Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times

Advertisements

West Round Rock includes the neighborhoods on either side of 183 - you are right by the Lakeline Mall, the new Super Target, etc. Or at least, RRISD still extends all over there. I personally think (and have heard from many) that 35 traffic is worse than 183, so I personally would rather live over by 183 and use that for a commute than 35.

And don't be deceived by the very broad range of what meets "acceptable" ratings - it is widely known that Stony Point is far behind McNeil and Round Rock HS, and as seen by the ratings, Westwood ranks higher.

East Round Rock is more affordable, however. Usually, housing prices follow what schools are best (in the suburbs anyway) so that is also an indicator of where the "better" schools are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 01:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Quote:
East Round Rock is more affordable, however. Usually, housing prices follow what schools are best (in the suburbs anyway) so that is also an indicator of where the "better" schools are.
Well, what are the housing prices in West Round Rock? I live in a golf course community (Forest Creek) where the lowest home price is in the $320k range, and goes up to probably $800k? That's considered cheaper or more affordable?

Quote:
you are right by the Lakeline Mall, the new Super Target,
Yikes, that's seriously in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps that's my own perception coming from a more densely populated area (Seattle and suburbs) but I would go crazy if I lived all the way out there and wanted to go shopping, or to some of the restaurants off of 35, or going into Austin.

I don't find the traffic on 35 to be an issue - of course, I don't commute with any regularity during rush hour times and my husband works at Dell, which is literally 8 minutes away or so.

Quote:
And don't be deceived by the very broad range of what meets "acceptable" ratings - it is widely known that Stony Point is far behind McNeil and Round Rock HS, and as seen by the ratings, Westwood ranks higher.
Agreed, I have heard some negativity about Stony Point, and feel good about the fact that once my children are High School age there will be a new highschool, well established, to service the Forest Creek, Lake Point, Sonoma and other surrounding subdivisions.

I think that the way you are painting the "east" side of Round Rock is inaccurate - and kind of making it sound "lower class" or something. Are you from here originally? Sounds like the "West" side breeds an air of snobbery too

Old 01-31-2007, 02:12 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Yikes, that's seriously in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps that's my own perception coming from a more densely populated area (Seattle and suburbs) but I would go crazy if I lived all the way out there and wanted to go shopping, or to some of the restaurants off of 35, or going into Austin.
I think what is "in the middle of nowhere" is all relative to where you are coming from and where you work/live/play. Lakeline Mall is hardly in the middle of nowhere. There are several large master planned communities around the mall, and there is as much shopping in that general area as there is in parts of east RR. Not to mention that you are 15 minutes or less from the Arboretum and all of the shopping and dining there which include places like Eddie V's/Z'Tejas - not the same old chain restaurants you find along every major highway. Also 15 minutes to Lake Travis and all of the cool restaurants etc. there.

living off the I-35 is really not that much closer to downtown Austin when you're dealing with constant traffic and traffic jams! I think there's a reason that most of the older Austinites here on the board advise to avoid I-35 at all possible costs.

I don't think Tracey was being snobby. I think that perhaps she was trying to articulate a more general perception about east v. west RR that potentially can be backed up by both school data and home values. For me, living in NW Austin, east RR "feels" way farther out and way less "Austin-y" to me than the area near Lakeline Mall. But if you work at Dell, then Dell is probably the center of your universe and all else orbits around it...

The important thing is that you are happy where you are, east side, west side or upside down, right?

Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times
Thanks gigi, that's exactly what I was trying to portray - the general sense of what I feel (admittedly as a recent transplant) of east vs west RR.

And I hardly have any sort of bias or deep seated superiority or snobbery - I've only been in Texas for 6 months! I'm going solely based on all I have heard and learned myself about RRISD - as someone who currently has a child in RRISD and was also offered a position with RRISD.

I've got nothing against east RR - I don't particularly like being over in the area around 35 (too built up for my tastes) but that's just me. I'm more concerned about the education, and from everything I have read, researched and heard by word of mouth, west RR is considered stronger academically. That's all I was trying to convey.

Sorry if I hit some sort of "west vs east" nerve!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
then Dell is probably the center of your universe and all else orbits around it...
Seriously? :lol: I don't think Dell is the center of anyone's universe.

I may not be an "old Austinite" on this board - but I don't find the traffic on 35 too bad, in comparison to other cities. I also don't travel 35 that much - but can get to all the those places you listed in the same general time frame using the toll roads.

Quote:
I think what is "in the middle of nowhere" is all relative to where you are coming from
Agreed, and said as much in my other reply.

Quote:
Lakeline Mall is hardly in the middle of nowhere.
Perception, again, perhaps. Though, prior to the toll road use getting to Lakeline Mall was ridiculous, in my opinion... and one time, we were there, and completely got lost coming home and ended up in an area of Austin or ... somewhere that we had never seen and didn't recognize any of the main roads... I still think it's kind of out there...

Quote:
I think that perhaps she was trying to articulate a more general perception about east v. west RR that potentially can be backed up by both school data and home values.
Not entirely. If we are talking highschool, ok ... and I would love more links and general information about the various high schools in RR and test scores. TIA!!

As for home values? Again, I ask... what are the home prices in west Round Rock?

Old 01-31-2007, 02:29 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
This is funny...I didn't even know there was an East and West Round Rock. Guess you learn something new every day!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I don't particularly like being over in the area around 35
I love the little historic town of Round Rock - but other than that small area, I do agree with you. Where I live is NOT in that area.... though I would jump at the chance to buy one of the cute, and grand, victorians down on, or just off Main.

I was half-joking and good naturedly ribbing about the snobbery comment, but I do think you were slightly coming off that way. Perhaps I haven't seen all I should in the other areas ...

I also have a child in RRISD, two actually... but one in first and one in PPCD. Perhaps my little neighborhood elementary is the exception to the rule - but I think it's a stellar school. We are very pleased. I am with you on the high school issue though... but I do think that's being addressed.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
Home prices in West RR...they range everywhere from the high 100s all the way up to the 500s and more. You'd probably need to compare two similar square footages in comparable communities to get an accurate comparison. Can I use the word compare enough times in the same sentence? I am not sure whether the home prices are in fact higher in West RR...I said potentially they are higher because there is a perception that west is better.

I gave up debating when I quit my law job, so I won't spend any more time trying to defend either side..I really don't care and have absolutely no time to go find source materia! I'm a lover, not a fighter!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,289 times
Default prices west rr

Prices are higher in West RR for a reason. There seems to be a much larger disparity between haves and have nots on the east side. Look at census maps; Forest Creek is an oasis of affluency in a lower income area.
West seems more uniformly mid to upper middle class. Although all the RR high schools are somewhat diverse, Westwood pulls in almost all the NW Austin neighborhoods so the student population is in general more affluent and the test scores on average are higher.
Things look to change or rebalance with the new high school south and all the higher education development around Tera Vista--as long as they keep building nice neighborhoods.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Yep, that would be West Round Rock. The only differences between the two seem to be what you already found out on your own I find it interesting that our playgroup has lots of moms from West Round Rock who come across the freeway to do things out this way more than the other way around, except for Brushy Creek Lake Park. So I'm guessing there's more out this way to do. (Limited to the RR area. I know there's stuff all over the place for kids)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin