Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 04:48 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There's people that drive that distance daily for work. I bet N4C would scoff at the idea of that being far. (I walked five minutes to my non- remote work today so any commute sucks...lol).
N4C is also capable of pretty much driving across the country like a daily commute so my definitions of far are a bit skewed.

My opinion is this. Far is subjective but it is more based on local amenities and locality to work than it is distance from an actual city hub. Example, Cumming GA is further away from Downtown Atlanta than Liberty Hill and Georgetown are from Downtown Austin. Cumming however has more amenities than both Liberty Hill and Georgetown and is growing just as rapidly. There is one difference, Cumming is heavily influenced by the job market of Alpharetta (a local suburb) so many people who live there are not dependent on commutes into the city. One can live in Cumming and never have to leave its vicinity. It has enough shopping, restaurants and local activities to be self sustaining. Now for me, I particularly don’t find either of the suburbs Georgetown and Liberty Hill to be ‘far’ because I’ve dealt with longer commutes from the cores of cities and Austin particularly is still a pretty small city by my standards. In Atlanta one could travel 50 miles in any direction from the core and still be within the metro pretty easily (largely because of how sprawly ATL is, although it becomes progressively rural faster than most Texan cities do) and I have had commutes between the 2 - 3 Hour range but these were ranging between 40 and 50 miles one way and were largely influenced by traffic.

Liberty Hill by the definition of most major cities is not far by distance, they are just underdeveloped and lack amenities making inter commuting between suburbs more necessary. However it is more necessary to commute for resources, goods and services in Liberty Hill TX than it is from a suburb even further away from a city hub such as Cumming GA ... so far me far is more contingent on how far do I need to go to reach practical amenities. You can have a suburb such as Manor of which would only be 15 - 20 minutes away from Downtown Austin if it were properly connected and there was no traffic, but it lacks amenities and infrastructure making it difficult to commute into the city thus it also carries an exurban feel.

Lampass is a different story, not only is it underdeveloped but also infeasible for a practical 8x5 work week commute into Austin.

For me, when I think of far I think of feasibility and there are a lot more factors that go into that than just distance to the core of the city.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-26-2021 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 11:38 AM

55 posts, read 76,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axorb View Post
Hey y'all.

Kind of off-topic to core Austin group but since I live here I thought some old time Texans would be able to weigh in and provide some information. I have the opportunity to invest either in 5acre land either in Lampasas or Kerrville. Price wise both are very similar. Main criteria is to be close enough to HEB (15 minute drive) while still be able to enjoy country life with hill country views.

My wife and I really enjoyed our Kerrville/Ingram trip few months ago so I am leaning bit towards it. But the proximity of Lampasas to Austin is hard to beat. Theoretically which area would be better in terms of investment (not in terms of ROI but more as in safe, peaceful and close to basic amenities). Any thoughts, feedback or suggestions would be really appreciated !

Did you end up buying in Lampasas?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:52 AM

109 posts, read 83,438 times
I actually went up more north to copperas cove, i however should have stick to lampasas . With the 183 project in full swing, i think Lampasas will be the next liberty hill, still quite a few 5 - 10 acres parcels available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin