northern areas of Austin, including Roundrock and Georgetown, Phlflugerville, etc. all have to use I-35 and the traffic there is a complete nightmare. Sort of the same for northwest along 183 but not as bad.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,952 times
I live in the sw corner of Round Rock, and my husband works downtown on Congress Ave and commutes at rush hour - it usually takes him 45min-1hr, with closer to 1 - 1 1/2 hours if there is a wreck (which there is regularly, it seems). I worked at UT for several months (standard 8-5 schedule) and had to leave by 7am at the latest to be at my desk at 8am (including parking and walking on campus) and I was often RUNNING into daycare at 6-6:15pm to get my kids... hence, the no-longer-working-at-UT.

Hope that helps with an idea of commute/distance. We are about 20 miles from UT, and again, on the SW corner of Round Rock, so keep in mind that Georgetown is quite a few more miles north of us.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Leander is just a tiny bit NW of Georgetown, so it would also be a long commute.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,362,507 times
Default wow

This is really good information. I hate being in the car excessive amounts of time and, during a daily commute, I know it would get to me. Where we live now is about 1 hour from NYC and, yep, we hardly go there - not because of the traffic, outside of rush hour, that's fine, but because we have small children and going anywhere is inconvenient ... add more than a 20 minute drive, and we often just say forget it.

South West Austin .... tell me more. Isn't that where Barton Hills is? Isn't it too expensive for us?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM

132 posts, read 542,317 times
This is going to be one of those really juicy "my part of town is better than yours and here is why.." threads. Its a bummer to watch people bash others decisions in order to justify there own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin