Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2024, 02:41 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
True, but I guess I was surprised by how instantaneous it was.
Flashback to 'statics and dynamics' (CE 3 0 something, I can't recall the last number). You take out the right point, the whole system is instantly unstable. But yeah, in the movies there would be lots of time to run as the bridge fell and you could jump off at the last instant .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 04:07 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Flashback to 'statics and dynamics' (CE 3 0 something, I can't recall the last number). You take out the right point, the whole system is instantly unstable. But yeah, in the movies there would be lots of time to run as the bridge fell and you could jump off at the last instant .
Yeah it looked like the second it tapped it, kapwoosh.. in the movies atleast there would be suspension cables snapping, cars screeching to a hault, people screaming and all the cinematics but in reality its more like you're just casually driving across a bridge and the very next second you're in the channel. No build up, no warning, one second everything is fine and next you're sleeping with the fishes.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:34 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Remember this Texas bridge collapse after being inadvertently rammed?

https://www.ksat.com/news/national/2...gedy-in-texas/

Old 03-27-2024, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Remember this Texas bridge collapse after being inadvertently rammed?

https://www.ksat.com/news/national/2...gedy-in-texas/
Dang. I just crossed that bridge last weekend. While I was on it I was wondering the 'what if's' should it decide to unify itself with the sea while I or anyone else were on it.. .. I had no idea it had once actually collapsed.

Kinda sucks how fast things go from ordinary to life threatening when it comes to critical infrastructure.

@Trainwreck20 did any of this come your way?

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/we...n-19371990.php

Old 03-27-2024, 09:05 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
No hail, but 0.4" of rain, so I will take it!

Old 03-27-2024, 10:16 PM

Can you see yourself doing this for a living?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40F8mALRukA

Old 03-30-2024, 02:13 PM

I was installing some tire racks in my garage this afternoon to make more space. I needed some help to position the racks and called my mom who's here for the weekend with me to help me position them so I can drill them into the wall. My father came out to watch but he decided to stand on a dismounted door that was on the garage floor that I had moved to clean up the garage. He has dementia / prostate cancer. I wasn't really paying attention to what he was doing at firsf. Should have told him to go back inside.

Anyhow my mother dropped something and he lurched forward to catch it and face planted into the cement ...aaaaand....

There was blood where his face impacted. He's in his 70's and couldn't get up until the Ambulance got here. He was transported to a trauma center in Round Rock. His blood pressure is lower than its supposed to be. Ordinarily he suffers from high blood pressure but I think his doctor is giving him too high of dosages of his meds to combat it. His doctor is still in Atlanta and hasn't found one local yet ...

... I was supposed to be working later today but I guess I'm going to have to take the day off ... I'm with him and he seems to be okay for now but still waiting on the X-Rays to come back.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-30-2024 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-06-2024, 02:01 PM

I took an excursion to see Fredericksburg for the first time. Really nice place. Reminds me a bit of Helen Georgia with the german accenting and all of the wineries. One thing I was alittle surprised about is how early things close there. The place is booming busy but alot of restaurants and shops close at 3pm. Any reason for that?

Old 04-06-2024, 05:35 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I took an excursion to see Fredericksburg for the first time. Really nice place. Reminds me a bit of Helen Georgia with the german accenting and all of the wineries. One thing I was alittle surprised about is how early things close there. The place is booming busy but alot of restaurants and shops close at 3pm. Any reason for that?
Several years ago when Halloween fell on a Saturday we decided to go spend the night in Fredericksburg rather than deal with hours of jumping up to answer the doorbell (I know we are grouchy old farts). We had actually bought tickets for a local theater production but when we got out the place had rolled up the sidewalks and was dead as a door knob! And we are well past the age where we go out late at night but I just thought it was a bit extreme!

Old 04-06-2024, 08:20 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
We were there early last week for a quick day trip.
Had a nice Schnitzel lunch at the Auslander.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Austin Chat Thread-img_5392.jpeg   Official Austin Chat Thread-img_5390.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin