Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:40 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
Often, the answer is affordability.

I don't have a lot of money, so I tend to look at outlying areas to get more house and land for my money. Some the people who live in the more rural areas do tend to be more "conservative," but you'll find some "liberals" even out here in the sticks. Whatever one's political persuasion, I don't really care so long as they're not trying to take my money or get in my business.
No I totally get that. But would you shop for a home in a "conservative" area, or would you tell your realtor you looking within a certain price rage? On the flip side I think Hyde Park looks really broken down in parts... I think some liberals call that "character"

Are there neighborhoods for us political moderates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,506 times
Quote:
But would you shop for a home in a "conservative" area, or would you tell your realtor you looking within a certain price rage?
I can't speak for anyone else, but politics has never entered the equation for me when looking for real estate. I'd guess that more of my brother's neighbors in San Marcos lean a little to the right overall, while more of his coworkers lean a little to the left, but he gets along great with all of them.

I have neighbors in Alabama that I have known for many years that I have no idea about their politics, nor they about me.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
When I lived in Georgetown, I received a flyer in my mailbox asking me to support the protest of the Georgetown High senior science book because it had a full picture of the male anatomy. It wasn't the fact of the letter, it was the way that it was sensationalized to say "we don't want our HS senior girls seeing THAT". There was a male strip show that came to town, and it received a protest from some of the local women. Their exact words (printed in the AAS) said "that's fine for that Soddom and Gomorrah city to the south of us, but not here in Georgetown".

Admittedly, that was over 15 years ago, but I don't know that it's changed much. Anyway, that's how I deemed it to be conservative.
I don't know about 15 years ago (we only moved into the general area of Georgetown and started being there a LOT a little over 12 years ago), but that's certainly not the Georgetown that I know today.

Which does not mean that there aren't some people like that in Georgetown today, just as there are in Austin, come to that, or New York City, for that matter, but it's not my experience living and working in Georgetown. So things have evidently changed a LOT since you lived there.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:38 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but politics has never entered the equation for me when looking for real estate. I'd guess that more of my brother's neighbors in San Marcos lean a little to the right overall, while more of his coworkers lean a little to the left, but he gets along great with all of them.

I have neighbors in Alabama that I have known for many years that I have no idea about their politics, nor they about me.
I would agree with you but it's different in Austin. I think that during the election period, living in central Austin in one of the charming neighborhoods with character (Hyde Park etc.) if you did not have an Obama sign you were a pariah. There were Obama block parties, caucusing for Obama at the local elementary schools, and just general mania going on. I do not live central anymore (moved several years ago south) but I work there, and I am moderate-libertarian. I work with people who all live in the center of town, and besides me I do not think they would encouter anymore who isn't a liberal democrat in most of their lives. Many of them live in a bubble. I'd recommend outlying areas - like South Austin, or north central - for more political diversity. But to answer your question, no, it should normally never come up when looking for a neighorhood. But Austin's different. It's more in your face.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Interestingly, I lived in central Austin for many years, and my son still does (leases the house from us), and except for election years when the political animals on both sides of the fence go a little crazy, while, yes, those political animals are with us always (doesn't everyone have them, folks for whom politics is the be all/end all of life?), I couldn't tell you what the politics of my neighbors was unless they happened to have bumper stickers - and even then, I'd have to know they were the ones who put them on, not that the car didn't come with them.

It can,as said, get pretty crazy in certain areas during election time, but for the most part, no one really cares what your politics is and you CAN find conservatives in the middle of town. If you care.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:15 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,506 times
Quote:
I would agree with you but it's different in Austin...
That is interesting. I haven't spent enough time in Austin proper on my visits to really learn the city.

I recall seeing maybe 2 or 3 political signs of any sort in my brother's subdivision (of about 50 homes) in San Marcos during the last election cycle, which was very similar to my home neighborhood in Alabama, where I saw maybe 8 or 9 signs total out of about 150 houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin